• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by igm.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 29er curious, any tips, recommendations or bargains?
  • bol

I’ve finally decided to listen to those around me and give a 29er a go. I don’t want to spend a fortune straight off, as apart from anything else it will have to double as my town/commuting/pub bike too. It won’t be replacing my shiny 26er, but I’d like it to be good enough for me to be able to tell if it should do one day. I’m 6’4″ and 14 stone if that has any bearing? What do you reckon?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Inbred………and get an on one.

clubber
    Free Member

wait until a second hand Swift comes up. buy it.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The Genesis on the classifieds

pedalhead
    Free Member

yep, I’ve not ridden an on-one, but the Swift is a fantastic frame. What’s your budget?

bol

That was quick. My budget is probably about £500 all-in rigid, or a bit more with a bouncy fork.

Picto
    Free Member

Value for money the On One takes a lot of beating, esp if you can pick up a decent used frame. Really liked mine, cheapest bike I have had in ages and was the most ridden while I owned it. Have a friend who has a swift and he loves it.

They hold their value too so you can sell on should you feel the need to upgrade in future.

TiRed

I bought a (barely) used Kona Unit off the classified and love it. I’ve ridden a Swift and liked that too. Both will take more than one gear, although mine is a single speed.

bol

Nothing in the classifieds in my size for a while. I’m starting to think I’m going to have to revise my budget an look new frame-wise.

bigsi
    Free Member

The Viper 29er frame is a good starting point.

Think there’s one currently for sale in the classifieds 😕

Swifts are a great option but don’t come up that often & hold their value well.

Never tried an On-One but look like good value for money if you have to buy new.

There are a whole host of new options coming to the market in 2012 so might be worth holding off for a month or so but also consider the Niner EMD,

For shear value for money if you’re looking at a complete bike then look at the Scott’s. The full bikes start from £850 IIRC.

ton

i have probably owned more 29ers than most on here (15)
    the nicest riding one i have owned is the singular swift.
    so good i got another one. 8)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’;m 6’2″ and 14 stone, with a 35″ inside leg

I have currently two 29ers

A large swift (2nd one i’ve owned) with drops and a Fat front tyre pace RC129 in a large both fit me fine and ride beautifully,

I’d really look through classifieds and ebay and wait for a good 2nd hand one. i built my first swift rigid for £560 with deore hydro brakes, chainset and some nice finsing kits then upgraded till i bought a new frame

marvincooper

What is it about the Swift that eveyone seems to rave about it? I’m plotting and planning for a new bike next year and the Swift is on my mind but only cos everyone who has one on here seems to love it. What is so good about it?

Sorry if that was a thread hijack….

postierich
    Free Member

Give it 6 months and there will be loads on classifieds 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

is it loved any more than say I love my Ti29er or original scandium Scandal 29er? You’d need some double blind trials to find out 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

reasonable price, good handling, looks good and the company owner is friendly, approachable and helpful. pretty easy to like really.

igm

ton – Member
    i have probably owned more 29ers than most on here (15)
    the nicest riding one i have owned is the singular swift.
    so good i got another one.

Ton – you’ll be needing to try a Pegasus – sadly mine (large) is not in your size. But you do need to try one.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘29er curious, any tips, recommendations or bargains?’ is closed to new replies.