• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 29er commuter inspiration for a Hilly Tarmac-Fireroad commute
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Currently searching through the bay and forum for sale ads for my current build.

Does anyone else have a commute that is a good mix of tarmac back roads and forest fire roads?

8.2miles (5 off road) 1,100ft of climbing

What bike/setup are you using?

ontor
    Free Member

Karate monkey built up as a monstercross bike

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I use a CX. Can’t say I would want a 29er mtb for road climbing

yossarian
    Free Member

I had exactly that kind of commute. Back roads/gravel track with a couple of steep hills chucked in.

I built up a cheapo hardtail with steel forks, 1 x 9 gearing, flat bars/bar ends and super strong trekking tyres. When it retired last year I’d racked up over 15,000 commuting miles. It was the perfect set up. The tyres were HEAVY and a little sketchy in really, really bad conditions but I reckon I had only 4 or 5 punctures in five years.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Its more looking at the fun option. If I need to be at work quicker I take the road bike.

The forest if more appealing. I’ve tried a cx bike in the past but a couple of the rougher lanes my 29er with wider tyres was just more comfortable.

The schwalbe marathon mondial tyres are looking like favourites.

kja78
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking along the same sort of lines. Currently use a 26er Scott Aspect with rigid forks,rack and Specialized Crossroad tyres. It does the job but is heavy.

Tempted by the Hoy Shizuoka from Evans,but as I like a project thinking about getting a 29er Scale and putting some rigid forks on it.

cookeaa

Hmmm, mixed on/off road commute, moderately efficient climbing, reasonable handling, flat bars?

What you want is a hybrid “flat-barred CX bike” 😉 with chubbier tyres say 45mm / 1.5″ “gravel” or MTB semi-slick type tyres…

Pinnacle Lithium?

sheck

I managed to squeeze 29×1.8″ tyres, set up tubeless in my salsa vaya… With midge bars and bb7 discs it’s got everything covered

al2000

Another vote for a Pinnacle Lithium, spot on for what you describe.

I’ve got a similar commute and ride a Tripster ACE which is great, but think I would go for a Lithium if I didn’t have it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

14 miles crossing the Quantocks similar amount of climbing.
    I use a Whyte Saxon Cross with Vittoria XN Pro 31mm semi-slick tyres.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

For bang for the buck right now, you would do well to surpass a 13 Incline Alpha (even though it is a 27.5er iirc), currently reduced to £410 in the Spend and save Halfords promo, which you can reduce by another 10% with British Cycling membership.

core

I’d go for a light/racey build on a 29er mtb frame, rigid carbon fork, used scandal frame, 1X drivetrain, semi slick tyres. Nearly as fast as a cx bike, more comfortable and versatile.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Felt Nine 30 with On One carbon forks with Singlespeed 34 x 18 drivetrain.

Bar ends too naturally!

Muke
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of just fitting a couple of On-One B.S.C. Type 1 tyres and trying my 29er MTB for a mainly tarmac 8 mile commute so will watch this thread with interest.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘29er commuter inspiration for a Hilly Tarmac-Fireroad commute’ is closed to new replies.