Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 26 & 29, a question
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

If one had equivalent frames with 26″ and 29″ wheels, presumable the wheelbase of the second would be greater, and the overall length increased.

By how much, thinking if the bigger bike would fit in my car, where 6″ would make it too long.

scotroutes

The wheelbase could be the same. It’s measured from axle to axle. So, it would depend on other frame geometry factors. More modern (XC) 29ers tend to have short chainstays.

A 29″ wheel is (around) 3″ greater in diameter, not radius, so expect the bike to be 3″ longer overall.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Wheelbase would be exactly the same.
    Overall length would increase by 3″ approx excl tyres.

lerk
    Free Member

Wheelbase would only be the same if they brought the BB forward and left massive toe overlap on the front which in reality they won’t have…

I’d expect 3″ longer wheelbase and 6″ overall not taking into account different head angle to adjust for trail etc…

mboy
    Free Member

Wheelbase would be exactly the same.

No it won’t. Wheelbase usually increases, but not as much as you’d expect. Chainstay lengths increase, but not by the inch and a half you’d expect, usually about half of that. Then at the front end, 29ers typically have a slightly steeper head angle to compensate, but not so steep to make the bike twitchy (which it would be if it had the same wheelbase as an equivalent 26″ bike).

Then there’s the extra overhangs… Another inch and a half at each end.

I’d expect a 29r HT of similar design/spec to be about 4-5 inches longer than an equivalent 26″, measured from end to end, so yes they are a bit more of a PITA to transport. Can get a medium sized 26″ HT or my road bike inside my 3 series touring (rear seats flat) with both wheels on no problem, but have to take the front wheel out on our 29er’s.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I read equivalent as being the same frame where the wheelbase wouldn’t change.
    Surely the best way to answer the question is to look at the manufacturer’s website and get the dimensions from there, then add on the 3″ plus tyres, wouldn’t it?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks all, but particularly mboy for the combination of explanation and experience.

Thinking of replacing a made-to-measure steel HT, so the design parameters wouldn’t differ by much.

Jeffus
    Free Member

My 100mm 29er with front wheel removed is about the same length as my 160mm 26″ bike, both have same bars n stem. Back wheel touching the front seat and end of bars in the corner of my boot.

Northwind

One of the things that’s changed is that a lot of bikes are getting longer anyway. So whereas 5 years ago packaging 29er wheels was a problem and would often lead to the bike being stretched, these days it’s more practical to just make the bike the length you want it to be, meaning packaging the wheels and suspension is simpler.

Likewise trends on chainstay length- after years of trying to make 29ers as 26ey as possible now manufacturers are more comfortable letting them be the right length.

My 29er’s pretty bloody big, it’s a medium the size of some XLs, and literally inches longer than my old medium. Not because it’s a 29er, but because it’s a beast. And if I was to go back to small wheels now i’d want it to be every bit as big.

(and back to the original question, it’s not just overall length that changes how it fits in the car- wide bars and big wheels mean it’s harder to pack it in too, since even with the wheel turned it’s still bulkier)

bigjim

my XL Smuggler is over 6’5″ from tip to toe, longer than most of the DH bikes on the uplift trailer

nemesis
    Free Member

My first 29er had a slightly shorter wheelbase than the 26″ bike it replaced…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘26 & 29, a question’ is closed to new replies.