Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2017 gardening and veg thread
  • thepurist

Springs taking its time to get going but I’ve already got a row of sugar snaps in, and harvesting last year’s broccoli. Also trying to germinate some perennials, Inula magnifica and Kirengishoma palamata but they’re being stubborn too.

Oh and the dahlias that I lifted in the autumn and which were fine a month ago have turned to mush, should’ve left them in the ground…

Mowgli
    Free Member

Yes! First time having our own garden and we’re getting stuck in. I have dug a veg bed which is 1m x 10m and gets plenty of sun. Just has a few raspberry canes in at one end at the moment – which did really well last year. In the shed we have a load of garlic, parsnips, peas, tomatoes and onions all germinated. Waiting for some courgettes, beetroots and sunflowers to come up. I can suddenly see how people can spend all their time gardening – it’s sadly exciting to see everything progressing, but the more we do, the more we identify that needs doing. I’ve not ridden my mountain bike this year yet, so I’m going to have to ration the gardening.

burko73

Frost this week apparently, gardeners beware….!

garage-dweller

Clearing the big bed down the side of our garden last weekend and will finish this weekend in between looking after mother in law and playing football, rugby, forza 6 and bike fettling with the boys.

That needs mulching and some bedding plants (bee friendly i hope) over next couple of weeks.

Next there’s the area round our fish pond that’s getting covered in some kind of aggregate/stone.

Then we’re on to tarmac breaking and landscaping in front of our workshop/shed. There I want some raised veg beds with complimentary planting i think but not sure exactly what. Can’t wait for the light evenings.

andy4d

Spuds went in on St Patrick’s day, sweetcorn and tomatoes sown indoors and early peas outside, need to get my onion sets in asap. Just lifted the last of last year’s carrots and enjoying loads of purple sprouting broccoli. Rest of my sowing will start in earnest next month.

garage-dweller

Oh and one for the gardening knowledgeable what veg to plant late April/early May in planters that children might actually eat?

matt_outandabout

What about soft fruit? You can buy rooted stock, they would do well in container…

garage-dweller

Ooh good call Matt oab. Thank you.

senorj

Wild Strawberries are popular& do well in our garden.
    Rhubarb has made many pies & covers a really shady spot…
    I get L’il J to wee on it ,mainly to wind the missus up.ha.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2017 gardening and veg thread’ is closed to new replies.