Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 2014 charge cooker 4
  • jimbop1
    Free Member

I can’t find any reviews or even picture on this bike. I think it looks awsome but could someone tell me if all the parts are good on it? http://www.chargebikes.com/bicycle-collection/cooker-4

Also what are the advantages of a steel frame and is it worth £1400 ??

Thanks

jimbop1
    Free Member

GEARS/ 20 gears. FRAME/ Tange Infinity, seamless, double butted cro-mo, tapered headtube. FORK/ RockShox 30 Gold Solo Air, tapered steerer tube, TurnKey lockout, 100mm travel. CRANKSET/ Sram S1400, double ring, 38/24t. DERAILlEURS/ Sram X7 (Front) Sram X9, type 2, Mid cage (Rear). SHIFTERS/ Sram X7 trigger shifter. WHEELS/ Charge Saucer, double wall, tubeless ready rims Sram MTH-506 looseball hubs. TYRES/ Maxxis Ardent 2.25”, folding bead. BRAKES/ Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic disc with 170mm/ 160mm rotors. HANDLEBAR/ Crank Bros. Cobalt 2, 720mm wide, 9° backsweep. STEM/ Shield Lite MTB, 31.8mm. GRIPS/ Charge Griddle lock-on. HEADSET/ FSA Orbit C, sealed bearing. SADDLE/ Charge Scoop. SEAT POST/ Crank Bro Cobolt 2. PAINT/ Triple coat plus double lacquer. PEDAL/ MTB alloy platform. BB/ SRAM GXP. CASSETTE/ Sram PG 1030, 11-36t. CHAIN/ YBN S10CR. SPOKES/ Stainless steel, double butted. SEAT CLAMP/ Single bolt.

This is the spec

Rickos
    Free Member

I doubt the geometry has changed much, so how it rides in this review is probably still relevant.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/tested-charge-cooker-hi-review/

jimbop1
    Free Member

Anyone else?

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

the geometry was well received by MBR a couple of years back and by the looks of it it is still the same.

Kit looks good enough, clutch rear mech and tubeless wheels are cool.
    Saddle seems to have had some great reviews so far,
    Steel is great (if a little heavier) and rides much better than aluminium.

Jim

AlexSimon

£1400 for that!?
    I wouldn’t. Mainly because the fork choice along with Sram put me off.

Are you tied in to a particular shop or something?
    It’s £12xx on wiggle and even that looks overpriced to me.
    Last years is on sale at £6xx

An alternative is the Genesis range – tredz have £125 off today.

A few friends are on the Orange Clockwork, but again comes with average forks.

jimbop1
    Free Member

So you rate the genesis high latitude over the charge? I’m just not too keen on the pale blue colour and think the charge looks good.

Do you know of any other good steel 29ers? Preferably silver or grey in colour.

AlexSimon

I’ve ridden 26″ Genesis and Charge bikes and they were both fine.
    I wouldn’t put either above the other in terms of frame.
    29ers can be different though – some variance still between how companies manage the geometry.

There was this model in a different colour:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genesis-High-Latitude-LT-Mountain-Bike-2014-Hardtail-Race-MTB_67497.htm
    (remember £125 off today)

I was hoping some other people would post more bikes. There’s got to be loads in this price range.
    Kona Honzo was pretty sought after for a while.

I agree that the charge does look nice though.

Cheezpleez

For £1400, I’d be building up a Buzzard or a Solaris with X-Fusion forks, an SLX groupset from Merlin, Superstar/Stans wheels.

That said, there was a Kona Taro for £800ish on ebay the other day. Not steel but did look a bit of a bargain.

Paceman
    Free Member

I have a 2012 Charge Cooker 29 Rigid. It’s a great looking bike and handles most things I throw at it locally (SE woodland loam trails). The geometry is very sorted as others have said and the tange steel tubes give it an excellent ride feel.

I’ve upgraded the brakes and gone 1×9 on mine, but looking at that spec list I’d have thought you’d be just fine on the Cooker 4 at least until parts start to wear out.

Shop around though, I think you should be able to get at least 10% off the RRP with a bit of pushing and or/research.

Charge are a great little UK bike company and not common out on the trails either.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘2014 charge cooker 4’ is closed to new replies.