Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 2013 Rockshox spring internal change
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

A continuation to my last post i guess……..

Think i have opted to go for 2013 RS Revelation SoloAir 140mm 29er’s for the Solaris.

Has anyone got experiance of changing the spring internals to lower them to 120mm?

Wondered if it was do-able by myself.

Cheers,

Alan.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dead easy, you just install the small cotton reel shaped plastic bits that came with the fork in the spring side.

v10
    Free Member

Its unlikely as the kits haven’t arrived with SRAM Tech in the UK yet. Its just refitting the solo air spring so will be pretty simple.

Lowers removal, top cap removal (24mm socket), spring assy removal (you will need some decent circlip pliers for this) and then it will all go back together the way it came apart. Will need a few ml of 15wt fork oil to relube the lowers too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    v10
    Free Member

TINAS the new 2013 solo air forks need a complete air spring assembly to change travel not just the plastic spacer.

Davesport

Success 😀 See my post here Revelation from TF Tuned

I’ve bought the fork direct from TF, modified to 120 mm travel. Did’nt ask what was involved. Very good price for you my friend 😉

D.

smiff
    Free Member

hmm wow that’s quite a downgrade/downside if you can’t adjust travel with just spacers any more 😮

bigjim

Loco Tuning will also fit the spring of your desired travel for a very good price, when they come into the UK and he is back from paternity.

Fitting the old school spacers does shorten the travel… but removes the negative spring from the system! Bit annoying RS have made it more expensive and difficult to experiment with travel, but that’s progress.

smiff
    Free Member

is it progress though? does the 2013 air spring do anything better? good for LoCo, obviously 🙂

bigjim

All I did with dual air was try to make the pressures the same in each chamber, and the -ve leaked within the duration of a ride for me, so it is progress in that sense. If you liked to run different pressures in each chamber, its a step back.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Just ordered mine from Winstanleys – nowt the wife can do about it now! 😉

Paid £520 posted and they only had one pair left.

According to Fishers the travel is adjusted down by fitting a spacer you get supplied with the forks?

Will need to wait and find out, should have them by the end of the week 🙂

Then project Solaris trail bike will be complete – making way for project Ibis Ripley next year 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

‘Old’ rs solo air spring (circa 2004-9) could also be shortened with all travel spacers. What’s changed?

bigjim

If they are 2013 solo air you need to change the entire spring assembly to a shorter one of your choice, iirc £75 for the new unit.

as per http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rockshox-2013-solo-air-travel-reduction-critical-problem

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

bigjim – 18bikes told me what you have posted above, but Fishers say different???

So im really confused 🙁

Wait and see when the forks arrive at the end of the week.

My local Alpine Bikes at Glentress said they could do it and are very knowledgable and trustworthy, so im taking them there.

Cheers.

1981miked
    Free Member

YOU DON’T NEED AN IBIS RIPLEY!!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

😉

Nice tho…………….

1981miked
    Free Member

Hmm if u say so.. Better of with a Nomad. Maybe u should get one of those…

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

YOU DON’T NEED AN IBIS RIPLEY!!

But you did NEED to sell an orange Mk.2 Soul to build another orange Mk.3 Soul…..

🙂

Davesport

The message from TF was that the fork can be modified to 120mm travel. However if I ever want to return them to 140mm it will necessitate buying new bits to replace the part/s that they’ve modified. Not sure about fitting a spacer ! Also according to TF the Dual air model cannot be shortened.

Don’t shoot the messenger 😀

D.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

It was TF that told me to convert to 120mm, they would fit a spacer.

It’s the Dual Position (DP) model, rrp. £750 and only available in black that are fixed at 140mm.

I opted for the Solo Air RCT3’s, same as u.

Will have mine tomorrow, as they got dispatched this morning Parcelforce 24.

We will b bouncing on 120 soon enough my friend.

What bike r urs going on?

Mine r for my Cotic Solaris.

1981miked
    Free Member

Yes I did… To answer your earlier question.

Davesport

Aye, same here, Solaris in LIME GREEN 8) It’s the fork that’s been holding things back. After I decided on Tapered, 120mm, through axle the choices seemed to evaporate. I’ve never owned a set of Revs, but my mate the “Yak” has a set on his 456 & they’ve been bombproof in the face great adversity & nil maintenance.

Canny wait 😀

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

No way! – Mine is lime green too! 🙂

Currently built with eXotic carbon rigids.

Post pics when it’s ready and I will do the same.

Davesport

Alan you have PM 8)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘2013 Rockshox spring internal change’ is closed to new replies.