Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2010 Bomber 44 RC3 Ti – Pissing the oil
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Top of the right stanchion, blood everywhere!

Fork are about 5 rides old, so practically brand new. Anyone any ideas?

Anyone experience of Windwave Warranties on Americansold forks in the UK?

Cheers.

BadlyWiredDog

Blood? 😕

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Anyone experience of Windwave Warranties on Americansold forks in the UK?

Your buy-from-the-States savings are about to be cancelled out.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Anything constructive to add? How about a link to an exploded diagram of the forks?

The manual is pretty piss-poor, 16 pages to tell me how to fit a maxle and what air pressures won’t work, but nothing on how much oil I want in them or what seals might have popped.

Rest assured the savings amounted to more than the cost of a few seals and there appears to be an EU warranty with the forks.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Rest assured the savings amounted to more than the cost of a few seals…

Let’s hope that’s all it is, then.

…there appears to be an EU warranty with the forks.

Windwave say:

Unfortunately we can no longer accept any warranty for Marzocchi forks and shocks bought from the USA. For products bought from the USA you must return the fork or shock to the original retailer. Full warranty details can be found at http://www.marzocchi.com

Marzocchi say:

The warranty conditions in Europe are solely reserved to products bought inside the European Community. When the customer asks for a warranty intervention he will have to show the documentation concerning the purchasing of the product (ticket, invoice, sales receipt) in one of countries of the European Community. If this documentation is lacking, Marzocchi reserves the right to reject the warranty request or rather to apply the USA warranty.

Try Windwave, I suppose, but it seems almost certain that they’ll disappoint you.

The closest I have is the exp. diagram for the 66 RC3. Same bits for the most part, I’d imagine…

It’s worth bearing in mind that Windwave/Marzocchi have virtually nothing in the way of small-parts spares for retail. They’ll say they can “order from Italy” for you and tell you it might be “a few months”.

It might be worth just popping the seals from the lowers and refitting them. If the same thing happens, it’s a set a fresh seals and some oil – £30 all in? – and try again. If new seals blow then it would seem to suggest a greater issue.

Diawl
    Free Member

I had one of a batch of 66s that had the damping cartridge fitted incorrectly and the same thing happened i.e. oil everywhere after a couple of rides. Only problem was I was in Alpe d’Huez at the time and the local bike shop couldn’t give a damn. I got them sorted by TF Tuned when I got back. Couldn’t be bothered with the warranty faff. Still rode the Mega on them too. Made for some interesting handling characteristics and noisy landings!

wwaswas

have a look here;

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=625743&mode=linear

it is the 2010 version, though, I think.

I’m sure Windwave would help, even if they charge you – their MArzochi guy was very helpful to me when wanted to do a travel adust on my 2010 44’s.

[eidt] ah, that’s micro ti, not RC3 sorry.

thejesmonddingo

Oil levels etc are on the Marz site under tuning tips,the Enduro seals site has a guide to stripping a Marz Marathon S,I suspect most of the procedure is the same.
    Ian
    P.S.Google is your friend

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I tried googling, but got nothing for the 44 RC3 Ti, maybe my powers were weak.

Anyway, looks like I’ll be able to make some headway with it. I had a look at them properly at lunch time; they’re leaking oil from the top of the right hand fork leg. Not from the oil seal around the stanchion, but from under the Rebound adjuster. On that side there is an air cartridge and the rebound adjuster. I took the air cap off and exposed a circlip that is holding the adjuster on to the fork. Oil is pumping out from the gap in the circlip.

I haven’t had any air in the air pre-load cartridge as the forks didn’t need it. I tried putting some air in and it appears as if this was slowly leaking from the air cartridge as there was some bubbling of oil out of the circlip, but the evidence wasn’t conclusive. I let the air out of the cartridge again and some oil came out with the air.

So, looks like it is a blown cartridge that is effectively pumping the oil through the fork, though I need a proper look inside to confirm. Next job is to pop that circlip off and have a proper look about…..

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Once you’ve got to the bottom of it, take yourself over to MTBR’s Suspension Forum. Somebody like Nick_M2R will probably be able to tell you what you can and can’t sort out yourself.

wwaswas

I haven’t had any air in the air pre-load cartridge as the forks didn’t need it.

I do wonder if they did need at least a little bit and this is what’s caused the problem?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I did wonder that too.

Maybe i should just apply silicone rubber under the circlip to seal them back up……

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Put them back together withbthe circlip in a different orientation and it was finevriding tonight! Odd.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2010 Bomber 44 RC3 Ti – Pissing the oil’ is closed to new replies.