• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2007 vs 2017 MTB – Do you think much has changed?
  • coursemyhorse
    Free Member

I’m about to get my 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper out the garage and give it a service with the intention of having a few sessions on it in the forest this summer – yes I tragically have very little time for riding! But it got me thinking… it’s now a ten year old bike! But…does it matter?

1: In terms of the actual bikes we buy do you think much has changed or advanced in this time?

2: If you bought say a £1500 bike in 2007 and a £1500 bike today, what differences would they have?

3: Does your money go further today or a decade ago (making adjustments for inflation/brexit etc)?

I don’t want to skew the thread so won’t comment initially.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Pretty similar VFM IMO, but geometry has moved on tons. Tech less so but there’s still progress.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my 2008 meta 55 was a bit of a pig uphill & decent downhill. My 2017 transition smuggler is a faster up & more capable down. Both weigh pretty much the same, both 140 mm pike fork.

Bigger wheels these days. 29ers were just about mainstream by 2007. 650 was still a little way off.

& dropper posts – game changer for tech riding IMO.

My hardtail is 2010 and it still rides brilliant – i could update it to more modern geometry and i’m sure i’d notice an improvement.

you don’t need the best bike just a decent one – 10 years doesn’t make it rubbish.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

10 years ago most things has been pretty much sorted – rear suspension designs worked, disc brakes were standard. Suspension travel was still growing year on year – I’m guessing a stumpy of that vintage will have been about 120mm travel. Today it would probably be 140

Fork and shock design has been up and down (boom boom) – there were some really good forks and shocks 10 years ago and there have been some duffers since.

Geometry has got longer and slacker which definitely works for those of us who are tall and struggled with short top tubes in the past.

Standard fit tyres have got wider – I tried fitting a 2.4 tyre on a 5 year old 150mm fork and found it wouldn’t fit.

Dropper posts make a real difference to riding style but can be retrofitted.

dmorts

The difference between 2007 and 2017? All of the parts on a bike from 2007 bike would likely fit on my GT Backwoods from 1997. Very little on a 2017 bike will fit on a 2007 era frame because of the straight steerer, 26″ wheels and slimmer hub spacing.

29ers were just about mainstream by 2007

I think you’re about two years too early. When Trek rebranded Gary Fisher as “Trek by Gary Fisher” is when I’d place it mainstream. That was around 2010? I had a 2011 Trek 29er that was branded Gary Fisher the year before.

ads678

Main difference for me between 2007 & 2017 is that I used to ride a fair bit in 2007……

jekkyl

The trails previously were dead, now they are now alive.

njee20
    Free Member

29ers were just about mainstream by 2007

I think you’re about two years too early.[/quote]

I’d agree with that, even if mainstream they certainly weren’t ubiquitous. There wasn’t a 29er Spesh in 2007, at least not one other than for novelty porpoises, the S-Works Epic and hardtails were all 26″.

I loved my 2007 Epic, probably my favourite bike. This may be clouded by the fact it coincided with me being the quickest I’ve ever been!

mikertroid
    Free Member

My 2007 SJ FSR Elite was a dog. My 2017 Boardman FS Pro is a hooligan by comparison. Don’t think it’s necessarily due to changing standards, just geometry is so much more user-friendly nowadays.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

I have a 2007 SJ that I still use. It was my regular ride up until last Aug when I got a new bike. I use it was a winter bike now. Went out on it a few weeks back and thought to myself, this really isn’t that bad. I’m still faster than my mates on new bikes as well. Yes, its not as good as my Capra, but it still does the job, and an OK job at that.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah a bit,

2007 I was riding a 150mm travel Spesh Enduro, it was over-kill really, but it was a fun bike to ride, you might get some funny looks but worked well as an ‘does everything bike’.

These days I ride a 160mm Tracer 275. Climbs better, descends better is just a better bike but 10 years of incremental advancements it should, some people still think it’s over-kill, but it’s still fun to ride and does everything.

One of my mates has just started riding, he’s got the same sort of Enduro I used to have, it’s wearing wider bars, shorter stem and slightly longer forks (160 v 150) and it can still run with the pack, it’s nothing like as out paced as might think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2007 vs 2017 MTB – Do you think much has changed?’ is closed to new replies.