Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 2 x 10 – any regrets
  • hh45
    Free Member

I’m about to order a new bike and everyone seems to be selling 2 x 10 but I don’t actually know anyone who rides this day to day.

I’m a pretty good climber but still use Granny No 1 every now and then and I just wonder how often having 28 x 36 makes you have to get off and push. Its quite a bit tougher than 22 x 32 never mind 22 x 34.

Taff
    Free Member

I have 2×10 on my epic having had 3×9 on my old hardtail. I love the hearing and it suits the bike but more importantly suits me.

mauja
    Free Member

No regrets for me but I hardly ever used the granny ring on my triple. My lowest gear is 28 x 34 and I seem to be able to get up most things with that, guess it depends where you live and what you ride.

ask1974
    Free Member

I run 40/28 with an 11/36 cassette on a Five. Initially I missed the granny gear but no more, stronger legs and much easier gearing makes for a much better ride. On climbs that beat me a triple wouldn’t help anyway so I’m more than happy.

BrickMan

Generally if a lower gear is there, you’ll use it.

I now run 2×9 and 22/32 & 11/34 and can climb anything. But then my bro rides 22/36 and 11/25, and frankly he manages just as well, but he gets out of the saddle and minces it. He rides a hard tail, I ride FS, so guess thats down to it a bit*

*if you ever tried to get out of saddle and mince on a 6/7″ FS rig in a stupid low gear you’ll know what I mean, it just doesn’t work lol

neninja
    Free Member

Got XT 38/26 with 11/36 cassette. Gives pretty much all the gears my old 9 speed triple gave me. The 26/36 is almost the same as 22/32 on the triple set up.

I find myself staying on bigger front ring for about 95% of the time. It’s only very steep stuff where I find I need to drop down at the front. I’m an OK climber but not the strongest (I prefer to spin a high cadence to the top) but have found my strength has improved with 2×10 as I force myself to stay in the bigger ring.

poly
    Free Member

I was running 22:32 on my old set up. I now run 27:36 – I don’t notice getting off to push more often. I do however find that I need to make fewer changes on the front than I used to and therefore gear changes are more subtle and energy is conserved better…

slinkybike
    Free Member

I run a 32 11-36 on my weight weenie hardtail and 39/26 11-36 on 29ner and I love it. I have not used shimano’s 2 by 10 set up but with the sram cranks you can shift into the inner ring with quite a bit of torque and I like this. That said I live in a fairly flat part of the world and I am walking up the really long steep stuff if I have too.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

ive just moved to a 26/39 from a triple and have to say I really like it. not had much trouble on the steep climbs aroun my way. Its a 12/36 cassette at the back.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

I run 38 – 26 double with 9 speed 11-32 in the back, I like it.

jimification
    Free Member

22×34 = 16.8 gear inches
    22×32 = 17.9 gear inches
    22×28 = 20.4 gear inches

28×36 = 20.2 gear inches

So it’s about the same as granny 2nd on a standard 26″ triple setup. I reckon that’s fine…well worth the sacrifice IMO. (depends how steep your local climbs are though)

I built a new hardtail with a 2×10 last year. It’s a 29er so with a 26/36 lowest gear, the gears are quite a bit harder than my 26er but you do get used to it. I much prefer the 2×10 – I hate the way a triple feels now.

shortcut

No regrets here.

30 & 40 rings on one, 26 & 38 on the other both with 11 – 36 cassette.

I can almost climb walls!

mattjg
    Free Member

No regrets, it rides great (39/26 and 11-32), I like the close ratios and the ‘set and forget’ mode of the chainrings. I realised on my FS triple all I did with the big ring was put the chain on it to stop it coming off on descents, and I had to do that because the chain was set long enough to go on the big ring.

I have a problem with SRAM chains breaking frequently on my 2×10, going to try Shimano instead. I don’t totally buy that the whole cassette should be used in each ring.

mattjg
    Free Member

with the sram cranks

120mm BCD? Found a source of new chainrings yet? I haven’t.

clubber
    Free Member

Works great for me – I’m on 22/34 and 11/36 on a 29er and it’s perfect – undergeared at the low end really if anything. I’ve never spun out going DH offroad though 34/11 is a bit low if you ride a lot of road on your mtb (why?! 🙂 )

cardo

Only regret is not doing it sooner..

run 2×10 and 2×9 both 22/36 and 11-34.

Only time I run out of gears is the mad dash down the hill to the pub!

jimification
    Free Member

Mattjg: I’m using KMC chains (KMC10SL) havn’t had any breakages or problems with them. They seem to last pretty well too.

thered

I’m running 28/40 front & 11/36 rear after going from 22/32 fr & 11/32 rr, it is slightly harder work in the lowest gear but that’s worked wonders for my climbing.

Maybe try 26/38 fr & 11/36, you won’t regret it.

soobalias
    Free Member

in terms of number of gears, spread, ratio – there are no regrets to be had.

in terms of frame, chainstay, maximum middle ring size…… beware ive come across two frames recently where the max mid ring is 36t. While the 26-38 chainset fitted, the mms clearance to the chainstay made it a no no. Think frames that have ‘british’ mud clearance.

mattjg
    Free Member

Jim, thx will do.

Soob, what frames/chainsets? Chainline on the chainsets is 1/2 the issue here. Cotic warned me Shimano may not fit on my ’11 Soul. Truvativ does fine BUT I CAN’T GET NEW ****ING CHAINRINGS, EVEN FROM WIGGLE WHERE I BOUGHT THE CRANKS FROM. (sorry rant over).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got 1×10 on the Pitch 32/12-36 and can climb up most hills, not always easily but it just about does it, it just stops your riding any slower.

Got 2×10 for the new hardtail (26-38/11-36) mainly becasue bigger gears were a priority over ground clerance this time.

monkeyboyjc

no regrets yet for me – gone from 11/36 – 22/32 on my 29er to 11/34 – 28/42
    but then i’ll prob regret it on the next cwcarn trip – I hate that never ending climb.

deviant
    Free Member

I went 2×10 with a Shimano SLX set-up, it was 22/36….spent most of my time in the granny gear as the 36 tooth ring was too much for me on decent hills….i started to get bored with it honestly, didnt like spinning everywhere in the granny ring….ok for the really tech/steep hills but a ball-ache anywhere else….

….went back to a 3×10 set-up and now have 24/32/42, this works for me now….a 24 tooth granny is light enough for me to get up all the hills i used to need a 22 ring for and the 32 middle is where i now spend mot of the time….the 42 tooth ring is redundant, i can count on one hand the number of times i’ve used it….i’ll probably take it off soon.

It’s about finding the right ratio for you, Shimano’s 22/36 was too much of a jump for me but the Raceface 24/32 i have is perfect.

soobalias
    Free Member

mattjg, yeah a soul and ive also been in contact with mike at dialled about the PAC, same thing, drawings are for a max 36t but the reality depends on the chainset/line that is being used.

mattjg
    Free Member

what’s PAC?

I’ll soon be faced with the reality that my Truvativ is unrideable due to the ‘ring wear, it’s going to have to come off, put in store, and something else will have to go on. I’m liking the look of those RaceFaces with adjustable chainline actually, but they are sharp-intake-of-breath expensive.

OP: apols bit of a hijack here. I’d never go back to a triple. I like the x10 for the close ratios, shifting can be ultra smooth, but haven’t ridden x9. No regrets for what I do (Surrey Hills XC and ST on a hardtail).

kelvin

I’m using a 9spd SLX BASH/36/22 and love it.

Ultimately, if you’re not sure what you want, a triple gives you far more options.

DickBarton

Not doing it sooner!

Saying that, the price of new chainrings is eye watering…that didn’t factor into my thoughts when I bought the new bike!

Scapegoat

I run 38/26 over a 11-36 cassette on my FS, and have a XC bike with 22-32 as the lowest gear……. I’m pretty crap at maths, but I reckon that gives me the same crawler gear on both bikes. I certainly don’t miss the 44-11 top gear on the FS, and only occasionally use it on the XC bike, usually on road descents.

njee20
    Free Member

I used 28/42 (XX) and 30/42 (XTR) both with 11-36 cassettes, now run 36t single ring and prefer that.

XX rings lasted no time at all, but their ratios are better than Shimano IMO.

hh45
    Free Member

Great stuff, thanks everyone. All makes a lot of sense.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

No regrets… They don’t work…
    So said Gary Barlow.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘2 x 10 – any regrets’ is closed to new replies.