Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 2 Weeks in Whistler
  • volatilemike
    Free Member

Hi All

I’ve read through the most of the Whistler threads on here.

I have a few more questions to those that have been.

I’m planning a trip there next year, with probably 3-5 friends (too much of a rush this year) +1 more year to get my mediocre skillset up!

I think my friends would like to spend the 2 weeks in the bike park, is that too much? Myself I wouldn’t mind some of the AM/XC as well.

How much money would I save by just booking accommodation on its own? Instead of something like Bear back biking with optional guiding?

At the moment I have a 150mm Trail bike (Heckler), is this enough for the bike park? It should be noted that I am not a great rider so will be looking for all the help I can get from the bike!

Reason I ask is my friends both have DH Frames/bikes so they would build them up and probably take them. Whereas I dont, nor do I have the money to go and buy one for 2 weeks. Obviously it would also cost a bomb to rent one over there for 2 weeks. But if its going to make life a lot easier and most importantly fun I would have to consider it.

Sorry for the amount of text on this Monday!

Thanks

Mike

gavstorie
    Free Member

Take your own bike and use that most of the time… Hire a bike for a few days when you want to tackle the bigger stuff.

stevied
    Free Member

Alternatively, buy a bigger bike (if you feel the need) then sell it when you get back. If you shop wisely you might even make money 🙂

BearBack
    Free Member

Hey Mike,

Good questions.. hopefully I can help.

Saving money…
    That really depends on your group size. The more people you are, the lower the per person per night cost would be on a rental home. Bear in mind though that you’d be wanting to find a town home with a garage to keep your bikes in. You’re likely in the $300-500/night range before Whistlers 15% accommodation tax. So, lets say $100/night pp in accommodation.
    Then you want to factor in Transfers from Vancouver Intl to Whistler.. at $65 passenger +$25 per bike each way
    Then you’ve got shopping, cooking, washing up etc to factor in. You can be reasonably cost effective here, but after a good day on the park and after a couple of post ride beers..whats the chance you’re going to be set to do the home cooked dinner and are you more likely to drop the cash on dinner in the bar 😉

Over to what we offer as a package with airport transfers, accommodation with secure storage/workshop, half board catering and guiding available on 5 days of the week (this is XC/AM as well as DH) then our most expensive 2 weeks in the peak season runs $1775 per person (incl taxes) or $130 per person per night.

Low season with 3 share room occupancy and we get down as low as $90 per person per night.

Whistler experience with Bear Back Biking

So as far as money saving doing it yourself? We don’t really think it realistically works out that way.

Guiding wise, even a few days of bike park orientation is invaluable if you’re not looking to use our service 5 days a week. Sure you can self navigate the bike park, but we introduce the park in a progressive way to try and mitigate the chances of our guest getting hurt or finding themselves on the wrong/inappropriate trails at that point in their holiday.
    In your case, if you’re worried about skill level but coming with more experienced riders, you’d likely have an improved park experience as opposed to riding trails that are at the level of the majority.

DH bike for the park to get the most out of it!
    Heckler for the XC/AM – perfect.

There have been plenty of STW’ers that have done the self guide accommodation only route in Whistler. I’d be interested to hear real world costs.
    We believe that were are exceptionally good value for money and offer a very effective way to get the best out of a riding holiday in Whistler.

Get in touch if you have any questions.
    We’re already booking 2015 dates.
    Regards
    Jonny

cynic-al
    Free Member

Whether you can ride the big stuff is as much about whether you can ride it as whether your bike can.

I much preferred the xc stuff, though it is hard. If I had 2 weeks I’d probably want a trip somewhere else also, and a few days in Vancouver.

EDIT **** me prices have gone up since I was there! (2007)

wrecker
    Free Member

I miss Nesters.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

There have been plenty of STW’ers that have done the self guide accommodation only route in Whistler. I’d be interested to hear real world costs.

Last time me and the wife spent £1666 on 14 mights (mid August 2013) in a one bed room apartment in Deer Lodge plus took $2000 dollars for transfers, meals, beer, lift passes, etc.

You could easily do it on your own for less (eating out every night, a meal at the Rimrock and $100 rounds don’t help) by having a studio in Creakside and supermarket meals but I’d say there wasn’t much in it if you wanted the same standard of holiday. It depends if you value the convenience of being in the village more than the convenience of somebody sorting everything for you.

I’ve now been twice with Bearback and twice sorting it out ourselves. Next time we’ll be back with Bearback.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think 2 weeks is too long just to be in the park… but I’m the kind of guy who also thinks a week in a ski resort is too long and heads out into the backcountry.

For me I’d plan on doing some rides outside the park.. there are plenty of maps available but local knowledge is also helpful just to ensure you don’t go too hard too early.

Squamish is also worth the trip but tricky if you don’t have own transport (I think).

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Bearback> do you just do transfers too?

BearBack
    Free Member

We’ve plenty of guests that are happy riding the park all day everyday. We’ve also plenty of guests that are happy to pedal everything they can but inevitably take a day on the park to see what its all about and use it to work on descending technique.
    I try and encourage riders to ride as much variety as they can to get the most from the trip.
    This year for our in house guests who want something different, we’re offering a $60 per rider, weekly Squamish trail riding day. Transport and guiding included.

wysiwyg> We do run transfers, but its $450 for a private transfer to max 7 passengers with bikes.
    Not cheap if you’re a small group, but its not cheap to run a transfer either.
    $65 incl bikes to take a seat on an existing package transfer that ties in with existing guests flight needs.
    Drop us an email if you wish.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Owt on Saturday avo?

BearBack
    Free Member

Only one coming in and he’s already been booked on PCL.
    So, negative, unless you need a private.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Nm cheers. Whilst youre on. Don’t know anyone going to Dunbar before Sat? Or indeed coming from.

BearBack
    Free Member

Nope, but its only a couple of blocks from the Cambie City Hall sky train station.
    Depends how you plan to get up to Whistler if a detour that way works.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I have no idea. Been tryng my hardest to find someone going to Dunbar for weeks.

walleater

I literally work across the street from Dunbar but have no plans on going to Whistler, so don’t know if that helps or not! But as BB says, if you are getting the Skytrain from the airport into Vancouver, then you just get off the Skytrain on the way through, pick up what you want, and then just jump back on again.
    If what you are picking up is already paid for, but will be passing by when they are closed, I can probably pick it up for you and you can collect (if it’s not 3am…) from me, or meet somewhere easy. Feel free to post up your email if you think any of this is of any use.

oldfart

I miss Moguls cookies ! 😐

volatilemike
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys!

I think my friends want to do the bike park mostly, so in that sense it would make more sense for them to bring their DH bikes.

Jonny – you are probably right price wise, its probably better to book with you guys even if we didnt do much of the XC stuff or guiding because when you factor in everything, its still a decent price.

The bike is the main thing, at the end of the day I need a bike that will be the most enjoyable for me. I dont want to be under biked for the bike park and then having to end up renting a bike for most days costing a bomb. Perhaps the idea of getting a used 2nd hand DH bike and bringing it over, then selling when I get back is the best idea?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Wall> picking up a boxed bike sat avo. Need to look into this sky train. Was getting the whistler express until I couldn’t get the bike to whistler before.
    Assume sky train take bikes.

walleater

It does but expect it to be busy. There are restrictions during the week during rush hour but I think you are fine any time on the weekend.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules-and-Maps/SkyTrain/SkyTrain-Station-Maps.aspx

You could try posting on the NSMB forum to see if anyone is heading up from Vancouver on Saturday night.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

That is a good shout!

BearBack
    Free Member

You can continue into downtown and get the PCL bus from there.
    It goes from the Burrard st Skytrain station.
    So all in.. only a few blocks of walking.
    And as its the same bus that leaves the airport.. you might even be able to leave your bags with anyone else in your party.
    Or if you’ve an hour or so to kill waiting for you bus, you can check baggage and be out and back from there in less than an hour.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Right so I’m on my tod. So get out of YVR with bags grab skytrain to…. Or taxi to dunbar
    Grab bike and bags then what’s next step? Can’t walk anywhere with a bloody great bike box and roller bag. So taxi to a bus somewhere.

BearBack
    Free Member

Hers my suggestion – if it works with you flight arrival vs PCL departure.

Arrive into International Arrivals where the 2 wooded inuit statues are.
    Turn right and go past Tim Hortons to the end and check your bag with the bag storage company. ($7?)
    Get on skytrain to Broadway City Hall station
    Walk to Dunbar Cycles
    Taxi back to Skytrain OR YVR
    Collect bags
    Board PCL to Whistler

I’d offer to pick up your bike, but I’ve 8 bodies and bikes on my Friday transfer.

Also worth a call to Dunbar also as they have lots of staff riding the park. Maybe they can drop with you in Whistler. It’ll cost you some “bike shop favors” (beer) though 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cheers BB. Bag check not a bad idea. Been asking the Dunbar boys but no ones going. Or they’re not trying he heh.

Flight arrives 2.40. Pcl is 5 so should be time

walleater

Yeah I’d be trying Dunbar too. They’ve also got at least a million staff available on a Saturday so there is a slight chance that maybe one of them could help you for an hour or so if you offer up some extra cash.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m stopping in crackside at one of the guys place. Logistical mare

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘2 Weeks in Whistler’ is closed to new replies.