Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 1×10 or 1×9? Options and opinions…
  • drotos
    Free Member

I’m about to convert my Genesis Fortitude SS to 1×9 or 1×10 setup. I’d like to use Problem Solvers Mech Hanger.

– Is it worth to use 1×9? It’s cheaper and I’ll miss only the 36t cog…
    – Is there any option to avoid chain keepers? (Any other than SRAM XX1… 🙂 )If there isn’t which chain keeper do you recommend for XC/marathon?
    – Which derailleur and why? Shimano Zee? XT? Sram?

Thanks in advance!

jamj1974

I would recommend 1×10. Better gear range so less compromised ratios and have simple option of adding 40T big sprocket too. Narrow wides are best at retaining chain!

jamj1974

Also, what are you doing about cable guides?

tomhoward

Go 1×10, that way you can use a clutch mech which, combined with a n/w c/ring, will give you all the chain retention benefits of XX1

Plus, 10 is 1 betterer than 9.

drotos
    Free Member

jamj1974

Also, what are you doing about cable guides?

I think I’d use full-length cable house…

tomhoward

a clutch mech which, combined with a n/w c/ring

What is your suggestion?

welshfarmer

I ran 1×9 for ages. I used a 12-36 cassette so only missed the 11 tooth of the 10 speed. In Wales this was the better way round I think! I now run 1×10 but use an 11-42 cassette.

tomhoward

What is your suggestion?

tbh the clutches work as well as each other, so it’s down to personal preference on the way they shift. I use SRAM (as im 1×11) but have ridden Shimano and prefer the action of SRAM (slightly more weight to it than Shimano)

So pick a side, then the model that suits your budget really!

Edit, on the C/ring, ive had no issues with the sram x-sync that came with my cranks (not sure about after market availabilty for other mfrs cranks though?) and a raceface N/W. (this includes a 2 weeks dh holiday and I’ve never dropped a chain using either of them)

drotos
    Free Member

tomhoward

So pick a side, then the model that suits your budget really!

I have a complete 2×9 setup with XO gripshifter and XO rear mech with medium cage . Is that possible to use the mech in a 10speed system… ?

tomhoward

Not sure but I have my doubts. I’ll have to defer to others on that on. Though you still wouldn’t have the clutch if you used it.

welshfarmer

No to using 9 speed Sram with a 10 speed system. You can use any front mech with your left hand shifter but the rear mech and right hand shifter are specific for 9 speed and will only work with SRAM stuff too.

iffoverload
    Free Member

But you can use a 10 speed Shimano clutch mech with your 9 speed SRAM shifter, as luck would have it they work 😉

drotos
    Free Member

iffoverload

you can use a 10 speed Shimano clutch mech with your 9 speed SRAM shifter

Okay… but why should i do this? 🙂 I’ve 9spd mech. 😀

iffoverload
    Free Member

OK, thought you were interested in a clutch mech, you mentioned avoiding chain devices in your OP,

your 9 speed cass and shifter would work with it so its a cheap way to get it and if you go decide to go 10 sp later (when your cassette is worn out) you only need a shifter.

jamj1974

I think I got some fairly neat M-Part self adhesive cable guides for full outer runs and they have worked fine for my dropper cable.

drotos
    Free Member

iffoverload

thought you were interested in a clutch mech, you mentioned avoiding chain devices

Oh, I’ve just realised the advantages of ‘clutch mech”… 🙂

Does I need a 10spd Shimano clutch mech to work with 9spd SRAM shifter?

tomhoward

Yes, but Iirc it’s not plug and play, you’ll need to fashion a 6mm spacer for the mech, to deal with the cable pull I think. There’s threads about it on here, and elsewere on the web.

iffoverload
    Free Member

here you go

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=148662

I have tried it with and without, there is not a big difference

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘1×10 or 1×9? Options and opinions…’ is closed to new replies.