Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 1st FS bike
  • hainman
    Free Member

im looking at getting a FS on cycle2work and the site that is used by work only had a couple of FS bikes.
    the 2 are a gt sensor 4.0 or a mongoose salvo elite,im unsure about what to go for,anyones help would be greatly appreciated

t-p26
    Free Member

Why do you want a “fs” bike? Do you feel it will make you a better rider? Do you feel you deserve it?
    If you have some mega technical trails to overcome on the way to work(the purpose of the bike to work scheme) then go ahead.

Or is it to use at weekends and in the summer evenings having driven to work??
    Just wondering 😉

hainman
    Free Member

to be honest my thinking is that im a crohns suffer and everytime after my ride on my HT im quite sore afterwards,do different riding from trail centre to xc and its taking its toll on my joints so i just thought that the FS would be a bit of a smoother ride,if im mistaken then i’ll stick with the HT,

5thElefant
    Free Member

A FS is a lot for comfortable for sure. No idea about the two you’re looking at though.

binners

Get a full suss. Don’t lsten to any of this die-hard HT nonsense. Can’t you get sorted at halfrauds on the cycle to work? The Boardman seems outstanding value and has had some great write ups

z1ppy

Neither are outstanding, both quite low spec (£1000 doens’t buy you what it used to), though the mongoose has the better if pushed but only just. I’d still ‘maybe’ choose the GT over the Mongoose, from a personnal misplaced ‘brand’ loyalty – I’ve just never fancied/liked (a) Mongoose.

It’s worth bearing in mind that the C2W scheme isn’t exactly the ‘deal’ it used to be, and maybe 0% finance from a normal bike shop on a slightly better model (brand) might be better option for more choice & variation.
    I definitely wouldn’t rush to buy one of these, thinking you getting a C2W bargain.

monkeychild
    Free Member

What about 0% credit card over 15 months and get something better??
    Those Canyon Nerve XCs look good and PAuls cycles always have good deals on previous years models.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d say neither. You’d prbably get a similar discount to the CTW on last year’s models from an on-line shop and you’ll have a choice of good bikes.

hainman
    Free Member

Cheers for the input guys,im not looking for one just to be cool,its realy to try and save me from any unnecasery pain when out and about.the knees wrists and neck can be rather painfull after a ride on ht,i realy do like the boardman but halfords aint in the equation which is a bugger.i might see if i can cadge some money and go for an outright buy on last years model and shop around,seen some nice ones but like you all say a grand doesnt get you to high a spec but then again im not pro or very hard rider so might not need something to high end,im currently on a genesis core hardtal.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Craig, the C2W scheme doesn’t seem to be too hot now. In a few months the 2012 bikes will be getting unleashed, so you could maybe pick up a bargain then, if you can hold off.

ljs1977
    Free Member

My 2p’s

When I bought my first “proper” mountain bike last year – Rockhopper on the C2W scheme. By the way I only tried it at one shop and got misguided about the size I needed from the C2W guy (another story). I saved around 40-50% on the price of the bike – Great introduction to MTB

I belive* that the new scheme saves more like 10-20%.

*don’t shoot me if I’m wrong

I have recently bought a £2300 cube stereo from the LBS which let me try it out and buy the right size for £2000 saving circa 13% on a new one!

You decide

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Why do you want a “fs” bike?

Personally I like the look and ride of a HT but the older I get the more the comfort of a FS appeals to me.

hainman
    Free Member

http://www.discovercyclingtowork.com/cart/details/1081/gt-sensor-4.0-gents-product-information
    so this seems to be the lowdown on the deal,depending on the tax rate i either pay £566 or £483 is that not good???

richc
    Free Member

I don’t think that site has been updated with the new guidelines. My SO bought a Giant Rapid for £800 or so, and after all the payments it works out she will have paid around £720 for the privilege.

The C2W scheme was good, however its been turned into a pointless scheme by the govt.

hainman
    Free Member

richc was that over 18mnths before the final buy option or was that in total

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Hainman, if you are looking for a racier feel then go with the GT, if its a more comfortable upright position then go Mongoose.
    Also GT has the same frame as the top 1.0 model and is worthy of upgrades whereas the Mongoose has better spec for the cash but the frame isnt as good.
    Obviously there are other brands out there but i thought it better to advise on the two that you mention.

Hope that helps

hainman
    Free Member

thanks jimalmighty thats good info,im going to make my decision and just order,unfortunatly i dont have up-front cash or funds so one of these will do.for my abilities i dont think i can worry to much about to high a spec,im in it for comfort and fun.

karloff70
    Free Member

Second hand fs frame and swap your bits from the hard tail onto it? Just a thought.

nickjb
    Free Member

£1000 will get you plenty of bike. Boardman and Decathlon have a few good ones, Spesh FSR, plenty of choice. Or as karloff says, second hand. Plenty of bargains out there.

Moonhead
    Free Member

Short travel FS will do you proud. I went from HT to FS after a back injury, really does help. Can go out all day without feeling like I got bummed by a rhino.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

what fork and wheels you got on your Core?
    You upgraded the brakes on it, didn’t you?
    Might be an idea thinking of getting a frame and transplanting bits, right enough.

hainman
    Free Member

davey its tora 120 forks and dp-17 wheels,new-ish slx brakes on CL disks.could be a thought but if i got the new bike the core was getting punted to make some space as i wouldnt be using it.
    how much would a 2nd hand full sus frame cost??

karloff70
    Free Member

That’ll depend. You should get a Superlight or an older Trance 2006-2007 for 300 or so, or likely even less. Maybe not much less this time of year though. But in any case you could spend 6-700(or less), get a second hand fs frame, take the parts from your HT, add a couple of choice bits and have a superb bike……and she be your baby, cause you made her. Fun and value.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘1st FS bike’ is closed to new replies.