Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 170mm or 175mm cranks whats the differance?????????????????????????????????????
  • taka
    Free Member

just about to buy myself some deore hollow tech 11 ones but there's 170mm and 175mm ones whats the difference and which one should i go for?

tom

deft
    Free Member

5mm

dano
    Free Member

its the crank arm length… i always have 175, but some companies have the shorter for small bikes and the bigger for med and large frame sizes… track bikes also have smaller ones to get the clearence!

taka
    Free Member

175mm it is then i think on a 20" inbred?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Damn, I wanted to say "about 5mm".

rolfharris
    Free Member

No rider, except the incredibly sensitive, can notice. Go for whichever you like.

elliptic
    Free Member

170mm if you're short and/or a spinner.
    175mm if you're tall and/or a masher.

One of each if you're SFB.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

There is a website somewhere on the net (might be on the Sheldon Brown site) that has a calculator that works out what size cranks you need all you have to do is put your inside leg measuremnet in in mm I did it and I need 173 mm cranks looked everywhere and no one sells them

RustySpanner

I'm a short spinner – got 175's on my older bike and 170's on my newer bike.

170's more efficient, more comfortable, faster and much, much smoother. Eliminates those 'pedal under the chin' deadspots for the short-legged.

People who say that they can't tell the difference won't be shorties (I'm about 5 foot 6 inches tall) everyone I've spoken to who's made the change will never change back – it's like night and day.

Ms Spanner is about the same height as me but has longer legs – she doesn't like the 170's and prefers the 175's.

rOcKeTdOg

you can get 172.5 though Pantsonfire

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

One of each if you're SFB.

after the kindness of HTTP404 I now have matching length cranks – not that it feels any different :o) According to a sports physio, most men under 6' are better suited by 170mm, particularly if they're long in the torso like me 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

Or read another website 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it's like night and day

not to me 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

"I now have matching length cranks"

OMG! 😯

Like I said – consistently silly..

SFB – you're awesome! 😀

AndyP
    Free Member

No rider, except the incredibly sensitive, can notice. Go for whichever you like.
    nonsense

samuri
    Free Member

I agree. Most riders unless they're entirely devoid of feeling should be able to tell the difference.

scaredypants

I've ridden between 165 and 180.

32-33" legs

can tell the difference between the extremes but it doesn't make a difference

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've got 170mm on my HT and 175mm on my FS, to be honest I can't tell the difference.

russjp
    Free Member

I used to have 182.5mm on my race BMX, I noticed the difference changing to 180mm.

john_l
    Free Member

can tell the difference between the extremes but it doesn't make a difference

of course it does

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘170mm or 175mm cranks whats the differance?????????????????????????????????????’ is closed to new replies.