Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • £1500-£2000 all mountain/trail bike
  • mcmynj
    Free Member

I am in the market for a all mountain/trail bike and i have a fairly loose budget around the £2000 mark dose any one have any suggestions for my first full sus?

lister

I went a bit leftfield and got an Orbea Rallon. For what I paid (£1400) it’s light, pedals well, is a hoot downhill and is a bit different.
    The ones nearer £2k look great.

Mind you a new rear dropout is £30!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t bother, not worth it.

mcmynj
    Free Member

do you mean dont bother with the orbea?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

With both.

I’d go for a good hardtail, probably a 29er.

lister

But he wants a FS bike?

mcmynj
    Free Member

i already own a kona honzo but i dont really like hardtails. i have ridden transition bandit before and it was really nice but well out my price range.

Bucko

Have you had a read of issue 81 yet?

mcmynj
    Free Member

issue 81 of what

benzi
    Free Member

something like this (nice headangle) http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9422145

or you could look at the yt industries, wicked comp, their site seems down now. my friend got the pro with bos forks and everything its very nice but it took months to arrive.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Trek remedy or fuel. Depends what you want it for. Fuel more of an all-rounded trail bike, remedy very similar but more about the DH.

Bucko

Issue 81 of Singletrack, they’ve tested 3 bikes under £2k. Might be worth a read.

EDIT: I love my Lapierre Zesty 314, so in true STW style I should suggest you look at the 214 model for around £1900.

stufive
    Free Member

issue 81 of what
    ……shakes head 😀

stufive
    Free Member

pity you can’t stretch to this 😉
    http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/custombuilder.aspx?id=715959
    Nice

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i’d go straight for a canyon nerve AL+ for that money

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3039#tab-reiter2

can’t beat the spec. i’d try to swap ou the talas tho possibly…

mcmynj
    Free Member

the canyon bikes look good but i have never really heard or read about them dose any onw know what they are like to ride are they heavy hard to pedal ect..

tymbian
    Free Member

White T-129 has just won trail bike of the year in “what mountain bike ” . Best out of 25 others incl. Canyon, Lapierre etc.

Haven’t rode one myself though.

mcmynj
    Free Member

the canyon bikes look good but i have never really heard or read about them dose any onw know what they are like to ride are they heavy hard to pedal ect..

aazlad
    Free Member

Buy frame only and take the parts from your HT? Front travel will need to match though unless you budget for new forks.

mcmynj
    Free Member

im really snobby about forks i like the lapierre spicy but it has domains and i really not to sure about them.

aazlad
    Free Member

Just realised the Honzo is a 29er. Wheel size will need to match too.

jimjam
    Free Member

120mm

or

140mm

or

160mm

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Whyte t129s with 10% off for cash £1800, if you can find any left almost sold out, I love mine 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Second hand, more bike less cash

athgray
    Free Member

I have a Canyon Nerve AM 6 and would recommend it. Had it a year with no problems, really good spec for the money. Only small gripe is the steep head angle. When decending fast it can feel like you are perched over the front.

JNAnthem
    Free Member

Don’t forget a giant anthem 29er. Light to get up hills and the big wheels means appears more suspension than the 100mm travel it has for coming back down again.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

the old Nerve AM has been updated this year. head angle sorted and geo generally brought in line with others of this sort.
    canyons always have great reviews.
    its a standard ‘horst link’ suspension system as used by specialized, lappiere etc. so no worries there, good place to start anyways.
    but read the reviews on their site.
    also lots of reviews of it’s wee brother around, the standard nerve AL
    eg on bike radar.

and yes, agree with mikewsmith, 2nd hand can be good. but you have to be sure of supension’s history. also, many good second hand bieks are not only £300 less than the canyon

spectabilis
    Free Member

Ghost AMR plus or AMR29`s

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘£1500-£2000 all mountain/trail bike’ is closed to new replies.