Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 125cc reliable motorbike for offroad/allrounder use?
  • hora
    Free Member

Any recommendations? Fancy something for pootling around/scratch the itch and some green laning-trying but wont break the bank-expense.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Depending on budget either an Honda XL or XR125. Pretty much bullet proof, low maintenance and cheap enough for parts when you do drop it. Tyre choice will need to right to give you enough grip off road depending on where you take it but safe enough on the road that don’t kill yourself too soon.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Or alternatively for the 2 stroke experience, a Yamaha DT125 if you can find an older one. Piece of piss to work on and good handling.

binners

For gods sake! Will you think of the children. Please don’t buy a motorbike. You’ll be dead before the week is out.

scotroutes

What forks for a 125cc motorbike?

failedengineer

Some of the Chinese bikes are now considered to be worth buying. There are some British-Badged ones around. WK is one brand, I believe. They are 125 Honda copies I suspect.

failedengineer

Some of the Chinese bikes are now considered to be worth buying. There are some British-Badged ones around. WK is one brand, I believe. They are 125 Honda copies I suspect.

kayla1
    Free Member

Yam TW125s are awesome. I had one a few winters ago and it was loads of fun. Simple, air-cooled 2 valve 4T engine, it’d go anywhere pretty much (just not very quickly!) You can pick them up for less than £1000.

2Ts are brilliant but they’re arsehole magnets and attract thieves like nothing else. I had a WR200 (similar to the DT125, ish) stolen a couple of years ago and I won’t have another enduro type bike now because of it.

The good/bad thing with 125s is that there’ll always be a market for them because of the learner law, so whatever you buy (as long as it’s Japanese (or European to a point)) and you maintain it ok won’t ever drop in value. Chinese bikes aren’t worth looking at (yet)- all of them we had to work on were crap.

For “pootling around/scratch the itch and some green laning-trying” I’d recommend a light-ish (sub 120kg) Japanese 4T 125. Hell’s teeth, you could go green laning on a CG125 if you wanted!

A TW125, yesterday-

edit- yes, it is a fat bike…

hora
    Free Member

Years ago a family friend used to take me up Flatpits? in yorkshire and I rode a Suzuki TS80(?) I think – or maybe it was a Suzuki RM- it was one that was more offroad than on. Felt fantastic- are those still around or an update of those?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

When I was in the used bike trade I found 125s a big source of frustration:

Almost daily I’d be asked if I had a cheap one.
    95% of them have been trashed in the first three years by 17 year old owners.
    Whenever I did get a decent one I’d have to put up with a succession of prospective ‘buyers’ expecting me to let them have it for a couple of weeks pocket money.

Pass your test and look for a 250, there’s still plenty of grey import trailies out there (I imported 250 or so of them) that have had considerate, mature owners. You’ll get a better bike that you’ll be far more likely to want to keep.

towzer

see also rieju various/beta alp(mostly 200 also odd 125), ajp various and the ultimate function green laner trailie road is the yam xt225/serow – honestly

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

“XT225 Serow”

Fond memories of three days spent bouncing along dirt tracks on the Greek island of Samos on a hired one with wifey one the back.

mark90
    Free Member

xt225/serow

My first bike after passing my test. Ideal green laner. Very capable but also very forgiving and easy to ride. Flattered my (lack of) ability. Was sorry to see it go, but the quad that replaced it is a hoot.

klumpy
    Free Member

“XT225 Serow”

Seconded, thirdeded, and fourthed. Why do you think you need a 125 particularly? I began dirtbiking on a serow and even rode a couple of hare and hounds on it. It just putt putts along endlessly and goes through and over almost anything.

mattsccm
    Free Member

He wants cheap?
    Dream on unless its shafted.
    Plenty of XT 125’s about as they are about the only Jap bike still being made. Several Derbi Senda 125’s on ebay.
    Chinese. Hmmm my experiences have been mixed. Worked at the local
    CCM dealer and their 125s were bloody awful but my 230 seems fine. Most Chinese bikes are bought cheap, not looked after and sold for bugger all.
    Now I would like a TW to commute on.

vinnyeh

Why a 125?

TBH, if you’re more than 10stone and/or not yet skilled, and you want to use the bike off road (and probably on the road, as well) something like an XL125 will be a constant source of frustration, whenever the going gets a bit toughish you’ll be cursing.- IMHO the bestest beginner off road bike ever is an old XR200, enough power/torque to get you most places, but not so much that you won’t have to learn a bit of finesse.

An RM80 😆

redstripe
    Free Member

How about this:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-200959-honda-xr50-motard-bike-1600-4800-miles-mot-tax

Honda reliability, quick too for a tiddler, open to offers
    cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘125cc reliable motorbike for offroad/allrounder use?’ is closed to new replies.