Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 120/130mm hardtail 29er……options
  • ton

any idea’s for such a bike. please.

Clink

2 Souls QH
    Honzo

etc, etc

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve got an unused XL Honzo sat in the garage that I could be persuaded to part with?

Burly build, hope hoops, xt/XTR but it’s 1×10 and is not designed for a front mech (given your health issues that may not be suitable for you?)

The XL is a 20″ frame with a longer TT than the L. 130mm 20mm thru axle revs

Great fun bike but I barely Mtb these days

NormalMan

Solaris can take a 120 fork.

Amazing bike IMHO.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Transition Transam – frame only so can be custom-built, or the stock bikes are well put-together packages too.

st

I’ve just bought a secondhand Trek Stache after selling my first one last year.

120mm forks as standard, I’ve just fitted some 140mm Revelations which felt good on the first ride.

There are one or two 2014 reduced at some shops and it makes for a good value for money option if you can find one in the right size.

simon_g

Stache here too, still really like it. Stealth dropper routing too!

Bregante

I’d have a Stanton Sherpa

Although MrTalls offering sounds interesting

bigh
    Free Member

About to sell a xl solaris frame, forks and wheels

Candodavid
    Free Member

Ton, buy once, buy right, it’s not cheap, get a 2souls quarterhorse, you won’t regret it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Just put a Pike on a 2souls Quarterhorse and have done with it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ah, see, the fools seldom differ.

jfb01
    Free Member

Still trying to find the weight of a 2souls Quarterhorse frame.
    Any one on this thread weighed theirs?

icarus
    Free Member

Another vote for the Stanton Sherpa here,mine is great!

Rosss
    Free Member

The Sherpa must be very good, I’ve been looking for one since they came out and have not seen a second hand one for sale yet

ton

any thoughts about the possibility of putting a 120mm fork on a karate monkey?

MrTall and bigh, interested in both offers.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Still trying to find the weight of a 2souls Quarterhorse frame.

My full build came in at bang on 30lbs, pictured here:

Roughly speaking, I think in XL flavour, the frame must weigh 6lbs.

bigh
    Free Member

Ton I see your a retrobike fan, long shot but did you ever join a retro ride at the Forest of Dean last year or the year before?
    Anyhow, let me know if you want details and pics emailed.

jfb01
    Free Member

Thanks Alan,I think that will make it a bit too burly a frame for me.Five to five & a quarter would be the heaviest I would go for.

ton

bigh, emailed you.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

jfb01: What about the 2Souls Slim Jim?

QH’s wee bro…..

RRD
    Free Member

Singular Buzzard
    Kona Honza or Taro
    Canfield Nimble 9 or Yelli Screamy

I have a buzzard but for my money steel is too heavy I would like a Canfield but they are too expensive at UK import prices

jfb01
    Free Member

Good thought Alan,however I think if I want a Quarterhorse I may have sell the house & get a Ti one!

welshfarmer

No one mentioned the Kinesis FF29 yet? Run mine with a 120mm fork and is spot on. Frame in large is a few grames shy of 2 kilos. Sub 25lb build is not difficult with mid range gear.

ton

welshfarmer, are they a bit on the small side?
    saw a post on here, a bloke at 6ft 3” selling his because it was too small.

bigh
    Free Member

Solaris was great, must admit I would go for the Yelly screamy though

rockhopperbike

Ton, are you wanting slack or XC geom- I reckon the Honzo and QH are on the slack side, and the solaris on the fence, so to speak, kineanis on the XC side of things. I’m on a orange crush and looking for the same, but for me on the slack side- Honzo – possibly good (if heavy as kona usually are) base frame, poor wheels (hubs) and everything else is consumable anyway.

welshfarmer

Hard to say. I like a long cockpit and find it fits well to my 6 foot with a 70mm stem, 740 bars, and saddle nice and central. I guess you could gain an inch by moving the seat back and using a longer stem & wider bars but I agree that anyone over 6.2 liking a long cockpit might find it wanting.

ton

rockhopperbike – Member
    Ton, are you wanting slack or XC geom

i think the qh and honzo will be a bit too much for me. in my head i think i could use one, in reality i wont need one.

liking the look of the sherpa to be honest, it looks like a big wheeled version of 2 bike i had in the past, a bonty privateer and a 853 rock lobster.
    it looks ideal.

Bregante

Looks capable enough too ton 😉

boxelder

They have Stantons in Cyclewise at Whinlatter and a couple of the chaps up there ride them. Still think the Solaris is bob on for what you describe. XL here if you want a try.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Afterthought, why not go custom?, Get it exactly as you want, go to Bespoked in Bristol, see if anything catches your eye, Curtis can build up as required, up your end of the country you have Field cycles in Sheffield

rewski
    Free Member

Kinesis sync?

boxelder

For what you describe Tony, what’s up with the Karate Monkey?

ton

i bought it because my tourer was in dock. i was gonna have just the one bike for touring and a bit of offroad.
    my tourer got saved by robdob. and i now have the urge to ride proper offroad.
    the surly is very harsh with the short wheelbase, and i wanted a bit more than 80/100mm travel on the fork.

dont fancy trying to ride any big lakes hills on it.

slackman99
    Free Member

I’ve also got a Stache and think it’s a great bike

rockhopperbike

I know the OP has moved onto a FS, but the honzo gets a good review

Honzo over there

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘120/130mm hardtail 29er……options’ is closed to new replies.