Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 11t rear singlespeed cog?
  • jonnych
    Free Member

Any one know of one in existence, is it possible?

BigJohn

Nooooooooooooo! Chain Slip probable due to too few teeth engaged.

poppa
    Free Member

…and faster wear too.

jonnych
    Free Member

so it doesn't exist then?

sheldona
    Free Member

Just use the 11t off of a cassette!

soobalias
    Free Member

you are getting into bmx micro gear territory

jonnych
    Free Member

Just use the 11t off of a cassette!

Pretty sure these have a little hooky bit on the end that means you can only put it at the end of the freehub

cookeaa

Dirt jumpers do it all the time, as low as 9t using BMX type cassette hubs I know profile do a 135mm/Disc version, I'm sure others do one…

cookeaa

here you go Cheap as chips…

as low as 8t

sheldona
    Free Member

Use a 12t then and go up a couple at the front

paul78
    Free Member

Gusset to a 12t from Ison.

Go for profile hubs and use a bmx style driver maybe an option…. do them in ti too 🙂

jonnych
    Free Member

Haha no i already have the hub (pro 2), just fancied a smaller chainring up front

epicyclo

BMX cassette part

Edric64
    Free Member

but cassette teeth are ramped the chain will come off easily

mark_b
    Free Member

I've got one of these 11t cogs unused at home if it's of any use ?

njee20
    Free Member

just fancied a smaller chainring up front

Why? Aside from all the reasons above, I've also read that smaller cogs are also less efficient, you're better to achieve the same gear with larger chainring/sprocket.

miketually
    Free Member

I've also read that smaller cogs are also less efficient, you're better to achieve the same gear with larger chainring/sprocket

I've heard that too. For a given effort, you'll go slower with a 11t sprocket than with a 12, even with the same chainring up front – tighter radius means you have to move the links further round the pins so more friction to overcome.

Were you planning on running a 22 up front or something?!

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I bought a SS conversion kit with 11 and 12T (iirc, could have been 12 and 13T though) from charlie the bike monger

works nicely for a road rat matched with the 32T chainring that was already on there. Stainless steel so sprocket wear is not an issue. added friction due to making the chain bend more I don't know about, doesn't *feel* less efficient than the 32/16 on my SS mtb but there's so much else at play (different frame, road tyres etc etc)

cookeaa

The most compact gearing setup I ever used on any MTB was a 13t Odyssey Cassette sprocket mounted on a planet-X Dog Hub with a 33t Mankind BMX chain ring, this was on a 24” wheeled Dirt jumpy MTB and the gearing was a touch tall (2.53-1: 60.9 Gear inches) for most riding other than trail pootling and of course DJing, it would stretch good quality (KMC) 1/8” chains quite noticeably over a 6 month period…

Have you thought about what chainring you want to use with this? If it’s for some sort of 26” wheeled SS XC beasty then the old ~2:1 ratio rule means you’ll need to run a 22t chain ring, 16/32 is popular for a reason, easy & cheap to source parts and not much heavier than a “Micro-drive” setup (if not lighter in some cases)… best option is to pull a cassette apart and use that to play with ratios to see what you like the feel of, then go find some SS specific Sprockets & Rings….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘11t rear singlespeed cog?’ is closed to new replies.