Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • 11 Speed XT
  • njee20
    Free Member

There’s a surprise!

11-42 cassette sure to please some.

While we’re at it: 1×11 road groups.

Sure Dura Ace is due a renewal this year…

rhayter

Apparently, you can’t use the 11-42 cassette on a 2x setup. Why, exactly?

BillOddie

Shimano have implied that the 42-11 cassette is 1x only (with HG-X11 specific tooth profile), reserving the 40-11 cassette for 2x and 3x applications.

matthew_h
    Free Member

rhayter – you’ve got that the wrong way round, the 11-42 cassette is ONLY for use in 1x setups, not for use with the double or triples.

mcj78
    Free Member

Shimano have implied that the 42-11 cassette is 1x only (with HG-X11 specific tooth profile), reserving the 40-11 cassette for 2x and 3x applications.

I read it as the 42t max cassette was 1x only, unless they’ve edited it?

edit: simultaneous repetition fail!

Looks good though

rhayter

Yeah, you’re right. So I edited my post to not look like such a schmuck.

Didn’t work.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

oooooh interesting! the cassettes all im interested in

so I can get a 11-42 xt cassette for £75 (without any discounts!) it will now be cheaper to swap freehub to shimano freehub and get a cassette over buying a xx1 cassette

(ok so ill lose the 10th, but not arsed about that!)

I guess this will mostly wipe xx1/x01 out of the game again

Rosss
    Free Member

Looks really good that, great pricing too

njee20
    Free Member

Mech sizes I’m guessing as to why it’s 1x only.

Odd they say it won’t work with M9000, and yet M9000 mechs work flawlessly on XX1 cassettes. Presumably an even more expensive M9001 11-42 is on the way to cater for that market.

mcj78
    Free Member

In a few posts no-one will notice & it’ll be buried under arguments about enduro specific groupsets or something 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

Remember that XTR is aimed at racers Nick. Shimano may reason that racers don’t need a 42T and that XT is good enough for us mere mortals wanting bigger cassettes.

njee20
    Free Member

Remember that XTR is aimed at racers Nick. Shimano may reason that racers don’t need a 42T and that XT is good enough for us mere mortals wanting bigger cassettes.

Which I think makes sense – there’s been a lot of hand wringing on here about it previously though! I’m happy using SRAM cassette for the extra range and lower weight. It just seems a little underhand that:

– they didn’t do an M9000 11-42 because the gaps were too big
    – now they’ve decided the gaps aren’t too big it’s not compatible with M9000, despite the fact it really is.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Odd they say it won’t work with M9000, and yet M9000 mechs work flawlessly on XX1 cassettes

It’s probably in the same way that they say an SS cage won’t work with a 36t or more cassette and yet I am running my SS XTR on a 11-40t perfectly.

rhayter

SRAM will have to do something about the pricing on X01 and X1, surely? The RRPs quoted here: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/shimano-deore-xt-m8000-11-speed-first-look-44084/ make both look hideously overpriced.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Maybe it doesn’t work to Shimano’s standards, which are notoriously high, but in reality an XTR mech will be fine.

Looks like the 2nd generation of this will be going on my next bike!

And where’s everyone from the “amazing technology on a Sram Deore cassette” thread not that XT have undercut Sram’s budget option by £30 with a high level product?

BillOddie

It’ll be interesting to see how this prices up vs SRAM GX on the likes of CRC.

Can you run the new XT chain on a “normal” narrow wide chainring? I’d say probably.

So using existing cranks and say a superstar NW ring you can make the leap to 1×11 for about 200 quid.

That’s somewhat of a bargain!*

*comepared to SRAM’s offerings and other new stuff on the market…

Rubber_Buccaneer

A surprise indeed and welcomed by me. Should be very widely available by this time next year when I’m likely to want it.

njee20
    Free Member

SRAM will have to do something about the pricing on X01 and X1, surely?

Why? X0 cost more than XTR previously, let alone XX! X9 has always been between XT and XTR etc. It’s basically the same price as GX.

SRAM pricing has always been odd, people try and correlate to Shimano hierarchies (which are nice and clear), but IMO that doesn’t really stack up!

Rubber_Buccaneer

and SRAM still have that 10t cog. Everyone focuses on the 42 end of the cassette but that 10 is just as significant.

teethgrinder

Not to me.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

and SRAM still have that 10t cog. Everyone focuses on the 42 end of the cassette but that 10 is just as significant.

I wonder if the the new 44T One Up sprocket would fit on in place of the 42 on the XT cassette. Means you should get similar range as a SRAM 10-42 while running a bigger ring up front. Cost wise it would work out cheaper than running the XT kit on a SRAM 10-42 cassette.

njee20
    Free Member

Not to me.

Except it allows you to run a smaller chainring, effectively making the other end even bigger. Shimano would need an 11-46 to get the same range.

I wonder if the the new 44T One Up sprocket would fit on in place of the 42 on the XT cassette

No chance! They’re entirely different construction and the XT will need the offset in order to fit on a conventional freehub body. Still narrower range too.

devash
    Free Member

Very, very excited by this. Glad I didn’t buy that 2 X 10 XT groupset now!

edd

Does it come in silver and black like the M780/785 groupset or just black?

nickc

The extra space needed for that extra gear is taken by riding the cassette up the spokes a little.

what?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I think the XT crank also looks nicer than the new xtr cranks

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

No chance! They’re entirely different construction and the XT will need the offset in order to fit on a conventional freehub body. Still narrower range too.

DOH! Entirely slipped my mind the freehub was different (despite the fact I fitted my new one last night).

In that case, I wonder how long until One Up do a 44 tooth shimano fitting to do exactly as I suggest above?

cultsdave
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    teethgrinder – Member
    Not to me.

the lower end of the cassette is more important. 10% difference between 10 and 11 not much difference between 40 and 42!

njee20
    Free Member

what?

The largest sprocket if offset, if effectively ‘overhangs’ the flange on the rear hub – using the space created by the angle of the spokes. It’s how they’ve done 11 speed cassettes on the old freehub body.

In that case, I wonder how long until One Up do a 44 tooth shimano fitting to do exactly as I suggest above?

Is the 42 a separate sprocket? I know the 40t is on XTR, so seems plausible.

shredder
    Free Member

So could I run the new 11-42 cassette on my 10spd system thus not having to piece together expander / 16t etc.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Who knows, I’d guess it is likely to be based on XTR and previous XT, but they might try and attach it on after seeing what One Up are up to with their 44s 😀

nickc

aaahh, right I get it, thanks njee20.

rottwieler
    Free Member

The Xt is just available in the one colour option, the shifters are 30% ligther action with 20& less movement to get your gear a bit like XTR.

The side swing front mech is awsweome gives real positive shift and more clearance on the gears so less chain rub on extremes.

42 Cassette is only for the 1 ring setup this was due to the chain length i believe being to long and creating too much slap. (no one likes it slapping about)

Rear mech has external adjuster now for the clutch spring.

The side swing mechs are also designed to work with specific chainsets the pickups are in a different place to normal.

Brakes are pretty much unchanged just a slightly different bite point to previous models.

When you ride it is very light weight shift and feels really positive this will definitely be a big groupset for Shimano and will set the bench mark.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Don’t rate the pedals.

a good shot at rescuing xt really, as slx had pretty much made it irrelevant in aftermarket terms (OEM on complete bikes still get’s showroom kudos I s’pose).

be good for the carbon race 29er I’m not allowed to buy. Hmmmmm.

rottwieler
    Free Member

As with xtr the cassette still uses the 10spd body the offset on the last ring sits over the top of the spokes so no need for daft expensive body changes

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Plus…….
    One Up and the likes are going to have to innovate or die so I’d guess they will be looking to make it happen. They’ve built a business on 11-40/42 cassettes that Shimano are going to eat up in a couple of years as this trickles down. 11-40 XTR was a warning sign but with an 11-42 now it’s a real problem for them.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

a good shot at rescuing xt really, as slx had pretty much made it irrelevant in aftermarket terms (OEM on complete bikes still get’s showroom kudos I s’pose).

Rescue and then kill it again in 2017 with 11 speed SLX.

njee20
    Free Member

So could I run the new 11-42 cassette on my 10spd system thus not having to piece together expander / 16t etc.

You need a new chain, rear mech and shifter, but no new freehub body. So… sort of.

akira

All I want is xt cassette and rear mech with xtr shifter. Then I’ll use any old chain and ring same as usual.

njee20
    Free Member

Go on then, that’ll be no problem… 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed XT’ is closed to new replies.