Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 11-46 10 Speed Cassette
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Will we see one from Sunrace or any other aftermarket supplier?

mboy
    Free Member

Doubtful

Nobody makes an off the shelf 10spd mech that works well with a 42T big cog yet. You can get OK shifting across the block with an 11-40, but not an 11-42 without a Rad Cage or Goat link or the like. 11spd mechs have been designed ground up, to work with wider ranges.

Also… Ratio jumps of more than 20% are quite noticable, and annoying in use. Anything of 20% or under seems to be acceptable, but above that and it’s less than ideal. For instance, I’ve been running an E13 9-44 11spd cassette for a while now, and it’s superb, but I do really notice the jump from the 14-17 cogs, a 21.5% jump (the biggest % jump in the block) which is quite annoying. The rest of the jumps (all below 20%) are perfectly fine.

trauty
    Free Member

best thing would be 11sp xt mech with 10sp shifter and 10 casete

fr0sty125
    Free Member

E Thirteen do a 9-42.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Yeah I was thinking it would be unlikely. Shame as the 10 speed bodge when done right works well, wears at a reasonable rate and the consumables for the most part are cheaper.

@ trauty – Defo.

I’m a year in. Got a Sunrace 11-40 when they first came out. Shifting is still perfect and the KMC chain is not showing any signs of wear according to the indicator. Would have been nice to stay 10sp, get slightly more range and go for a bigger front ring next time round.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HOt0ZOcYk[/video]

Who would buy one just out of interest?

kimbers

me

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Two then 😆

core

mboy – I’m running a sunrace 10spd 11-42 cassette with a medium cage slx clutch mech and shifter and it works perfectly, no goat link, rad cage or anything, shifting smooth and consistent all the way up and down the block so far. B screw not pissed about with either.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I don’t know if that’s the norm though. My XT medium cage was ‘fine’ to begin with but it would never stay perfectly in tune and sometimes I would need to hold on to an upshift or double click to get into gear. Rad cage sorted all that and gave back the crisp shifting.

kimbers

I also ran my expanderered up cassette without a rad cage with a long cage deore for a while (as I was too impatient to wait for the rad cage)

And it shifted fine, I fitted the rad to a zee (and GS? inner plate fwiw) and all it meant was I could have the b screw back to normal

Now I’m using the sunrace and it’s all hassle free, ( had the sunrace since Jan, 600km thru a lot of crap too ) and it’s still shifting perfectly

the-muffin-man

46 belongs on the front not the back!

#oldskool

😀

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ the-muffin-man – Nah 46 offers a decent compromise for 1x gearing at 1.4 ratio with typical 32 and 34 fronts.

22t front with 36t rear = 1.2

22t front with 34t rear = 1.3 the most common triple set-up.

mcnultycop

10-42 makes more sense than 11-46, at least for me running a 28 or 30t chainring. Not as weighty, same spread (ish) as long as 30-10 gives you a decent ratio on the flat smooth bits.

kimbers

30-10 gives you a decent ratio on the flat smooth bits.

Not quite enough for my mighty legs, 10-32 is better ime

whitestone
    Free Member

Slightly OT (by 4T as it happens), anyone use the Sunrace 11-42 cassette? I’m looking at it as an option for a project and have seen some people recommend using the Shimano 11spd derailleur rather than the 10spd

kimbers

I use the sunrace 11-42 it’s very good
    Shimano medium 10 speed mech with a rad cage

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘11-46 10 Speed Cassette’ is closed to new replies.