Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 10speed Conversion Problems
  • ceramicmatt

I’m just after a few tips that may help remedy chainring noise. I recently converted my shimano setup to 1×10 -34T Hope chaining mounted to Deore Cranks with 11-36 on the rear and 10spd chain. When I shift up towards the larger 3 sprockets at the back, the chain seems to stretched across at a sharper angle, causing chainrub/jumping on the chainring. Would the Hope alloy chainring thickness be the issue? as i experienced no problem using a steel 34T shimano on a 1×9 setup. Could I use spaces between the crank and chainring to reduce the angle and hopefully reduce the noise? Any thoughts would be really useful.

Cheers

Northwind

Have you put the chainring in the middle position?

ceramicmatt

Yes, its in the middle position, with a Gamut bashguard on the outside.

Thanks.

Northwind

Then I have absolutely no useful suggestions!

acidchunks

How many BB spacers do you have on the drive side?

Taking one off and fitting it to the lhs could improve your chain line.

coatesy
    Free Member

I get this regularly on brand new bikes, sounds like the chain rubbing the mech cage even though it’s clearing. I put it down to the wider chainline used for clearing wider tyres on the more recent kit, not a lot you can do on HT2 type set-ups other than offset the entire chainset by playing with spacers. If you weren’t using a single speed specific chainring before, it may explain why it was less noticable, as it’s teeth are shallower and more chamfered to aid changing gear(sometimes Shimano do actually know better than us) 🙂

mlucas666
    Free Member

I’ve used a Hope chainring on my 1×10 setups (both SRAM and Shimano) without issue. I use an N-Gear Jumpstop and whilst it makes a bit of noise against the Jumpstop plate when on the largest sprocket it’s been fine.

My other bike (1×9) used an FSA ‘DH’ chainring that had slightly thinner teeth compare to the Hope.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘10speed Conversion Problems’ is closed to new replies.