Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • £100 Disc Brake Advice
  • m12nte
    Free Member

I’ve got £100 to spend on a set of disc brakes. I’m building a 100mm travel Mongoose Canaan, and i ride XC and trails.

I’ve seen either:

* Avid Juicy 3 – 160/160
    * Magura Julie HP – 180/160
    * Hayes Stroker Ryde – 160/160

What are peoples thoughts on these, and which would be the best bet?
    If you have any alternatives please feel free to mention them.

Thanks in advance.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Magura, or if you can find any for that money you can’t go wrong with deore 595 or slx. Or old lx or xt 765 for that matter.

Juicys are great when they work but a faff to bleed (you need to buy a kit) and pad changing is also a real, err, ‘experience’… Never tried hayes strokers.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38418

£4 over budget but I’d go for them.

In my experience, you can’t beat Shimano for outright reliability, which is the main thing you’re looking for at that price. Plenty of power and feel, too like.

neninja
    Free Member

Someone on here is selling a set of Formula RX for 130 with rotors

A better brake than all the ones you listed.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i would have deore above anything you listed. I think shimano brakes are ace.

160mm rotors are fine. 180 fronts give a bit more power/ or if you are heavier. of course you can always upgrade that later…

chakaping
    Free Member

I have experience of the Juicy and Stroker from that list.

Juicy have good power and modulation, but can squeal like a stuck pig and are renowned for being awkward.

Hayes (I’ve got the trail model) have been a pleasant surprise after using their rubbish older brakes. The Stroker is powerful, has a decent amount of modulation and works well in all conditions. Not had long enough to report on reliability though.

SLX definitely worth a look too, bit heavy but fantastic performance from mine.

If you are considering secondhand, I’ve got a couple of brakesets to flog: Formula RX and either XT or SLX.

slowrider
    Free Member

juicys feel the best of those but as stated above they need a specific bleed kit. once bled they should be fine for ages though. i never found the pads a massive issue myself.

maguras are great, probably 2nd to the juicys in feel but reliable, easy to work on and good power.

the hayes are a nice feeling lever, easy enough to bleed but really lack ultimate stopping power. fine if you arent going to push the limits too much but ive had them come on 3 bikes now and none of them have inspuired confidence.

m12nte
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for the great responses.
    A friend of mine runs Juicy 3s and his do squeal something cronic when wet or mucky, which lets face it is 80% of the time here. I think i’ll cross them off the list.

The Shimano also look to be a great option for the money aswell and i’d expect them come with Shimano reliability.

I’m also interested in the Maguras.

Ultimately, a reliable and dependable setup with good stopping power.

mintimperial

I have some Juicy 3s. I’ll spare you the tedious details, but long-story-short they are a massive pain in the arse to keep working, and I will be dumping them for something less useless very soon.

woody2000

New Deore at Merlin for about £105 look good

Merlin Link

Stuey01
    Free Member

I’d strike off the Juicy’s if I was you as well. I’ve got Juicy 5’s and the squealing is frankly embarrassing. The pads are a pain to change as well. On the plus side, you brake less and therefore go faster 😉
    I’ve replaced them with Hopes M4s and have no such issues.

In fact, I could sell you a set of juicy 5’s… 160mm front and rear, or I have a 203mm dinner plate for the front if you prefer 😉

m12nte
    Free Member

I think i’ll pass thanks Stuey 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I have Shimano, avid, formula and hope. The shinano’s are the ones I’d buy if I were buying now.

andy7t2
    Free Member

bb7’s great brakes and i hear you can get them off fleabay for around £60

omaknees
    Free Member

Stroker Trails are a lot better than Stroker Rydes.
    They use bigger pads, are more powerful, and the levers have thumbwheel adjustment rather than allen key.

DougD

chakaping,

Would I be able to get some details / pics of the formula rx’s that you have for sale? Sent you an email.

Doug

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘£100 Disc Brake Advice’ is closed to new replies.