Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 10 Speed ? Worth the change ?
  • konasteve
    Free Member

Thinking of changing to 10 speed, what is the general opinion of this set up ?

I have heard that the chain is the weak link ? Any experience out there ?

Should i stay with 9 ?

Cheers

Steve

sam_underhill

Fairly convinced I’m going to give it a go on the new bike (probably 3*10 xtr). Interested on peoples views though.

njee20
    Free Member

The chain is fine, no less durable than 9 speed (for using it for over a year).

It makes double or single rings more accessible, personally I like it for that reason alone. I wouldn’t personally go 3×10, but then I wouldn’t go back to 3×9 either.

sam_underhill

For short laps I’d agree that 2*10 makes a lot of sense, but when you are tired at the end of a long ride, and you need to get up big hill, I need a granny ring and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

pinkyponk
    Free Member

Im running 1 x 10 at the mo. 12 – 36 on the rear, 34t up front with a full chain device. i love it. quiet, secure and all the gears I need.

mtbfix

Like it or not, it is the future. In 3 years time decent quality 9spd kit will start to become harder to get hold of and the big Ss will have got one over us again. I am not sold on the advantage of the dinner plate rear sprocket but a closer set of ratios does appeal. Not enough for me to splash out right now though.

thebunk

2×10 here – love it for it’s simplicity. Haven’t lost any of the climbing gears. I can’t see the point in 3×10, unless the trails you use are insanely fast, surely there are too many duplicate ratios?

chainslapp
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that you can replace a 9 speed cassette with a 10 speed onto the same free-hub?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

11-34 9 speed cassettes have been available for years, 10 speed is 11-36. Not quite the revolution Shimano would like you to believe.

At the moment Shimano are selling 9 and 10 speed cassettes and chains for the same money. Watch that change once enough folks are hooked on 10 speed original equipment.

GEDA
    Free Member

No benefit that I can see other than you can have smaller jumps between the different cogs. The more gears the less difference there is by adding another one in this respect though.

I was also under the impression that gears should not be used across the whole rear spread from one of the front rings. Obvious for the big and little ring but I did read you were only meant to use the middle range of the read for the middle front ring as well (Brian Loppes book before you ask). So maybe 2X10 is not so good but I always use my gears the wrong way so who cares.

It is just another gear so I would not go out of my way to change. If changing your whole drive train anyway way not? Inless you can get 9 speed cheaper.

njee20
    Free Member

With a double the chain line is much better, so you don’t need to shift as much on the front. If you can sacrifice your very bottom and your very top gear on a 9 speed set up then IMO it’s much better.

If you feel the need for a 44/11 and a 22/34 then it’s not for you.

footflaps

Doubles have been available for age eg Middleburn XC Duo must be 15 years old by now? Cannondale used to ship all their XC bikes with their CX-2 chainset eg the Scalpels etc.

avdave2

My first mountain bike only had 5 at the back and 3 at the front and people couldn’t believe you’d ever want 15 gears on a bike!

I’d go to 10 speed if it let me run a single front ring. I’ve been running a Rohloff for the last 4 years or so but I’ve now also got a 3×9 set up as well. I’m going to try just using the 32 ring with the 11-32 cassette for a while.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

10 speed = 9 too many.

Surprised no one else has said that yet.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I don’t buy the ‘closer ratios’ angle for mtbing. For road I find its nice to have that next gear thats pretty close, but when I’m offroad I’m often looking to bail out of gears quicker because of changes in incline etc. so sometimes I quite like the bigger jumps on the block – less clicking to get a lower gear.

njee20
    Free Member

Doubles have been available for age eg Middleburn XC Duo must be 15 years old by now? Cannondale used to ship all their XC bikes with their CX-2 chainset eg the Scalpels etc.

Correct, but the wider cassettes get the more feasible they become as you get a wider spread of gears. A double with a 12-28 7 speed block requires pretty good legs, with an 11-36 less so!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed ? Worth the change ?’ is closed to new replies.