Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 10 speed cassette on 9 speed hub?
  • argee

After picking up a new bike that’s a 10 speed set up, i’m thinking of switching the wheels around, as i like the instant engagement of the other wheelset and they’d suit this bike better.

So the question is, with 10 speed, can i switch them around without much issue, the 9 speed wheelset is a 2007 set of Industry Nine hubs on ZTR355 rims, and the 10 speed a set of DT Swiss/Specialized wheels from a 2011 epic elite. I’ve read some stuff on it, but not specifically against this set up, so is it an easy enough switch around, or do i need shims, or worse, is it a none runner?

singlespeedstu

8,9 and 10 speed all use the same freehub body.

argee

Cheers Stu, reading around it did sound like the spacing and shims were set to fit the same width, but didn’t know if it would cover older wheels, or if there were shims required.

Now all i need to do is remove the cassette, which appears to be welded onto the wheel!

antigee

for the 10speed cassette on a 9 speed hub need a 1mm spacer behind the cassette – think it is part CS 7800 for shimano – you might already have one as part of yr 10speed set up I guess

takisawa2

I’ve run 10spd & 9 on the same hub & I’ve never needed a spacer.

njee20
    Free Member

for the 10speed cassette on a 9 speed hub need a 1mm spacer behind the cassette – think it is part CS 7800 for shimano – you might already have one as part of yr 10speed set up I guess

Only for road, MTB don’t require a spacer. CS7800 is just the Shimano code for a Dura Ace 7800 series cassette, not the spacer, which is part number 1Z8 0700.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Don’t know about those wheels & hubs, but I had issues with my Crank Brothers hub. There’s nothing stated in their specs about 10 speed compatibility, only 9 speed, but turns out you need spacers (which they supply) for 10 speed cassettes. Even then SRAM 10 speed cassettes have a rivet on the spider at the back which clashes with the hub flanges and you need even more spacers, but you then have a problem trying to get the lock ring to engage on the freehub threads.

Worse the soft alloy freehub threads then proceed to crack and fall apart as mine did. Warranty replacement and I now use ali spidered Shimano XT cassette (doesn’t eat the freehub so much) with ali lockring and as minimal amount of spacers as I can use to ensure good engagement of the lock ring (would like to find a good quality alloy deep threaded lockring though).

antigee

njee20 – Member
    Only for road, MTB don’t require a spacer. CS7800 is just the Shimano code for a Dura Ace 7800 series cassette, not the spacer, which is part number 1Z8 0700.

sorry that was part number given on LBS website where I got one last week and I guess must have been a road cassette as def didn’t work without sloppy sloppy but fine with the spacer 😳

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘10 speed cassette on 9 speed hub?’ is closed to new replies.