Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 10 sp mtb shifters on ultegra cassette?
  • FOG

I always fancied putting flat bars on my 10sp ultegra road bike but was put off by the price of shifters. Now you can buy 10sp SLX shifters much cheaper is there any reason why I can’t use them with ultegra mech? I am also assuming the front shifter will work with my triple chain set?

ratherbeintobago

This thread suggests the cable pull is different between pre-6700 Ultegra and the Shimano 10sp MTB groups (rear mech); IIRC there is still an issue with road front mechs & MTB front mechs having different cable pull.

Andy

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m not sure I agree with some of the stuff on that thread re. Shimano cable pulls

I run the SL-R770 10spd flat bar shifters on my roadie. These have the same cable pull as std road STI and I’ve run them with 6600, 6700, 7800 and even MTB mechs perfectly, which suggests that they all have the same cable pull.

AFAIK the latest 10spd MTB kit is different though, so if you run the SL-R770 shifters (or any 10spd Shimano road STI for that matter) then you can’t use a 10spd MTB cassette (or at least it’s not ideal…). You need a road 10spd cassette (Shimano or SRAM).

In short, if you want to run flat bar shifters on 10spd then either

– buy the SL-R770 shifters and keep everything else 10spd road kit, or
    – but some 10spd SLX shifters, cassette and mech

tinribz
    Free Member

Fairly sure the front mech won’t work either. Even the flat bar road shifters specify which (two) front mechs they will work with.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘10 sp mtb shifters on ultegra cassette?’ is closed to new replies.