Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • 10 biggest fitness myths….
  • crikey
    Free Member

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/Health-Fitness-Report-2012.html

Myth #1: Stretching prevents injuries and improves performance.
    Myth #2: Running barefoot is better for the body.
    Myth #3: You need to focus on your core to become a better athlete.
    Myth #4: Guzzling water and electrolytes before a race prevents cramps.
    Myth #5: Popping ibuprofen before a hard workout prevents sore muscles afterward.
    Myth #6: Dehydration hurts race performance.
    Myth #7: Ice baths speed recovery.
    Myth #8: Long and slow is the best way to burn calories.
    Myth #9: Fructose is a performance killer.
    Myth #10: Supplements take performance to the next level.

I’m sure STW could argue about some of these….

njee20
    Free Member

Number 6 infers that dehydration aids performance? I’d like to see the evidence around that.

crikey
    Free Member

No, it suggests that dehydration doesn’t harm performance, which is subtley different.

If you go and investigate the subject, try to discount all the ‘research’ done by drinks companies…

meehaja
    Free Member

hmm. Some questionable wording for striking titles?

convert

Dehydration hurts race performance.

it suggests that dehydration doesn’t harm performance

All things are relative which makes sweeping statements like this total bollox. It might be you could prove that super mild dehydration does not harm performance but I’d be pretty sure that not drinking for 3 days and being on my death bed is not going to make getting within an hour of my 25 mile TT pb very achievable! The tricky bit is knowing what super mild feels like and I’d imagine most of us would struggle to judge it.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

crikey
    Free Member

All things are relative which makes sweeping statements like this total bollox. It might be you could prove that super mild dehydration does not harm performance but I’d be pretty sure that not drinking for 3 days and being on my death bed is not going to make getting within an hour of my 25 mile TT pb very achievable! The tricky bit is knowing what super mild feels like and I’d imagine most of us would struggle to judge it.

Read the link.

kudos100
    Free Member

2,3,7 and 10 are pretty far fetched.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jesus.

Saturday night…and even I am out with better things to do than argue about this shit.

crikey
    Free Member

Jesus.

Saturday night…and even I am out with better things to do than argue about this shit.

And yet you seem unable to avoid commenting… My work here is done.

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Cats stretch. That’s all the evidence I need.

teacake
    Free Member

Ben Goldacre to the forum please. These are “Mail-esque” articles based on studies using only a handful of people. The one about stretching gave no guide on how the athletes were asked to stretch – quite likely they overdid it on cold muscles and pulled something.

I agree with ooOOoo – cat’s know what they’re on about.

martymac

hamsters stretch too, and ive never heard a hamster complaining about cramp.
    well, not yet anyway.

tallie
    Free Member

teacake – completely agree. A combination of poorly worded headlines, misrepresentation of study results and accepted wisdom (rugby warm up stretches moved from static to dynamic about 10 years ago) dressed up as new revelations.

My thoughts on reading the link were the great Ben Goldacre catch all quote “I think you’ll find it’s a bit more complicated than that…”

RealMan
    Free Member

Myth #1: Stretching prevents injuries and improves performance.

This is true (this isn’t an argument, it’s a fact), it’s not a myth.

The study that they mention was stupid, everyone knows static stretching is for after exercise, not before.

As for the injury part, how do you expect stretching to prevent knee pain? Your knee is a joint, not a muscle. Stretching is about muscles. And it does increase flexibility, which is a good thing in lots of ways.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you should read the hydration one – it did not measure hydration just weight loss and concludes that the fastest loose most weight.
    It does not even suggest that if you drink less you will be faster nor does it use a control to see how fast these fats people were if they drunk more..in essence it is bobbins

RealMan
    Free Member

TBF I’ve heard that dehydration doesn’t actually effect performance as badly as most people think, although it depends on where you draw the line between being hydrated and being dehydrated I guess.

Drink little and often kids.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think a little bit for a one off three hour event will make little difference like say being a little hungry but to do it everyday you will pay a price. i suspect if you get people to do 8 hours and not drink you may notice a dip in performance related to this

It notes how you can have life threatening levels of water hydration as if dehydration is not also a killer and no doubt kills more per year possibly even per week] that drinking too much ever has.

djglover
    Free Member

what a load of horseshit

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shock news the internet is full of crap, almost amazed you didn’t need to pay to follow the link

DrP

As for the injury part, how do you expect stretching to prevent knee pain? Your knee is a joint, not a muscle. Stretching is about muscles. And it does increase flexibility, which is a good thing in lots of ways.

Not related to the op/article, but in reality our joints are more than simple “hinges”. The knee is the largest articulating surface in the body, and doesn’t only flex, but rotates at extremes of extension (when your leg is straight, the knee rotates slightly).
    Ergo, any imbalance or damage to muscles and ligaments can affect joint performance/pain. Now I’m not saying stretching does or doesn’t work, but be aware of the necessity for “good working muscles” when it comes to joint pains, especially knees.

DrP

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

#10 seemed to work for Lance

chiefgrooveguru

The myth about muscle turning to fat when you stop exercising is a particularly prime piece of anatomical idiocy which missed the cut here…

Do any pro athletes/coaches believe stretching doesn’t help?!!

aracer
    Free Member

Results from endurance events seem to bear that out: during the 2009 Mont-Saint-Michel Marathon in France, researchers measured the weight loss of 643 competitors and compared it with their finish times. The runners who lost the most water weight were also the fastest. Most of those who finished in less than three hours lost at least 3 percent of their body weight to sweat.

Well that’s conclusive then. Improve your running time by sweating more. Does anybody know how to train to lose more weight by sweating?

aracer
    Free Member

Myth #11: You can believe everything you read on Outside Online

(look I even did a clever linky thingy just like them)

joemarshall
    Free Member

as I understand it. what the excess hydration people are arguing against is the idea that you should drink before you are thirsty – they argue that the bo.y is very good at telling you when it needs water, and that you should just follow its signals. They’ve done studies showing that drinking before you’re thirsty actually decreases athletic performance compared to either drinking when you feel thirsty, or even compared to not drinking at allfor some lengths of races.

It’s obvious that many people hydrate massively more than they need to by the huge difference between the amounts of water you see people drinking on mountainbike rides – people who ride for three hours and want a three litre camelbak, and you compare it with a three hour road ride, where most people might ge some way through a 750ml bottle (and probably at a much higher intensity than your average mountain bike ride).

or look at runners – many club runners I’ve met just don’t carry water for normal hour to hour and a half runs. It certainly doesn’t seem like it slows them down.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

It’s not an exceedingly fine line between falling down halfway up the ventoux with “the bonk” or traipsing around a trail centre swigging from 3kg of water and stopping for a wee every 20 minutes…

I like lots of water on a ride – it keeps me cool. However I’m not chasing maximum performance, nor am I willing to suffer for it.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It’s amazing that the human race managed to survive so long before we had sports scientists telling us how much to drink.

IanMunro
    Free Member

No, it suggests that dehydration doesn’t harm performance, which is subtley different.

If you go and investigate the subject, try to discount all the ‘research’ done by drinks companies…

By coincidence my copy of Waterlogged turned up this weekend 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s amazing that the human race managed to survive so long before we had sports scientists telling us how much to drink.

There appear to be some odd psychology at play too – at least for me.
    If I go for say a 2 hour bike ride, I’ll take water with me because I feel thirsty, but with the odd exception I wouldn’t bother for a 2 hour run. What I don’t know is if that thirst with cycling is genuine or sort of Pavlovian response – get bike – get camelback.

aracer
    Free Member

Not at all – nobody (sensible) is suggesting that you die if you get a bit dehydrated. Presumably there is an evolutionary advantage to keeping hydrated as otherwise we’d not have evolved to have such a powerful thirst response.

compare it with a three hour road ride, where most people might ge some way through a 750ml bottle

Really? I’d expect to easily get through 2 750ml bottles in a 3 hour ride and still be dehydrated and feel thirsty afterwards.

or look at runners – many club runners I’ve met just don’t carry water for normal hour to hour and a half runs. It certainly doesn’t seem like it slows them down.

In the same way I wouldn’t necessarily carry a bottle on an hour’s ride (and have certainly given up doing so on 25 mile TTs), and unless it’s very hot I won’t take a drink with me for an hour’s session in the kayak. Though it is a bit more hassle carrying water on a run, which is more the reason behind that than because they don’t feel the need for a drink.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bit of a stupid thing to say. We’re talking about optimal athletic performance, not survival. I’d have thought that was startlingly obvious.

crikey
    Free Member

Bit of a stupid thing to say. We’re talking about optimal athletic performance, not survival. I’d have thought that was startlingly obvious

I’d go and look at the science behind hydration, and see why the latest recommendations are to drink to thirst rather than a prescriptive drink x mls in x minutes.

Sports drinks companies have muddied the water for quite a few years now…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

We’re talking about optimal athletic performance, not survival

I’m sure the two have been linked many times over the millenia.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m sure the two have been linked many times over the millenia.

Really?

I’d go and look at the science behind hydration, and see why the latest recommendations are to drink to thirst rather than a prescriptive drink x mls in x minutes.

Is the research about survival or atheltic performance?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

My great-great-great……great grandad (Steve) had to run all day to catch an antelope once. Saved the family. Nice one.

crikey
    Free Member

Athletic performance. Go look at the science of sport website, grumpy pants. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘10 biggest fitness myths….’ is closed to new replies.