Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1 x 10 setup. SLX or X9 ??
  • snowjunkie
    Free Member

I am going with a 1 x 10 setup and SLX get great reviews but I fancy riding SRAM for a change as I have always ridden Shimano. Any comments on SLX v X9 welcome. (The X9 setup is going to cost £60 more is it worth the extra money) Cheers

mattjg
    Free Member

When climbing I often rest hands on the brakes and shift up over the top of the bars, can’t do that on SRAM.

That aside, I’ve run both, and see no particular benefit in either. Certainly nothing in SRAM that makes it worth the extra.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m a big Sram fan. I changed to them yonks ago because the 1:1 actuation dealt with the muck better and I preferred the thumb only shifting. I also like the clunky, positive feel of the shift.

However, I understand that the newer Shimano stuff has the same benefits and has caught up again / overtaken Sram and is very popular again. It also seems better value than Sram, which these days seems very expensive for what it is. I still run it, but my mech and shifter were bought in the sales!

With regards to Shimano, I’d seriously look at the new Deore stuff. My brakes are incredible for the money, they genuinely are…if everything else works that well it’s got to be hard to justify the more expensive stuff.

snowjunkie
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. May take a punt on SRAM just to see. Will defo take a look at Deore Brakes though as that is another item on my bike build list!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tried the SLX on the missus bike (brand new) and it was crap clunky and not very nice really. She is now running X9 with XO shifters and the difference in night and day. The X9’s I have tried feel similar but not quite as crisp.

The SLX shifters and clutch mech is in a box as I can’t bring myself to move from my SRAM 9 speed setup to use it.

kimbers

ime sram stuff feels nicer but shimano lasts longer, especially if youre rough on kit ive just gone slx 10 speed from s9 and soon got used to it being a bit clunkier, worth it for reliability,

chiefgrooveguru

I had X9 9 speed which was great. Then ‘upgraded’ to X9 10 speed and was deeply unimpressed. Recently changed to Saint shifter and Zee mech, which shifts way better.

mindmap3
    Free Member

My original X9 mech from 2005 is still just about useable. It’s a bit wobbly but still works ok after being on numerous DH bikes and bashed into lots of rocks in the peaks as well as being on various trail bikes. I’ll probably replace it this year.

The 10speed stuff in the SX seems pretty good. I’ve had it for a year and it still shifts well but is probably due new cables.

I can’t really comment about the newer Shimano stuff other than the brakes. The Deore ones being amazing for the money…ok the finish isn’t quite as good as the XT’s on my other bike but they work well. For forty quid an end…amazing. I never thought we’d get to a point where good hydraulic discs were so cheap.

CheesybeanZ

Hi Mark , the bandit i’m riding has 1 x 9 X9 set up and i’ve used SLX /XT
    IMHO the X9 is better , just seems crisper to use .

kimbers

also is x9 not equivelant to xt rather than slx?

themoodster
    Free Member

I’ve just finished an SLX 1×10 set-up. I used the M660-10 shifter and it’s coming off to swap for an XT shifter. It set-up fine and shifts perfectly, but I don’t like the shape and feel of the levers compared to my other XT shifters, it’s a personal thing. I’m not a fan of SRAM shifters for the same reason.

My final set will be: SLX M660 Cranks with Hope 34T ring and chain device, SLX HG-81 11-36 cassette, SLX M675 Shadow+ mech, XT M770-10 shifter, SRAM 1071 chain (with a nine speed power link).

Do you want to buy an SLX shifter? 🙂

danielgroves
    Free Member

I have a 1×10 setup with an XT clutch mech, XT shifter, XT spider cassette, Deore cranks and a e*13 guide ring up front.

The shift feel is very positive over the older XT stuff. I had the XT shadow 9-speed stuff before this and the new stuff feels by far better. When I hit the shifter it feels very positive and you can feel it shift quickly. I’ve not ridden anything but the SRAM x-4 stuff so I can’t really compare, bit what I would say is I can’t fault the new Shimano stuff. It feels amazing and I’ve never dropped a chain since I got a clutch-mech whereas before I was dropping it a couple of times a ride.

Northwind

I’m a SRAM fan but I’d go Shimano for 10-speed. Reason being, Shimano ripped off all the best features of SRAM’s shifting for the new kit, so you get the best of both worlds, SRAM feel and Shimano build. Almost exactly the same cable pull, similiar positive shifting feel… My Saint feels more like my 9-speed X9 than 10-speed X9 does!

snowjunkie
    Free Member

Thanks for the input everyone. still not sure but think I am veering towards SRAM just to give it ago. I went for the SLX as opposed to XT comparison as I have read that SLX was so good it wasnt worth going with XT.

Think I may pop into some bike stores to check out the shifters and see what I prefer.

I was considering going SLX but with an XT or even XTR (in the sale) shifter instead.

Got SLX cranks and plan on running a middleburn Mono 34T with an e-thirteen XCX top guide.

Decisions Decisions!!!

adevaynes
    Free Member

If running a singe ring I would go for shimano zee
    mech @£46 and shifter £18 from rose bikes plus £6 for postage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 setup. SLX or X9 ??’ is closed to new replies.