• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 1 week passport renewal – how reliable?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I’ve trips booked at least every 3 weeks until my passport runs out. I could squeeze in the 1 week turn around option but if it came late I’ll be stressing a bit… how reliable is the 1 week service? Should I just stump up the extra 25 quid and get the 1 day one?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve always jsut done the latter, ie pay for the 1 day if its needed soon

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If in doubt, do the same day option. I did that on my recent renewal, as I had a hectic travel schedule and needed the visas in the existing one. Service in Victoria was very good indeed.

Sadly, I’m now going through the process of re-applying for my Chinese visa. Painful!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Business or pleasure?

If the former you could possibly convince them to give you a second passport especially since your old one is due to expire anyway.

http://pointstobemade.boardingarea.com/2014/03/25/getting-a-second-uk-passport/

FWIW we got our daughter her first passport last month and got it back about a week or so later.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

cheers all. it’s work, but don’t think i’ve much need for a 2nd TBH. looks like i’ll go 1 day in that case – decent riding near newport anyway!

ta

nickjb
    Free Member

Go to the office and get it done. They lost mine when I posted it and it took ages. If you go to Newport you go to the office then have to go away for a few hours while they make it. It’s enough time to get a lap or 2 in at cwmcarn. If it’s for work then it’s their money and time surely

fourbanger
    Free Member

If you go for one day, any damage and you won’t get it back that day. They’re pretty strict on that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Damage ?

Mines had been through the wash and they replaced it no bother on one day ! At Glasgow fwiw.

riddoch

I just went through the standard route 2 weeks ago and from dropping off the forms on the Tuesday at the post office it took till the following Thursday for the passports to arrive. My daughters birth certificate still hasn’t come back yet come to think of it.
    If you go for the on the day route make sure it’s printed correctly, my mate had to go back a second time when he relieased they got his name completely wrong.

fourbanger
    Free Member

trail rat, they specifically mention water damage. Mine went through the wash and they refused to replace it on the day. It came within the week though, but don’t expect it on the day if it has water damage.

trail_rat
    Free Member

maybe its different if you have A a second passport you can use to prove who you are and B a letter of urgency from a multinational.

I flew on mine for 3 years with a mangled photo page (due to a very expensive and very hard to get multi entry visa which was undamaged within).

things are not as strict as they make out – infact the only time i was challenged was in amsterdam – which was right before i got a new one.

but as you say dont expect it.

br
    Free Member

cheers all. it’s work

then just pay for the one day service and expense the cost

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘1 week passport renewal – how reliable?’ is closed to new replies.