Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Winter bib tights and long sleeve jerseys
  • escrs
    Free Member

Any recommendations for some winter bib tights and jerseys?

The bib tights must be rated down to -5 degrees or 0 degrees at the very most, windproof and water repellent/resistance

The jersey must be long sleeve, rated down to 5 degrees, windproof and water repellent/resistance

This is for my daily commute, currently using Sportful bib tights and long sleeve jersey and getting fed up of windchill and wet legs from spray etc.. ( yes im using full length mudguards)

i have had to resort to wearing waterproof trousers and jacket which is restrictive

So far i cant see anything that is better than Castelli Perfetto rain or shine jersey and Castelli Polare 2 bib tights or Castelli Soprasso rain or shine bib tights

ransos
    Free Member

I recommend the Sorpasso tights: very comfortable and warm, but go one size up in the usual Italian way. Mine are just starting to wear out but there about four years old. I wish I’d bought two pairs when they were on sale.

The newer ROS ones have some water repellancy.

thepurist

Galibier Mistral do the job for me

https://galibier.cc/product/mistral2bibs/

escrs
    Free Member

Galibier Mistral do the job for me

What is the sizing like? im XL in Castelli/Sportful, large in non Italian gear

benman
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of the ones you’ve mentioned… to summarise

Castelli Sorpasso Windstopper ones (not the regular Sorpasso). These have windproof panels over the thighs, with reduce the overall stretchiness of the garment. Nice and warm though

Sportful Fiandre Norain – instead of having 100% windproof panels, they have a double layer of wind-resistant fabric over the thighs and seat. So they remain more stretchy than the Sorpasso

Castelli Perfetto ROS jersey – Just get one. I own about 4 in various colours and sleeve lengths. Its what I wear for at least 6 months of the year.

stretch…
    Free Member

Galbier Mistral for me too, I’ve got a couple of pairs of these and have ridden in temperatures down to -5 in them, usually put a pair of baggies over them when I heading out for more than an hour if it’s proper cold.

Sandwich

Stolen Goat Climb and Conquer gear, they do some standard colours along with the more outré stuff.

thepurist

What is the sizing like? im XL in Castelli/Sportful, large in non Italian gear

I’ve found them to be in line with the measurements they give on the size charts, but they’ll respond quickly to email queries if you want specific details.

Stolen Goat would be another good shout – i’ve not got any of their C&C range but the Orkaan stuff is great for spring & autumn and comes in way funkier colours than Castelli if that’s a thing. (also see Bioracer who supply the Stolen Goat fabrics)

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies

Very interested in the Galbier Minstral 2 bib tights and the Galbier Minstral Pro2 jacket

Looks like they are just as good at windproof and water repellancy as Castelli but without the Castelli price tag

As much as i love my Castelli kit this is for commuting so spending over £300 on Castelli when it looks like the Galbier kit will do the same for £150 seems a no brainer

Will look at their sizing a bit more and go from there

molgrips
    Free Member

The bib tights must be rated down to -5 degrees or 0 degrees at the very most

I don’t think they ‘rate’ them like this as it’s heavily dependent on the riding you’re doing and who’s wearing them.

My favourite cold weather legwear is now Showers Pass Skyline trousers. Better than tights in the wet (either rain or mud) because they have slightly loose angles (they are snug overall so no bagginess issues) they go over the cuffs of my winter boots so the combo is pretty impervious to wetness. I’ve never had such warm dry feet and legs. They also have velcro-on braces which are very comfortable. Only downside is that the bum isn’t huge – on my large arse they do slip down a bit, but it’s only slight and it’s manageable. And my arse is larger than most.

Also 20% off with a STW sub which costs less than it saves.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve been buying Specialized Bib Tights for a few years now and they’re surprisingly good for not much money (~£80). Comfy, warm and hard wearing. They do (mebbies did) a version with big reflectives down the sides which might help prevent splatteration…

These…

crashrash

Morvelo stormshield are good as an alternate – problem with them is stock.

Daffy

Rapha’s core range is good value for the way it wears and washes.

I’m still using Rapha Classic gear from 2013 despite it being used every week, rain or shine for commuting and riding upto 200km a week.

StuF

Was about to recommend Stolen Goat CC jacket – never been cold in it, it’s got a large reflective panel on the back. I’d expect the tights to be the same

ransos
    Free Member

As much as i love my Castelli kit this is for commuting so spending over £300 on Castelli when it looks like the Galbier kit will do the same for £150 seems a no brainer

Will look at their sizing a bit more and go from there

I’d be interested in your feedback: they seem to offer really good value and I fancy trying their Gabba knock-off.

spw3

I have both the Galibier tights and jacket. They are ok but struggle below 5 degrees. I’m certainly going to buy Stolen Goat stuff next Autumn.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

+ for Galibier.I have had a few things from them recently and I am well pleased. And also good people to deal with. The sizing is ‘italian’

escrs
    Free Member

So Ive taken the plunge and put my order in at Galibier

The order consists of the following

Galibier Minstral 2 membrane bib tights
    Minstral Pro2 jacket
    Thermo skull cap
    Minstral rain cap
    Ardennes noir sock x2

Comes to £209 including tracked delivery

Ordered everything in size large as according to their size guide their large is the same as Sportful’s XL

If the sizing is wrong then they are happy to exchange for the right size and looking at their website they process returns and send new items out within one hour of receiving the return!

thepurist

They are ok but struggle below 5 degrees.

Shows how hard it is to rate things for temperature – I don’t put mine on until its under 5 degrees otherwise I cook.

If my experience is anything to go by there will be more than that delivered 🙂

brads
    Free Member

Endura Pro SL.

Very warm and water repellent.
    I’ll add that some Endura pads are a pain in the hoop for me but others seem ok.

mcnultycop

Galibier Mistral tights for me, great price and do the job. Mine get worn all autumn and winter. Crashed them at Christmas and they’ve done a repair for me (but I’d already bought another pair anyway).

mcnultycop

Also I would get a Galibier Mistral jacket but I got a DHB Blok jersey that does what you want. It’s maybe 2 years old and still works, sheds water for a while, and even if it gets soaked I tend to stay warm.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@escrs I see you’ve already ordered kit but the Bioracer tempest protect tights https://shop-bioracer.co.uk/product/bibtight-tempest-protect/ are the best I’ve used for winter. Bioracer make kit for stolen goat. They are thicker and more water resistant than both the Morvelo storm shield and Rapha cargo winter tights.
    They kept me warm on this 6 hour ride during the last beast from the east.
    Bothy trip

boxelder

So Ive taken the plunge and put my order in at Galibier

Well done. Spring guaranteed from a couple of days after your kit arrives.

ross980
    Free Member

Very much budget end and limited sizes left. But these were good in recent subzero weather. Feel budget though so maybe more of a back up as I’m not sure you’ll get years of daily use out of them – but for the price they’re great.
    Windblocker thermal bib tights

boxelder

Too late for the OP, but Endura Pro SL are really weatherproof and well designed.

smogmonster

Endura Pro Sl tights with DHB winter softshell here…add a Gore Windstopper gilet on top if its really cold.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the extra replies but as stated above Ive put an order in a Galibier

Good to have them for future reference though

imnotverygood

For future reference: Nobody mentioned Pearl Izumi Amphibs: If it’s warmth you want they are streets ahead of most biblongs but they really are for when it is really cold. They also have an ankle cuff which keeps the water out of the top of your overshoes/boots.

escrs
    Free Member

UPDATE

Well that was a load of palava!

So here is the story

So place my order with Galibier on Sat the 13th and had an email that day saying my order had finished being processed and is packed and on route to me

So a few days pass and on Weds the 17th i email Galibier and enquire why my order is, they reply saying the Pro2 jacket i ordered does not come in stock till that very afternoon and my order will be shipped out that evening, so i reply saying ok no problem

Friday the 19th comes and i email Galibier asking if the order has been shipped and ask for tracking details, i receive no reply

So they are open 6 days a week so was hoping for a reply Friday afternoon or Sat but nothing so on the Monday i drop them another email asking for tracking details again

I get a reply saying the jacket landed on Friday and my order was shipped on Saturday at 9am and should be with me by Weds/Thurs, i reply saying thanks and can i have the tracking number, i receive no answer

Today Weds the 24th the order finally arrives, out of curiosity i type the tracking number in to the Royal mail website (i finally have a tracking number!) to find it was posted out on Tuesday the 23rd!!!! which also corresponds with the postage label date

Oh well at least its now here, the communication hasn’t been great and they haven’t been honest with the shipping times but its here now

Open up the packaging to find the order is wrong!!!!!

I ordered two pairs of black socks and have received one pair of dayglow yellow socks, again ok no problem ill just drop them an email and explain the issue

As for the jacket and bib tights, they seem very good, fit is ok but im slightly overweight at the moment so they will be perfect in a few months (just in time for summer!)

My only real gripe which i knew when ordering is the bib tights have a flash of yellow on each leg and the jacket has a large orange stripe down the back, it would have been nice for them to be matching colours

Sandwich

And as predicted the weather is now positively balmy.

escrs
    Free Member

Will hit 10 degrees when i head to work and will drop to 5 degrees when i come home, i think ill be ok

slowoldman

That’s a shame, I’ve always found Galibier very reliable.

footflaps

Yep, summer bike has been out twice now and been riding in shorts. I was too warm yesterday in a long sleeve top, soaked in sweat by the end of the ride….

escrs
    Free Member

UPDATE 2

So Galibier have got back to me and said the one pair of dayglow yellow socks were a gift as the 2 pairs of black ones I ordered are out of stock (they were in stock when I ordered them) and they have issued me a refund for those items (only after I made them aware of the issue)

In all fairness I can’t see myself using Galibier ever again

Will go back to Castelli from Sigma Sports

fatbikedog
    Free Member

I have always found them very efficient with deliveries.

neila

Very unusual inefficiency from Galibier, I have been using them for a number of years and have never had a issue, everyone can have an off day. I ordered some glasses last week and they arrived in two working days.

escrs
    Free Member

I may have just been unlucky but the whole experience has put me off using them again

Cant fault the bib tights or jacket though, they do the job very well, just a shame about the customer experience

ransos
    Free Member

I placed an order late on Thursday evening and it arrived Saturday lunchtime. Impressive.

A note on sizing which is Italian style: I’m a medium in most cycling kit but needed a large Sentinel jersey.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Winter bib tights and long sleeve jerseys’ is closed to new replies.