Winstanley's bikes

Home Forum Bike Forum Winstanley's bikes

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Winstanley's bikes
  • transition1

Out of interest what frame was it?

It was a DMR Bolt.

neilwheel

Prices are often good and delivery quick when in stock.

I have had a similar experience with stuff on backorder and I don’t think it will change any time soon.

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

There seems to be more and more reports of this sort of thing going on. It’s almost as if the companies are so competitive to get orders they’ll advertise stuff and then try to get it in from the distributor as quick as possible.
    I always check now, on the phone, that the parts I want are actually in stock (even if it says so on the website) before ordering.
    Not had a problem with Winstanley tho..

wilko1999

I ordered an in-stock BMX from them a month or so ago. To sum up the experience in one sentence – slow delivery, poor communications but very cheap BMX.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Winstanleys are known for this I thought? Remember the cheap Hope Hoops a few years back, “they’ll be in stock next week!”, for week after week it was always Real Soon Now… meanwhile Hope were saying “No, they won’t be in stock for ages, we can’t get the Stans rims”.

I just barely avoided it and got some more expensive ones from Wheelpro but I’d have been raging if I’d been waiting months for wheels that were unobtainable from the manufacturers while being promised they were on their way…

jaylittle

A few years back I worked for a company that sold bikes online, they would often advertise bikes as being in stock that weren’t however they did state a longer delivery time on these. It was mainly the higher end bikes so that they weren’t sat in the warehouse.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Just for balance, I’ve had a good experience with winstanleys in the last year or so – twice ordered out of stock bits as they were the only folk listing them. Good level of email communication – informed when a delivery date changed and it arrived when they said it would.

Premier Icon u02sgb
    Subscriber

Yes, noticed this from quite a few companies recently so don’t think it’s limited to Winstanleys. We seem to be “suffering” from the desire to get cheap bits. Everyone seems to be working with “just in time” deliveries to save money keeping stock – except they’re not “just in time” :).

The upside is cheap stuff! So when things work out it’s a good experience. In Winstanleys defence I’ve had a cheap pair of Pike’s and a Hope BB from them which were both “will get from suppliers” and I had them in just over a week. Remember reading somewhere that the price comparison sites penalise you for not having stuff in stock so a lot of them say they have it, or delivery time will be ~1 week.

Stu.

I’m not one for going on forums and complaining about companies ( really… I’m not) but after using Winstanleys for the first time I’m more than a little disappointed.

I ordered a frame from them, it was out of stock but listed as being available to order and usually in stock with them within seven days. I was happy to wait so ordered it. I ordered it in mid June and was notified it would be delivered on the 26th. Fine. On the 25th I was emailed again and told it would be delivered on the 2nd July instead. Also fine if not a little disappointing. 2nd July goes by, no notification, no delivery. So I give them a call. ” it hasn’t come into stock, we’ll chase it up and let you know”. Don’t hear anything so call them the next day. “It says it hasn’t come in stock, we’ll let you know when it does”. I explain again the situation to be told “well it might have come in but it takes a while to check deliveries”. I ask if they will let me know if it has come in or not to be told ” you’ll get a standard notification email when it’s dispatched”.

So I call again on Saturday and ask if they managed to see if it had been delivered “we don’t really have many people work on a Saturday so I don’t know”. I explain that it was Friday that they had the delivery “well it might have been delivered, I’ll check and call you straight back”. Unsurprisingly nothing back from them.

I don’t mind the delay, I ordered something out of stock, but it’s the lack of communication and the poor attitude and the fact they just can’t be bothered. They’ve had my money since I ordered it and just can’t be bothered to just send me a quick update.

Is that about as good as it gets?

I used to deal with the web guy several years back.

IMHO he was an utter nugget and put me off ever using the company.

They could be quite good to deal with, I’ve just never had reason to find out.

rocketman

Have ordered lots of things from Winstanleys and visited them a few times but the golden rule (not only with Winstanleys) is never order anything that isn’t in stock

Was going to order a part last week online (not fron Winstanleys). Phoned first to check exactly what 7-10 days actually means to be told it could be ordered from the distributors. I knew this because the lbs had already not only told me the same thing but also that the distributors hadn’t got any.

No stock no sale

I was quite happy to wait, although I wasn’t expecting near 4 weeks and counting, but it’s just the lack of communication from them and the attitude that seems to be I’m unreasonable for expecting some sort of update.

hypnotoad

I’ve ordered a part that was in stock on the 4th which was in stock, do they send another e-mail when it’s been dispatched?

It would seem reasonable to send a ‘dispatched’ email I would have thought. Every other mail order company i’ve used does.

I’ve called again this morning to be met with the same “we’ll check and see if it’s arrived and let you know”. No doubt i’ll have to contact them again tomorrow to get the ‘let you know’ from them.

So they have finally given me the courtesy and let me know that they THINK it will be in stock on the 18th July. Essentially this could go on indefinitely and I’ll never get my order.

So I’ve spent the past hour calling them with no reply. Can’t even be bothered to answer their phones now. Pretty appalling service. I’ll be getting my money back (I hope!) and never using them again.

Superficial

Yeah, that’s unfortunately pretty standard practice these days. Once the sale has gone through online, order from supplier and hope it comes into the shop in the next few days. Of course the system fails every now and again and the customer is the one who suffers.

That level of communication / lies is unacceptable and I wouldn’t use them again. Actually I vowed never to use Winstanley’s again about 5 years ago.

matther01

Same experience here with winstanleys. The only company I order from when not in stock was Leisure lake…and they were really good about turnaround times.

andyrm

Lots of smaller retailers now drawing XML stock feeds from distributors who then drop ship in on order.

All it takes is an error on the feed/something to be faulty at the distributors and the shop is left high & dry.

As has been said, the desire to force price down results in retailers not being able to hold physical stock if they want to achieve price points and so sales in an increasingly price driven marketplace.

Hate the game not the player and all that…..

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Have ordered lots of things from Winstanleys and visited them a few times but the golden rule (not only with Winstanleys) is never order anything that isn’t in stock

+1

FWIW I’ve had a few orders with them over the years as well as a complete (bargain of a) bike and delivery has been fine. Would not contemplate ordering something not described as “IN STOCK” though!

I ordered an in-stock BMX from them a month or so ago. To sum up the experience in one sentence – slow delivery, poor communications but very cheap BMX.

How long did you have to wait? Thinking about ordering up a BMX for my birthday next week so wouldn’t want it not to arrive!!

Lots of smaller retailers now drawing XML stock feeds from distributors who then drop ship in on order.
    All it takes is an error on the feed/something to be faulty at the distributors and the shop is left high & dry.
    As has been said, the desire to force price down results in retailers not being able to hold physical stock if they want to achieve price points and so sales in an increasingly price driven marketplace.
    Hate the game not the player and all that…..

I don’t disagree but it’s the appalling service that I object to. They’ve taken my money, kept me hanging for a month so far and occasionally, when pushed from me, send me a cut and paste email with a possible delivery date. If they could at some point have the courtesy to have actually contacted me over the past 4 weeks and said ‘we’re really sorry but we may have some difficulties with your order and we can’t really know if or when we will get it, can we offer you something else or refund so as not up waste even more of your time” then I’d be disappointed but at least treated with a little courtesy and half decent customer service.

Premier Icon ticsmon
    Subscriber

I live near winstanleys and go in there quite regular for stuff and they are always busy and seem short staffed (always peak times though). Ordered a out of stock hope seat clamp last tues and they phoned me Sunday to say it had come in. Still had to wait in a que for 15 mins. Not really had a bad experience but it’s easier when you can just call into shop.

Premier Icon ticsmon
    Subscriber

Have you paid in full ? Because when I was I’m the shop a bloke came in for an (out of stock) bike his misses had been in to pay for (lucky sod) and they couldn’t find it because they said if it’s paid in full the computer thinks the item has Been taken. Don’t know if this is the same with internet orders. Worth asking them

hounslow

I ordered some BMX wheels from them a couple of years ago, knowing they were awaiting stock, didn’t need them right away so wasn’t bothered. They said they would send them ASAP but ETA to them was over a week. The wheels turned upon my doorstep 2 days later. Only thing I have bought from them, and I’ve heard horror stories.

wilko1999

zilog – ordered on the Monday morning, arrived Wednesday of the following week. As it was in stock I would have expected better really. What you going for out of interest?

What I don’t understand is in these days of the internet and mail order why this business model even needs need to exist these days. What value do they add? Its not like DMR send them a pallet of 10 bikes which they have to pay upfront for and store untill someone buys them. They just take the money, pocket their share, pay DMR about 60% of the RRP and pocket the rest. Id not be supprised if they’re on credit terms with the distributors too so the money’s never out of their account!

Not bought from winstanleys but had the same problem with another shop that tried to do the same thing.

No wonder bricks and mortar shops can’t compete on price, They’ve got to buy stock as well as the shop.

mamadirt

Use Winstanleys loads, both the BMX shop and the general website, but only for stuff which is in stock – always despatched within a day.

If you’re looking for a Bolt frame, take a look here – http://outlet.upgradebikes.co.uk/Outlet/Clearance/Frames/DMR – several bargains to be had (I’ve ordered from Upgrade several times – super quick delivery and great service).

Premier Icon Bustaspoke
    Subscriber

Ordered from them a couple of times,never had a problem.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

zilog – ordered on the Monday morning, arrived Wednesday of the following week. As it was in stock I would have expected better really. What you going for out of interest?

Either the fluoro 20.5″ version of the one you got (which seems best spec/weight for the money) or this Redline which is a bit heavier, 21″ (not sure if that will be a good thing or not) and a less lairy colour http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/46715/Redline_Asset_2012_BMX_Bike

wilko1999

That Asset looks good. Few more options:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stolen-heist-bmx-bike-2013/rp-prod87827?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=generic85386&awc=2698_1404813860_30a3b949dfa71c43f911576c3e8b4c82

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/56827/Premium_Duo_2013_BMX_Bike

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/55946/Felt_Manic_2013_BMX_Bike

Don’t over-think it, any of them will be great 😀

For information – my Haro required a lot of assembly when it turned up. If you’re intending on using brakes, be prepared to have to fit them, and they’re a bit of a fiddle 🙂

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Well fair play to Winstanleys – ordered the bike Friday and it turned up this morning so no complaints there!

If you’re intending on using brakes, be prepared to have to fit them, and they’re a bit of a fiddle

You’re not kidding. Fitting that back brake was the most frustrating thing I’ve done for a long time! I assume it’s not actually possible to avoid the straddle cable rubbing the seat tube unless you use a different cable hanger that’s actually wider than the tube? I’ve just used a bit of heli-tape under where the cable sits.

I like it though! It was a bit scary at first but nowhere near as twitchy as I thought it would be. Just got to learn some rad tricks now!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Winstanley's bikes’ is closed to new replies.