• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Windhill on a Hardtail?
  • cokie

Got a work thing down the road from Windhill so seems rude not to go ride.
    It’s hard to find any info on the different trails there..
    Can I take the hardtail and have fun? I’ve ridden a few trail centres reds on it (including Swinley 😉 ).

ampthill

The one at the end of the Hope Valley? Bridleways are fine. We road it all on rigid bikes back in the day. Then whooped with excitement about how fast we could go with 80mm forks

alric
    Free Member

dunno but really want to go there this weekend

Rubber_Buccaneer

The one at the end of the Hope Valley

I think he means the one near Longleat with the scary looking ladder drop

joebristol

Do you mean Windhill bike park by longleat. I reckon you could do it on a hardtail. There aren’t many rock gardens etc – just if you ride all day there I reckon your legs would be knackered from all the jumps and drops. It’s quite full on, but the majority (ignoring the pro line) is rollable.

To add, it’s nothing like the marked / official trails at Swinley!

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

You’ll be fine . Trails arnt that rough

Rubber_Buccaneer

I haven’t been but hope to. There are videos on their Facebook page to give you an idea, everything from blue to sod that

https://www.facebook.com/windhillb1kepark/

mark90
    Free Member

+1 You’ll be fine.

cokie

Cheers guys!
    Yes, W1ndhill near Longleat.
    All the videos seem to be pros doing hero level stuff.
    I’ll take it easy. I’m not travelling just for that, so won’t feel wasted if I don’t do it all.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Should have said before. You need to get a membership card before you go. Starts from free (then pay on the day for access) but afaik you have to have applied for membership before you turn up

https://www.b1ke.com/membership/

kongman28
    Free Member

As said above a hard tail will be fine. The blue trail is super smooth flowy fun and there’s a red that’s still smooth with bigger jumps. There are a few rougher more natural trails but you’ll enjoy it all.

chiefgrooveguru

Perfect for a hardtail! Will make them push-up easier too!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Everything there is doable*, with sufficient skill on a hardtail, but it depends how good you are and how modern the hardtail is. An XC hardtail is not going to be much fun on the black runs (or the reds for that matter).

*Callum, who works there, regularly rides the pro line on a dj bike, but you’d have to be insane to do that – the vertical drop off the boner log to where you land is 25ft!

I ride there every week on my Nukeproof and used to ride there on a hardtail (quite an old Kinesis). The blacks are massively easier on something with modern geometry and a bit of travel – mainly because you can hit the jumps/drops/roots much harder.

It’s nothing like Swinley reds, though – the nearest thing to a Swinley red is the sole blue. Everything else is much bigger – jumps, drops, roots, etc. In terms of difficulty, the gradings are more similar to Bike Park Wales (although the trails are much shorter).

I’d start with Bluetopia, which is fast and flowy with a few jumps, then move up to Emperu, which is a red trail that adds much bigger jumps and berms. Once you’ve got used to those, move on to Pass the Duchy, which is a natural feeling red with some roots drops and a couple of jumps at the end (and a big road gap jump if you take the new trail extension. This is more like a black at most trail centres.

Of the three blacks, Rootiful South is the easiest – just beware of the stepdowns halfway down and the log jump at the end (not particularly high, but the track drops away steeply at this point so you’ll be off the ground for a long time if you hit it at speed.

Feed Em is similar, but has a tricky section where the track just drops away right before a berm. It’s much worse than it looks in videos, but it is just about rollable.

Ark at Ee is fast and steep with some sizeable unrollable drops (although you can ride round them) and a decent sized gap jump near the end.

The Pro Line is mental – you’re talking massive gap jumps, 25 ft drops. It’s the only one I don’t yet ride and don’t know if I ever will manage to do the whole thing.

I work pretty nearby, so if you fancy meeting up there, let me know.

JP

cokie

Perfect, thanks all.

@jjprestidge
    really helpful- thanks. Sounds like ideal HT trails. If it’s smooth I don’t mind bigger jumps/drops.

The Swinley comment was a joke, hence the 😉 . I’ve done BPW reds, 417 red & black and some other trail centres. Sounds like I’ll be alright 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Windhill on a Hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.