Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Whyte 403
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Can anybody confirm the standover height on the Whyte 403 please?
    Whyte say it’s suitable for people 135-152cm but standover 715mm, which seems to high for someone 135cm, unless they have long legs..
    Checked my lads inseam, approx 590mm.

Kryton57

My son has one, he’s a little short for his age but has ridden it from 134cm to 137cm now.  I can measure in the morning for you.

binman

Where do you measure it ? From the point on the frame from the front of the saddle ?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Normally half way along the top tube down to the ground 👍

binman

Bout 70cm ?

binman

Seat slammed is 72cm (2017 405)

Goldigger
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s a shame to big for my eldest.
    Can’t see a 24 inch bike lasting that long..

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I just bought a 2nd hand 401 for the boys 9th birthday, his ISL is about 62cm and I bought it knowing it was going to be too big… having a measure he should be able to cope with it in the garden/to school but I wouldn’t take it on any tails like it.

binman

I had another look, you could lower the seat by another inch if trimmed the seatpost. Not sure that helps.

Great kids bikes, sad to see ours go this week.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

With a bit cut of the seat tube you can get the saddle to 720mm and the standover just a bit in front is 670mm (thats on a 401 I think they are pretty similar..)

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Seatpost* too late to edit…

Goldigger
    Free Member

Skankin_giant
    With a bit cut of the seat tube you can get the saddle to 720mm and the standover just a bit in front is 670mm (thats on a 401 I think they are pretty similar..)

Thanks..
    Just measured his inside leg with shoes on, only 64cm!

Anyone know what’s the weight of the 403 and 405?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

12.4kg according to google.

Kryton57

Its fine.  My 11yo is 69cm inside leg and the 71cm is taken from the middle of the TT, which slopes a lot downward towards the seat tube.   He’s ridden and raced his with no issues.

He won’t lose his testicles.

binman

Weights will vary between 403 / 405 and model years.

The 2017 405 came with GX, so will be lighter that the 2018 model that came with NX.

The stock wheels were heavy, so used some Stan’s Crests tubeless and dropped a load of weight.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I was curious and checked out the geo on some women’s bikes, having two canyons myself I looked at what they have.
    Any reason why a women’s bike 2XS would be a bad choice? Apart from crank length..
    Canyons grand canyon wmn has a lower stand over and reach. Comes with 27.5 wheels so I’d just need to replace the frame when he’s to big..

daviek

That canyon looks pretty good, my daughter is 135cm tall with a 66cm inside leg and i think this might be a good bet for her next bike, I think she has about 1 – 1 1/2″ left of her seat post on her Orbea. Only pity is that its a straight steerer and the crank could have been doing with being shorter but that’s easy to sort out.

Think I’ll start to keep an eye out for a second hand one ….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 403’ is closed to new replies.