Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Why don't Private school kids ride to school?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve been working in Cobham for a month and a half now, and it struck me the other day, that I have honestly not once seen a child riding a bike to school.
    All the schools I pass are private schools, and most of the traffic jams are caused by the long line of 4×4’s turning into them dropping the children off.
    The only reason I can think of is that the majority of the pretty wealthy school mum’s don’t work, so are able to drop them off.
    I was also wondering though (as mad as it may seem) whether the schools actually have a no cycling policy? Cobham’s not exactly central London so I’m struggling to believe that. Surely in this day and age a bit of exercise on the way to school should be encouraged? This isn’t even a mild rant, but I just thought it a bit strange.

nealglover
    Free Member

Mostly because they aren’t local I would imagine.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Aren’t they all boarders? Living in dorms and playing the biscuit game?

slowoldman

I doubt it’s specific to private schools.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Chelsea Tractors need to be shown off, that’s it.

sirromj

Mummy & Daddy never learnt to ride bicycles.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I live a few miles down the road from there half the week.

This isn’t a typical place. It is Surrey. The land of the black range Rover driven badly by a blonde on the phone

People only ride their bikes at weekends wearing Rapha training for sportives…

eddie11
    Free Member

Bigger catchments. They’ll be coming from 10 of miles away for the good/fashionable ones.

nealglover
    Free Member

Chelsea Tractors…

There you go, just like I said. Not local.

Chelsea must be 10 miles from Cobham 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

“If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to”

– Dorothy Parker

choppersquad
    Free Member

Chelsea training into ground is in Cobham.

choppersquad
    Free Member

This isn’t an attack on private school kids, I just wondered why I hadn’t seen a single one?
    I used to love riding to school with my mates.
    It used to be a mini adventure every day.
    I think they’re missing out.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My son goes to private school and 1 child rides his bike to school, the others don’t live close enough to, my son included.

I wish I didn’t have to take him the 7 miles each way, but if we want him to go to private school then no option.

nealglover
    Free Member

This isn’t an attack on private school kids,

And who could have predicted it would turn out that way 😆

ourmaninthenorth

I used to. Mainly in the summer when I was a day boarder as it was still light when school finished (9pm). Winter was no fun due to country lanes, unlit trunk roads and the old Everready D cell lamps (jumpers for goalposts etc).

Once I was 17 and had passed my test I used to drive in and park the car in the village (we weren’t allowed to drive to school). Sadly my 1975 850 Mini wasn’t a 4×4, in spite of regular efforts to go off-roading 😀

My mother does drive a Range Rover now. But then she is 72 years old….

eskay

My two boys know a kid who races with them and boards, he is not allowed to train outside of the school gates, so he has to do all of his training on rollers/turbo (he hates it!).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Kids tend to live further away, no such thing really as a catchment area for a private school. My kids went to schools as close as 10 mins drive or as much as 40. 10 min drive school was on big busy roads I wouldn’t have wanted them to cycle on anyway. We knew a few kids who walked to the school as they lived close enough.

A decent number of private school mums work, often in order to pay the school fees.

I used to ride my bike to (state) school fwiw

cubist
    Free Member

finephilly
    Free Member

There’s a few teenagers where I work. they all get lifts in/out from parents, despite living less than a mile away! All are state school educated. As a responsible adult setting a good example, I skid in sideways now and then 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

I used to go to the private school next to the Chelsea training ground (it was something else then), I cycled.

alpin
    Free Member

Because they don’t have parking for horses….

deadkenny
    Free Member

Wouldn’t worry. Corbyn wants to rid Britain of private schools. He’ll ban Chelsea Tractors and resurrect British Leyland (nationalised) and everyone will be driving Austins. No one will be allowed to go to anywhere but their catchment area school and as the entire country will be on strike with the immense power of unions, there will be no fuel so everyone will be walking or riding to school.

If he can force kids to ride bikes or skateboards also instead of girly scooters, then we’ll be in proper 70s.

Oh and kids will be glowing from eating their Ready Brek.

hammerite
    Free Member

There are plenty who ride in to Jnr’s school (private). Lots get the bus and lots get dropped off. However, as mentioned above lots of Jnr’s mates live a fair trek from school and cycling isn’t necassarily safe or easy.

Jnr ocassionally rides, but he stays for revision sessions most nights and living as far away as we do it wasn’t something we fancied him doing when the nights were dark.

aP
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member
    Wouldn’t worry. Corbyn wants to rid Britain of private schools. He’ll ban Chelsea Tractors and resurrect British Leyland (nationalised) and everyone will be driving Austins. No one will be allowed to go to anywhere but their catchment area school and as the entire country will be on strike with the immense power of unions, there will be no fuel so everyone will be walking or riding to school.

Really don’t worry. If Strong & Secure Theresa forces through the unwanted hard Brexit in the way that she’s making friends and influencing people now there’ll be no services industries, no manufacturing, no farming, no health service, some police, no bin men and no builders. Having a SUV that you can’t afford the payments on or fill with fuel sounds just dandy to me.

RustySpanner

Seems to be the case with all schools, not just the private ones.

Some schools have safe access and facilities, some don’t.

allyharp

Haha what do you do in Cobham? I work there too (for an insurance company) and it’s a pretty small place.

I’m disappointed in general at the amount of car traffic schools generate. Even as a cyclist – where you’re relatively immune to traffic – my commute to work is significantly better during term holidays.

I think it’s probably a South East thing for a few reasons. Busier, hence more traffic and reasons to avoid the roads. Parents have more money, hence are able to be selective in choice of schools which may not be just around the corner.

aracer
    Free Member

Our school’s a state school, but in the countryside. One of the mums occasionally did the school run by horse when my kids first went there (her kids are older and have now moved on).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh and while we are at it, when I am driving my son to school in our posh BMW, some peasants are waiting at the bus stop to send their kids to the local comp less than half a mile away 🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

choppersquad – Member
    I’ve been working in Cobham for a month and a half now, and it struck me the other day, that I have honestly not once seen a child riding a bike to school.

Life is much more precious at that age then taking the risk to ride to school. They just do not want their children to be part of the statistic. 🙄

They can even drive an 18 wheeler or Chieftain tank to drop the children off I am still fine with that … 😛

CountZero

Kids tend to live further away, no such thing really as a catchment area for a private school.

There’s two state schools, plus a primary near where I live, plus others the other side of town, the nearest private school is St Mary’s in Calne, which is a boarding school, with international pupils, and there’s little difference regarding cycling, most of the kids walk, because on a bike they can’t talk to their friends in large groups spilling off the path onto the road/cycle-path, have tinny ‘music’ playing, texting other friends, checking their social media…

gobuchul
    Free Member

I live in the South East, in Kent.

Pretty average village, not particularly “posh”.

None of the immediate local schools are private and I never have seen any children riding to school.

The traffic is pretty horrendous for what should be a quiet rural location, the roads the schools are on are terrible for cycling and I avoid them on the bike.

However, the worse time is probably the school run, busy traffic with crazy parking by dozens of cars. Despite the majority of the catchment area being within walking distance.

bodgy
    Free Member

Broader catchment area and an increasing fear of cycling on roads – traffic density is heavier and people drive more aggressively.

That said, my son is at a prep school; several of the local children do cycle or are cycling with parents on a trailer bike.

tonyg2003

Unless I’ve missed them – there are no cycle paths in Cobham. I know of three private schools in Cobham and if my boy went to them he wouldn’t be cycling (busy roads).

We’re a couple of miles from Cobham in Leatherhead and loads of kids cycle (my boy does every day) but there are good cycle paths and it’s safe.

Also I ride with Rapha wearing weekend warrior road cyclists too. Cobham just has crap traffic/roads.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not just a Private school thing. the roads around schools in all the towns and villages near me are littered with SUV’s and 4×4’s dropping their kids off. For some reason parents do that these days. I used to walk to school on my own when at primary school, but these days I guess parents perceive that kids are at more risk these days.

DrP

I think it’s jsut a signs of modern society.

I have this feeling that if someone can’t SEE where they want to go (i.e line of sight) then they feel they have to drive there.

My son goes to a state school, with a fair shair of lower socioeceonimic families (not a dig – I came from a very poor background) and in reality, the poorer people DO live nearer the school, and don’t have access to numerous cars, so do scoot and walk moreso it seems.

I think it’s lovely getting kids to use their legs to move around – should be encouraged.

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

My mate (who got me into cycling), lives in a nice Oxfordshire village, private school on the edge of the village. We went to pick his kid up from school – in the car – took us 2 mins. “Why doesn’t he ride or walk?” I ask. Shrugs, no one does. They love to battle with the Chelsea tractors for parking. The kids have bikes AT the school. They cycle around the grounds… but they all get lifts in! Nothing to do with catchment area, it’s just what they do.

mudshark
    Free Member

tonyg2003 – Member

We’re a couple of miles from Cobham in Leatherhead and loads of kids cycle (my boy does every day) but there are good cycle paths and it’s safe.

I’m nearby – do some kids use that newish cycle path between Leatherhead and Ashtead? Useless for adults IMO – do any of them use it?

Fantombiker

My son went to a private school, there was no facilities to lock up bikes and no one cycled in. I lived in Netherlands for a while and I guess around 95% of kids cycled in, but easy to do when it’s flat and they have great cycle paths.

ferrals
    Free Member

Live right by a state school, all the nearby residential roads get clogged up by parents parking to pick up kids so its not school dependant.

I went to a private school, loads of us rode to school, then spent our lunch breaks practising trials on discarded pallets out the back, were even taken mountain biking a few times as an option in P.E. lessons. Doubt H&S would allow that these days.

tonyg2003

@mudshark Yes the cycle path between Ashtead and leatherhead is used by children cycling to school. I’d agree that for us road mamils its not very good and the road next to it is pretty wide (not trying to reopen any – should be use cycle path arguments).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Why don't Private school kids ride to school?’ is closed to new replies.