Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • which singlespeed chain?
  • cragrat73
    Free Member

just built up the inbred slotted for singlespeed duties including ssuk 2011. snapped a brand new sram 9 speed chain first ride out sunday, i’m not that powerful. so any advice on which chain would be a bit tougher or more suitable?
    many thanks.

Tom83

I use sram 8 speed chains, never had a problem, and like to stomp up the hills. Pretty cheap too, which is nice. Or get a 3/32 gussett chain from crc for more beef and tarty colour options!

edhornby

get the cheapie brown KMC Z1, fiver and indestructable

Coyote
    Free Member

SS specific chain, oh something like a BMX one? The cheap KMC chains are a bargain too!

speaker2animals

I’ve been using an “8 speed” chain from those Sunday morning “Cycle Sale” jobbies. 3 for about £15. Take a little effort to get a quick link to fit but it will with determination. Last for yonks.

doof_doof
    Free Member

KMC 610

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

SRAM PC-1. Chunky tough chain.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I use a track specific chain.

road-track-bike/Track-1-8-Chain-Silver/MCHECHAI200000000000?utm_campaign=Googlebase&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=Googlebase

meehaja
    Free Member

I used a KMC BMX chain and found it rubbed, sucked and slipped as my SS cog was a narrow one. Tried a 9 speed but it stretched a lot (and I was running magic ratio) so that was out. Now running a cheapy (possibly 5speed) chain from tesco or Asda? it was only a few quid and so far has lasted since december with no problems.

13thfloormonk

I had a PC-1 and it dropped constantly, switched to a KMC and even running less tension it wouldn’t drop. Couldn’t figure out what was wrong with the PC-1 but wouldn’t go back.

Edric64
    Free Member

PC-1 for me

mboy
    Free Member

I had a PC-1 and it dropped constantly, switched to a KMC and even running less tension it wouldn’t drop. Couldn’t figure out what was wrong with the PC-1 but wouldn’t go back.

Exactly my experience of the PC1 too. Oh and mine stretched to an unusable length after only about 6 rides!

Replaced it with a cheapo KMC 8spd chain and didn’t look back. Much tougher, didn’t suffer chainline issues, and didn’t stretch beyond usable in no time!

KMC Z610 for Rohloff & single speed for me.
    I’ve tried, but I can’t break them.

c_klein87

KMC z610 here to, they seem to need bedding in a chris king cogs tho

onandon
    Free Member

My vote goes for the YBN SL410 Chain.
    Light weight, bomb proof, no skipping or dropping.

Jase
    Free Member

KMC here too.

_tom_
    Free Member

KMC 510HX. Don’t think I’ve ever broken one of these even on a bmx. They’re a pain to adjust the length of though, I snapped a cheaper chain tool with one.

Andy-R

I’ve used KMC 610HX for singlespeed and IGH for the last few years. Good chains, in my opinion.

Macavity
    Free Member

Poor Chain line is a possible cause of a broken chain.

For variable chain line , but still single speed……
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3150/3023113649_2834a71806_z.jpg?zz=1

GDRS

KMC BMX chain – especially if you are a screw on freewheeler…….

boxelder

Im just using my old SRAM PC970or whatever was on the bike when it had gears. Is it about to snap and causes my stem to tenderise my nether regions?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘which singlespeed chain?’ is closed to new replies.