Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Where to stay for BPW? Looks like it will soon be less of a problem.
  • dove1

Permission has been granted to build accommodation units at BPW.
    Should be good as long as the prices aren’t extortionate.

airvent
    Free Member

Wheres the current go to place to stay? I looked a while back and couldn’t work out where we could stay that fidnt require a decent sized group to make it worth itm

kayak23

Will they charge you more if you take the lift to the top floor I wonder? 🤔

jamesmio
    Free Member

There’s a Travelodge and Premier Inn in Merthyr T, both perfectly adequate and cheap as chips.

airvent
    Free Member

@jamesmio what do you do with your bike at a travelodge

vinnyeh

@jamesmio what do you do with your bike at a travelodge

Presumably the same as all the rest of us, and put it in our rooms?

vinnyeh

I wonder what the rationale with this is- anyone know?

There already seems a fair amount of accommodation in the area, whether it’s chain or locally owned. Like most rental accommodation, unless it’s high occupancy all the time then it’s money thrown away. Will something like this go to isolating cyclists from the local community- not forgetting BPW was largely funded on the back of regeneration grants.

weeksy

Premier Inn are fine with clean bikes in rooms

mashr

Yup, bikes in rooms has always been fine

I wonder what the rationale with this is- anyone know?

Build stuff, make money. Advertise your bike friendly accommodation even when everywhere else is already bike friendly anyway

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

From that link-It looks like they could potentially have some competition for accommodation from a big new next door neighbour there too…..if it gets off the ground.

Rhydycar West

reluctantjumper

Will something like this go to isolating cyclists from the local community- not forgetting BPW was largely funded on the back of regeneration grants.

There was a fair amount of talk about exactly this locally when news of the application came to light. I know the Rhydycar Travelodge was earmarked to be sold off just before BPW opened as it was running at 1/3rd occupancy most of the time, the influx of bikers really did save it. They have seen a drop in numbers due to BPW opening later and finishing earlier meaning more people are driving there in one day, having accommodation on-site will hurt them. A few of the local B&B’s pretty much survive on bikers visiting in the winter!

Also these initial planning applications have a habit of slowly growing in size too. Does seem strange that where the main building is used to be the local drugs/prostitute/dogging site, now people will be paying decent chunks of money (when do BPW ever do cheap) to sleep at the same place.

nickc

Will something like this go to isolating cyclists from the local community

Have you stayed in any of the non chain hotels in Merthyr? I’ll save you the trouble..They’re all pretty much shit. I’ve tried most of them over the years, including a few further out of the town centre, and frankly, if more accomodation at BPW drives them out of business, they have no one to blame but themselves. I use the chain hotel now, but the money you pay doesn’t stay in the community obviously.  The article says that it will employ 16 more people, bringing the total to 70 FTE local jobs, which is bloody brilliant IMO, and off course all the money you spend stays in Merthyr.

oikeith

AirBNB has lots of options for close to BPW in Abercanaid or Methyr, some of them cater to bikers too listing BPW in the description and having a rear garden with hose for bike washing.

I’ve stayed in two different properties which were excellent each time. One of them I now have the hosts number and since go direct, the place has secure-ish rear parking and you can take the bikes in the house. The host also runs a pub around the corner which is great to stop in for a drink. PM me if you’d like the details.

maccruiskeen

what do you do with your bike at a travelodge

Whatever you do – don’t forget to hang the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door first

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm

Northwind

Our solution has been, stay somewhere closer to either the FOD or BMCC. All 3 are within a sensible drive of each other and accomodation near Pandy is way cheaper.

kayak23

Subscriber

Will they charge you more if you take the lift to the top floor I wonder? 🤔

For some reason, the lift starts on the 2nd floor.

gribble
    Free Member

The Grange Guesthouse, just up the road

I stayed here with Mrs Gribble. Really nice couple running it, nice rooms, amazing breakfast, secure bike storage, parking off the street.

They can organize dinner for you, or you can go to the very good curry house, which is a five minute walk.

smiffy

There’s a bunkhouse at Pwll Du https://www.pwllduadventurecentre.co.uk/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay for BPW? Looks like it will soon be less of a problem.’ is closed to new replies.