Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Where to live, Caterham / Reigate area.
  • adamhicks
    Free Member

Hi all,

I notice there are a few people from Surrey on this forum so a quick question for you.

I’m starting a new job in Caterham in September and shall be relocating from the West Country to work there.

As I don’t know the area at all beyond a quick drive round I’m after some advice on where to rent.

I’m 26 and moving down on my tod so I’m looking for somewhere with a lot going on, I love rock climbing, obviously riding and anything sporty. Also quite fond of a quiet drink or nice places to eat but don’t need nightclubs or anything…

Also wish to be a within 30 mins drive of Caterham and am willing to pay a bit more in rent if it makes for a better lifestyle.

So far Caterham is on my list for cheapness and proximity to work and Reigate is also there because it looks really nice!

Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice, and apologies that I’ll be replying to this tread at strange times of day: I’m in Whistler at the moment 😆

Caher

Dorking.

adamhicks
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, why do you rat Dorking?

jamj1974

Totally irrelevant – but my great-grandfather Thomas made exactly the same move nearly 100 years ago… He lived on Stafford Rd in Caterham. No help at all, but brought back some great memories for me! Great-grandmother was nearly shot dead on same road by tail gunner of low-flying German aircraft in 1940 – so be careful, there is a long history of gun crime…!

rewski
    Free Member

It does depend on budget, if you’re wanting cheap then worth looking at whyte leaf, redhill, coulsdon and some parts of purley are cheaper than others, great rail link to London, sussex coast and the two destinations you highlighted above. I live near riddlesdown, great riding out the door on the ndw, often ride to caterham and Reigate.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I really like Caterham and even more so Woldingham and Warlingham near by, you’ll be on the North Downs. Caterham is in easy and very quick reach of East Croydon and therefore also London Victoria and Brighton, changing at Norwood Jct will get you to East London and the Docklands very quickly via the London Overground. If you like village life then Godstone right next to Caterham would be ideal.

rewski
    Free Member

Woldingham is very nice but £££££, great countryside and riding too, marden park and ndw.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am not so familiar with that area as I live further West but I would suggest you try out the commute (by car I assume) on a busy work day before deciding. What’s a 15 min drive during day or at weekend can be much longer in heavy traffic. Advice above about good rail links is sound as you might as well make use of all that central London has to offer from time to time (should be easy to get to the O2 also if you care) Gatwick is very accessible from that part of London for your holiday flights, likewise Channel Tunnel.

From an activities perspective there is lots going on in South/South East, there is bound to be a climbing club/wall for training not too far. As an approximation for Surrey Hills riding you could use Wescott (near Dorking) as a distance to travel, shameless plug for the LBS there – Nirvana Cycles – they do shop rides and can help you get acclimatised to the area/meet some people. Plus of course STW can point you in the right direction

Good luck

singletrackmind

I am from Caterham originaly ( Harestone Valley Road ) my mum still lives there.
    Not alot going on there really for 20 somethings. A few busy pubs and restaurants but no sports center.
    There is a different vibe between the ‘Valley’ and the ‘Hill’ .
    It certainly is an expensive area to live ,as it is the end of the line London commuters always get a seat on the way to work.

Redhill/Reigate far more lively and alot more going on, nearer the best riding in the SE too . Or go abit further out and consider Horley /Crawley. Still within 30 mins and alot cheaper.

The proximity to M25 / M23 makes getting in and out fairly quick.
    North Downs on your doorstep so you could live there butI wouldnt want to.

Straightliner

Commuting in that area can be busy, but assuming you head in before the school run, there are plenty of different routes to get around which avoid the obvious main roads.

As mentioned above Woldingham/Warlingham are quite expensive, Caterham a bit cheaper but has good commuting into London. North of there you head into more urban areas with less greenery. Godstone and Bletchingley are sweet little villages/towns but rail links are very poor. Redhill/Merstham is a bigger town although some bits are less desireable, but they have very good rail and road links north and south. Reigate is a lovely market town, but prices usually reflect that and the rail commute is slower. Dorking is another lovely market town, but a little further west, however it arguably has the best riding in close proximity.

And when you do find a location in that area, there are a number of MTB groups going out regularly including Redhill CC and Dorking Cocks, and some shops ride groups such as those leaving from Nirvana in Westcott.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Dorking Cocks! I think Ive met them. 🙂

To the OP….its all about money really, the nicest places will cost the most, but if I was you, I’d be looking at Reigate area first and if thats too expensive, try and find a decent spot in Redhill.

These two towns are on top of each other, but literally chalk and cheese. Reigate, very up market and Redhill mostly quite the opposite, with some very dodgy residents! 😯

jamj1974

Warlingham and Dorking nice and most of Reigate very good too. More affordable than those and a bit nicer than Redhill you have Coulsdon and Purley.

tallgavin
    Free Member

I love rock climbing

I’d suggest East Grinstead. Half hour to work, half hour to the Surrey Hills for biking. As for climbing, you’ll have ‘Stone Farm Rocks’ on your doorstep (very polished) and the rest of the Southern Sandstone all within 20 mins or so. Redhill and Reigate good also. I’m in Dorking and although great for the riding, it’s 40 mins to Stone Farm and the best part of an hour to places like Harrisons Rocks, Eridge Rocks, High Rocks etc

spacemonkey

As a Surrey Hills resident, I’d rate the following (all with a bit of life and quick access to the hills):

“Better” places: Reigate + Dorking

“Inbetween” places, i.e. some parts are really nice, others less so: Epsom, Banstead, Horley

“Not so nice” places: Redhill, Crawley, Sutton

Also plenty of nice villages that won’t necessarily keep you entertained at night but have rural settings, community feel and are only 5 mins from some towny action.

andyfla
    Free Member

Don’t live in Woldingham, it maybe beautiful and all that but it has no pub ! I know I grew up there …

I would live there like a shot but as said it is rather pricey

Oxted, Godstone would be my suggestions

andyfla
    Free Member

You love rock climbing ? You poor, poor man forget that one for a while

zippykona

Caterham is bloody freezing in the winter.

ransos
    Free Member

Redhill/Reigate far more lively and alot more going on, nearer the best riding in the SE too . Or go abit further out and consider Horley /Crawley. Still within 30 mins and alot cheaper.

I cycled through Redhill recently and thought it was a dreadful dump.

joolsburger
    Free Member

So you are around 5 minutes from the M25 in Caterham. I’d say the simple option is somewhere like Purley/Coulsdon/Whyteleaf. Nearest major town Croydon which is an utter, utter shithole but has all amenities. You’ll be 20 mins from work. Traffic from places like Epsom, Dorking etc will be a major pain in the arse in rush hour especially if you have to take the M25. Dorking is OK but a little dull and I expect you could be 20 mins from work or an hour on a crap day. Basically none of it’s terrible but a lot of it is dull. If I were you I’d go and have a look around Epsom Reigate and Redhill and see what you think.

tonyg2003

None of these areas are exactly rock climbing areas. I’d suggest a cheap Easyjet flight from Gatwick is your best option! or Craggy Island wall in Carshalton.

Reigate is nice – easy M25 drive to Caterham or cross country. Easy to drive/ride to North downs or Leigh hill.

zippykona

Merstham would give you a reasonable off road commute and easy access to Reigate hill. Good train link to Gatwick and London.

tallgavin
    Free Member

None of these areas are exactly rock climbing areas.

Close to 2,000 routes on Southern Sandstone outcrops. Not exactly the Alps granted

phinbob

I grew up in Caterham, my parents still lived there and until a year or so ago I lived in Reigate.

I’d say for riding and commute you would be better off in Reigate, Dorking is nice to but I think would push the 30 minutes commute in traffic.

Reigate has a selection of pubs and restaraunts, a good night riding scene(3-4 groups a week) but nothing much in the way of clubs etc.

Rock climbing is going to be a haul across to the East Grinstead area but not impossible. There is a decent wall south of Redhill.

Good luck!

adamhicks
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks for the replies all. I’ve already tried a few of the commutes at rush hour so have a good idea of timing. Looks like I’ll start my search in Reigate

ransos
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks for the replies all. I’ve already tried a few of the commutes at rush hour so have a good idea of timing. Looks like I’ll start my search in Reigate

If you have a road bike, there’s a lovely stretch near there called Lonesome Lane.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=526530&y=147490&z=2&sv=526530,147490&st=OSGrid&lu=N&tl=Lonesome%20Lane,%20Reigate&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

wooobob

We moved to Reigate last year. It’s very nice, but expensive; we couldn’t afford much here and the house needs a lot of sprucing up, but location-wise it’s money well spent. We’re to the south of the town, and it’s great – just countryside for miles in one direction, nice high street in the other direction. Redhill’s handy for stuff like Wilko’s, Crawley likewise, and Reigate’s got lots of nice pubs and restaurants. I’d recommend it.

alansd1980

Reigate is quite rightly getting a lot of love.
    If you are not bothered about connections to London then I would suggest you have a look in banstead.
    Moved here a few years ago and its really a nice place too life.
    Couple of pubs, lots of places to eat and a nice little high street.

Easy access to sutton and epsom for larger shopping centres.

Plenty of riding close to home and east access to north downs and surrey hills.

rewski
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned tadworth? Sometimes put my bike on the train to Tadworth then ride over to headley Heath, box hill, ranmore and leith hill.

@ tallgavin – high rocks near t wells? takes me back, used to go there as a kid, isn’t there a rock that looks like a toad over that way?

singletrackmind

I’m starting a new job in Caterham in September and shall be relocating from the West Country to work there.

Does no – one read the first post anymore ?

Croudace by any chance?

Thinking about your situation , and depending on your disposble income you have a few more options.

Any village on the A247 or A25 / M25 corridor would suffice, You should also take a look around Guildford. A3/M25 to work and commuting will cost abit ,but great town to live in at 26.

Theres loads of choice , maybe a village with good train link into Guildford .

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Where to live, Caterham / Reigate area.’ is closed to new replies.