• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where do you buy an office chair from that isn't rubbish?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

I built a nice new built in desk in a chimeny alcove and it turned out lovely (win), annoyingly I built it about 4 cm higher than I should have (fail). So rather than rip it out and start again, I thought it’d get a chair that can go up higher than my current one.

Annoyingly it seems there is no Chainreaction of office chairs, and it’s nearly impossible to work out what is tat / good. I don’t want to spend the earth (150 seems reasonable to me) and the chair needs to go up to 58 – 60cm.

Any suggestions welcome!

involver
    Free Member

Cheap office chairs are rubbish. I’d try to find something like a second hand Herman Miller Aeron or Mirra. They’re comfortable, adjustable, last really well and you can even get spare parts. Be aware that they come in different sizes too.

zilog6128

I got a refurbished Steelcase Leap v2 off eBay for £185. Think they are something ridiculous like 600 quid new. Very comfy & super adjustable.

Murray

Second hand Aeron from London Aerons. Bought in 2014, still very comfortable.

Stoner
    Free Member

I furnished my home office from these guys 7 years ago for a song

http://www.lamoffice.com/chairs-and-seating.php

Still sitting v comfortably now on one of these giroflex
    http://www.lamoffice.com/stock/Orangebox-Giroflex-G64-Operators-Chair_276_n.php

councilof10
    Free Member

You can change the gas strut on most office chairs to make them higher…

footflaps

My office chair is 16 years old and still going strong. Cost about £400 though…

Made by Therapod, which seem to cost about £700 now.

involver
    Free Member

You might also need something to put your feet on if you have your chair that high.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Got mine for £100 in ikea. It’s 4 years old and pretty much as new. Back is mesh for cooling and it reclines.

Ewan
    Free Member

You can change the gas strut on most office chairs to make them higher…

ah really – where do you get a gas strut from? Ebay?

councilof10
    Free Member

I’ve had them from these guys – very helpful…

Ewan
    Free Member

Cheers – I will investigate my current chair and see how easily i can swap the strut.

http://www.lamoffice.com might be worth a visit as well.

stumpy01

If you have a Staples near you, they normally have a half decent selection you can fiddle about with.

No idea if they will have any ‘decent’ ones though…

jimdubleyou

Herman Miller Aeron

+1

Don’t get a new one though, they are bonkers prices.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Also bought a second hand Steelcase from Ebay, the Think model.

alanf
    Free Member

Giroflex g64
    quite a few different styles, can be had cheaply on ebay and you get spares easily.
    I’ve had mine about 7 years and changed the seat pad in that time (I’ worn the
    fabric through on the original).
    Think it cost about £50 from ebay which was a bargain even for a used one.

RichPenny
    Free Member

eBay, got a £1k chair for about £30 🙂

paton
    Free Member

Kab seating

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where do you buy an office chair from that isn't rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.