Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • What’s your quaffable red wine?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

So what is the price point for everyday quaffable ?

Good question.

Anything less than a fiver is probably chemicals saturated in dye. Or massively discounted £8 stuff, in which case go for it.. but even £8 is still IRO chemicals with a bit of wine added.

I’m a snob, no problem about that, so I always look for wine without massive sulphites added or included or anything less than £8. £10+ or discounted £15 bottles are easily available.

Organic wines can be had for £12 in Waitrose, these are always my go-to or I spend a decent amount on n bottles. Local vineyards knocking out £9-£12 English whites easily available.

Its not just the price, it’s the quality. 2 glasses is more than enough IMO and you want to enjoy it not wash your food down with it.. if that’s the case buy a squidgy container and go proper glugfest or drink water.

Pieface

La Ville Ferme or Campo Viejo reserva when its on offer. Cahors Malbec when on offer too. Aldi again – their D’ouro is good.

doris5000

Organic wines can be had for £12 in Waitrose, these are always my go-to

If you’re after organic, this stuff crops up quite often these days (esp in your local poncy organic shop) for £8-9 and is rather tasty.  I visited the vineyard a couple of years back and can testify to its organic-ness!

Emiliana Adobe Carmenere Colchagua Valley

oldtalent
    Free Member

Anything under 5 quid and over 14%.

Cant say ive ever noticed the front labels.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The second cheapest.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Aldi’s D’ouro called Animus is a lovely bottle of wine.

binners

The Aldi Argentine Malbec is great foir 6 quid a bottle. They also do a sort of bag of Malbec which holds 2 bottles. Its very good, but is absolutely bloody brilliant for festivals and outdoor shennanigans as an alternative to warm Carling when you’re trying to make out that you is culchared.

Also handy if you’re a massive piss-head like me, and your bin of shame is looking and sounding a bit too shamefull 😀

mariner
    Free Member

The pale red from Provence.

In fact the paler the better.

bubs

Thank you for all of the suggestions.  I’ve picked up a couple from the list that I wouldn’t normally think to try and which are at different ends of the quaffable price range.  I’ll have fun slowly working my way down the others as the nights draw in until I strike gold.   Cheers.

bigjim

Anything under 5 quid and over 14%.

Cant say ive ever noticed the front labels.

Not just me then!

I just go for whatever is on offer in waitrose around £7. Though I’ve just moved to Copenhagen and their supermarkets seem to be about 50% booze and it’s actually cheaper here, well the offers are. £10 for a 40cl beer in teh pub the other night though..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

For me, anything cheap with a decent %!

I just don’t get paying silly money for a bottle of wine. (Anything over £7 is a Xmas present)

Waaay back (in the day) a mate of mine was a truck driver & did the beaujolais nouveau runs each year. He’d pick up from various French vineyards & bring the vino back to drop off at various (Some quite well known) vintners over here, from London to Inverness. Obviously he got a fair bit for himself & wasn’t afraid of sharing it, ranting on about how it was top notch stuff & would be selling for £25 a bottle (I’m talking 1984 ish).

Well even then it tasted pish, & I don’t think my palate’s changed since then!

I aint no snob!

Konastoner
    Free Member

Aldi Stellenbosch Cab Sav, at £6.99 it’ll knock your socks off and its 4.5 / 5 on Decanter.

Aldi

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

And it looks as though Sainsbury’s are doing their “save 25% when buying 6 or more bottles” offer starting on 26th September.

Perfect timing 🙂

ElShalimo

@konastoner

+1000  – it’s really nice.

My only problem is that the bottle is so heavy I think there’s still some wine left in there but sadly no, I’ve drank it all

bikebouy
    Free Member

beaujolais nouveau

Thats a marketing tool for selling sour wines that wouldn’t pass “ummm.. niiice” test.

We used to do it in the 90’s and bring a few cases back, out of the 6-7 cases you could probably rely on only one case that contained decent new wine.. the rest went in for cooking.

It was cheap though..

Rockhopper
    Free Member

£7 for me would be for a special occasion!  Guess thats why I’ve got no friends 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thats a marketing tool for selling sour wines that wouldn’t pass “ummm.. niiice” test.

Well I thought that at the time. I used to think, ‘who pays good money for this shit?’

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaujolais_nouveau

chestrockwell

Current favorite ‘everyday’ red is Castillo Albai Reserva Rioja as it’s on offer at Tesco for £6.50. Also like Campo Viejo Reserva when on offer.

Failing that I agree that the Yellow Tail reds are always drinkable (except that Jammy Red one, although my wife likes it). Hardy’s Crest can be reasonable and cheap but is hit and miss.

kiwijohn

I just help myself

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Re pricing you may find this (un)interesting but you’re really not paying much for wine at £5. Of course if you like what you’re drinking it doesn’t matter anyhow but your 8 pound bottle reduced to 5 was never an 8 pound bottle – there isn’t actually enough margin in there to discount that much even if everyone all along the chain worked for free. The only way you’d bring the price down that much is if HMRC cut their end and, well, death and taxes.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The thing with the economics of wine (and I’ve seen a few pictures like this), is it assumes less money for the wine making = less quality. It probably does, but then again it may be a particular wine maker is really very good and efficient and making quality wine for low prices (or just pays their workers a pittance).

I’m no wine expert or snob, but from brief experience of a boozy trip where we were introduced to an increasing cost of wine each day, the wine really did massively improve with the price once you get past the €20 point. That said the higher the price the older the wine more likely and that is also key for some types of wine. On that point, again with the economics of wine pricing, a good quality wine of older vintage is often significantly more expensive, but it may not have been any more expensive to make. Okay some cheap wines are not designed to be stored. I’m not sure those that are, are really that much more expensive to make though. There is storage, but not a vast cost.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, this still going? Mine is a the grey labeled Rioja from Lidl. It must be good, it has a cork, made of cork.

Most reasonable red wines taste pretty much the same to me anyway, so I wouldn’t bother following my recommendation 😀

doris5000

The thing with the economics of wine (and I’ve seen a few pictures like this), is it assumes less money for the wine making = less quality. It probably does, but then again it may be a particular wine maker is really very good and efficient and making quality wine for low prices (or just pays their workers a pittance).

yeah there are definitely economies to be had.  The Aldi Estevez range, I read recently, is made by a Chilean megabrand (Concho Y Toro) and shipped to the UK in containers.  It’s then bottled somewhere in the UK and shipped to stores (apparently this used to be common practise, even for posh wines, at one point). So given that 50% of the weight of a bottle of wine is the glass, you can see how economies of scale can come into it.

Similarly, I doubt many producers of £20 wines (often smaller places) can buy bottles and shipping for the same price that (say) Hardy’s pay…

surfer
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

most of the cheap plonk we have these days is taste better than most house wines for a third of the price. the lidl’s temperanillo is really nice as is their cheap rioja and chianti, we always have a few bottles to toro loco (nice with a curry :)) Also the Aldi or lidl champagne is really good too for the price.

binners

Always take the advice of experts. Bernard and Mani have always been my role models…..

tails
    Free Member

Does yourwine reach these shores Kiwijohn, what’s the brand?

budgierider67

Good shout on the Jamshed. Opened a bottle tonight & it’s now a firm favourite.

tails
    Free Member

Tried a few of these now the best are the D’ouro and Stellenbosch, how they knock these out for the price. People go there and fill their trollies like it’s the cash and carry.

The worst the good ordinary claret drinkable but just boring, should be renamed ordinary claret. The Jamshed WTF! Did I get a bad bottle it tastes like it’s had a bag of sugar added to it.

cranberry
    Free Member

The Wanted Zinfandel is a lovely wine for not much money, but it does pack a punch – It is known in my house as Velvet Cosh.

null

petec
    Free Member

this week i have mostly been drinking this from the wine soc

Pinot noir

Bought it a few weeks ago for a party, then in the last week or so it’s been everywhere as the wine to buy for xmas (i obv got lucky). It is actually pretty good for the money

Pale ruby. Amazingly inexpensive for a Hungarian wine! Smells of Pannonian-warmed Pinot. Certainly not burgundy and fully mature. Very slightly syrupy but there is no flab. What a steal! Polished and sweet but still refreshing. Very good value. – Jancis Robinson”

New to The Wine Society, this Hungarian pinot noir is all bright redcurrants, red cherries and cool lines – seriously impressive at the price, and a joy to drink slightly chilled. – Victoria Moore

Pinot noir’s elusive forest floor earthiness and juicy red berry fruits are both in evidence in a smart Hungarian bargain that is a good-value choice for those who favour a lighter red with the turkey and trimmings. – David Williams

• lunge

Polished off a bottle of this last night and it was very, very nice indeed. £10 ish a bottle and I shall be purchasing a few more bottles.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Kumala Pinotage from Asda. A fiver.

Maybe too full bodied for some to fall into the quaffable category but I like it.

thenorthwind

Aldi’s D’ouro called Animus is a lovely bottle of wine.

Yep – really good, and a fiver a bottle.

Recently tried the more expensive Animus “Reserva” with the black label – probably a better wine, more sophisticated, but the original (white label) stuff is perfect quaffing wine.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Any kinda Pinot Noir going tbh. Yet to find a bottle I don’t like.

eskay

My favourite everyday wine is the Aldi Pinot Noir that is just under a fiver

MrSmith
    Free Member

To me a snob is somebody who wants to be seen drinking something expensive but has no idea what it is (apart from expensive)
    Nothing wrong with liking wine because of its interesting flavour or how it’s made.
    Good wine is for sharing not showing off.

Been drinking a nice Romanian Pinot Noir this week, £8.50 a bottle.
    Made by a Brit/Romanian couple and very nice it is too.

https://noblegreen-production.s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/spree/images/6794/large/um0009rn.jpg?1525793986

anagallis_arvensis

Whatever red is reduced to about 6quid in tesco.

dantsw13

I used to bring back a LOT of Argentinian Malbec – the good Trumpeter Reserve was about £6 out there! Since the new government has tackled the blue dollar economy inflation is rife and it’s now cheaper here than there 😣

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘What’s your quaffable red wine?’ is closed to new replies.