Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Whats the best chain lube to use?
  • mikey3
    Free Member

One that does,nt make all the daily dust/crap sitck to it,even though i do clean the chain often.Just wondering as i,m just about to buy some ta.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use putoline chain wax. I have been using it for a couple of years now and am still on the same £18 a kilo tin.

It lasts ages on the chain, wear is reduced hugely and crap does not stick to it particularly.

its a messy faff to apply – its a big tin of solid wax you melt on the stove although I have got it to a fine art now.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Purple Extreme, expensive, but leaves the chain cleaner than anything I’ve used.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steve_b77
    Free Member

The muc-off wet stuff is superb,

Dry finishing line always gets me to the finishing line

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

half a dozen bikes, a couple of years worth of chain lube – thousands of miles, much reduced chain wear, a few quids worth used – i reckon the tin will last me 4 or 5 years at this rate

timwillows
    Free Member

Squirt seems to work well for me, chain easily cleaned by rinsing in water.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Squirt seems to work well for me, chain easily cleaned by rinsing in water.

Hence the reason that sqirt disappears halfway through my ride. Liked it in the ‘summer’ but for the other 350 days, it’s useless. Finish line green is good as a lubricant, but is like superglue to all the dirt and grit.

I keep going back to rock n roll extreme. nice and clean and doesn’t wash off as easy as others.

Whichever you choose, it’ll be a compromise of some sort.

Northwind

Squirt’s fantastic in the summer but I found it a total disaster in winter- got about 500 metres into the first muddy offroad section of my ride, started chainsucking terribly. Gave up, rode home, cleaned off Squirt, relubed with White Lightning, did same ride- no bother.

Epic Ride in the aerosol is my guilty secret… You get more miles out of the tubs, and they’re cheaper, and probably more environmentally friendly but the spray can makes application faster.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’m finding Fenwicks wet lube to work well this winter
    http://fenwicks.info/fenwicks-wet-lube.html

RoutineDean
    Free Member

Have to agree with TJ on this one, no faffing for me tho 🙂 picked up an old deep fat fryer from the booty, replaced fat with wax, jobs a good un 😉
    Handy to do it outside too, cos it bloody reeks!

NewRetroTom

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GZzjXUUH1w[/video]

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve been using this stuff for years and rate it.

http://www.rocklube.com/extreme.htm

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Rock n Rolls blue or red lube depending on whether I am doing the road or mountain bike.

It leaves the chain quite clean and grit does not seem to stick and it lasts.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Rock n Rolls blue or red lube depending on whether I am doing the road or mountain bike.

It leaves the chain quite clean and grit does not seem to stick and it lasts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anyone in Edinburgh want to try it email me and I’ll do a chain for you.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

GT85 ftw

jwmlee
    Free Member

I’ve been using squirt through winter and it is pretty good. Never had chain suck and it runs pretty smoothly in the wet and icy conditions. Was advised to start with a clean, fully degreased and dry chain. Apply, let dry and repeat. Reapply after rinsing the chain clean with water and drying with a rag after every ride. This topic always seems to contentious.

winrya
    Free Member

I hate to say this but having tried a vast array of lubes, halfords own brand dry lube is my favourite 😆

bigbloke
    Free Member

Rock n Roll Blue Extreme few years here.

vinnyeh

Squirt’s been fine for me all winter, though I don’t tend to do to many all dayers at this time of year.

Needs to be applied in the warmth of the house though, won’t dry outside, and goes all goobey in the bottle if it’s left in the van overnight.

twohats
    Free Member

Tried many lubes over the years and yet to find anything better than Rock n Roll blue.

powerofqman
    Free Member

The muc-off wet stuff is superb,

It is good lube but I’ve found that bloody everything sticks to it because it is quite thick. Turns into an oily paste rather quickly for me…

Oggles
    Free Member

Rock and Roll Extreme in winter. TF2 teflon spray in summer.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Been round the houses a few times with this + ended up with RnR extreme.
    Squirt lasts no time on wet crappy rides. Finish line wet turns into grinding paste even when properly wiped after application + takes more to clean after rides, so PITA after nightrides e.t.c. (see also most wet lubes). Pro-link stuff is fine in summer. IMHO.

jeb

Chain-L

http://www.chain-l.com/

-i tried most of those mentioned above, for me it give best drivetrain performance, less tear-wear, and last very long.

Blackhound

Chain-L is excellent. Got mine from Tredz.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Rock and roll extreme and squirt in the summer.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

I use lard, usually Trex is my preferred brand. In the summer I use dripping as its a bit thinner.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

anyone use green oil’s chain lube? any reviews?

avdave2

I use squirt on the hardtail which I tend only to use when the weathers good and the rigid hub geared bike which gets used off road every day in the filthiest conditions gets whatever is lying around used on it. Currently that’s gear box oil.

cheburashka
    Free Member

I’ve used White Lightning for years now (‘clean ride’, not the alky’s choice). Needs reapplying every 80- 100k or sometimes less depending on the weather.

Always stripped new chains but found it takes half a dozen applications of WL to ‘bed in’ and shifting suffers for the first couple of rides.

Whatever happened to Gozon?

JoeG
    Free Member

Squirt is my chain lube of choice at the moment.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just started with muc off wet myself. like it but agree it seems a bit too sticky.

Joes dont seem to do their wet lube any more. shame as it was perfect.

Rio

One of the best chain lubes I’ve found was some Castrol 5w30 synthetic oil intended for the car that I started using after my Finish Line wet lube ran out just before a ride, but like all wet lubes it turns into grinding paste if you don’t clean it off regularly so it’s a bit of a faff.

For the last couple of years I’ve been using Squirt lube; I intended it for the summer only but last year I thought I’d try it over the winter since my drivetrain was on its last legs. Surprisingly it was fine so I’ve carried on using it, drivetrain always looks clean and lasts well. YMMV if you regularly ride through water or for long periods in the rain.

mrbump
    Free Member

muc off wet. i don’t find sticky for a wet lube and it is quite thin but still lasts in wet weather . finish line wet is sticky crap. dry lubes are rubbish for off road except for when really dry and dusty IMO. ive tried white lighting wax lube ,but if did not lube the chain well and the chain rusted.

infidel
    Free Member

Pedros chain j was ok but I now use rock n roll gold which is the business.

mrbump
    Free Member

green oil chain lube is sticky.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

After post-ride cleaning/wiping and water dispersal using GT, apply wet lube to the inside of the chain only.

Before next ride, feel the chain and if it feels sticky you overdid lubing so wipe it off before you set off.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

i wouldn’t use TF2 extreme wet lube again – goes all weird and stringy, ends up everywhere no matter how much you wipe off the excess. The Finish Line wet lube seems much better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best chain lube to use?’ is closed to new replies.