• This topic has 43 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What’s happening to mayonnaise?
  • kormoran
    Free Member

I take a fairly simple approach to condiments. If it’s meat then ketchup or HP sauce is correct. If it’s fish then mayonnaise or tartar sauce is correct. Chips I am of the opinion that ketchup is correct although I understand some prefer mayo, to which I say live and let live

Now, the other day I opened a jar of mayonnaise to accompany a fish salad, and christ on a bike it tasted like salad cream. It was a Tesco own brand, and to be fair I’m typically a Hellman’s kind of guy, but blimey when did this happen? For as long as I remember mayo and salad cream are vastly different accompaniments.

Enraged, Tunbridge Wells

simondbarnes

My tesco mayonnaise tastes nothing like salad cream 🤷

doris5000

I bought some Heinz mayo by accident a while ago and it did taste a bit like salad cream

ads678

All mayonnaise is shit compared to the good stuff they have in France.

I always bring a few big jars back with me when I’m on holiday.

And ketchup is for children, unless there is nothing else to dip chips in.

jimdubleyou

There are various versions of Tesco’s own – with varying degrees of flavour (mostly based on fat content).

We have to check labels on everything due to Mrs Dubs allergies- just tell me, why does mayonnaise need paprika in it?

Tempted to perfect making our own – it’s not  that difficult

dyna-ti

Make your own then, its not difficult.

OK well it is a little bit difficult if it splits because you’ve added the oil too fast, but once you’ve got the technique down, its easy to whip up a batch.

oldnpastit

Tempted to perfect making our own – it’s not that difficult

Even I can make home made mayo. It’s on another level.

kormoran
    Free Member

Home made sounds tempting, any good recipes?

jimmy

why does mayonnaise need paprika in it?

Paprika is pretty much seasoning (and colouring) in lots of stuff.

sweepy
    Free Member

Making it is easy, but we don’t use much and the shop stuff seems to last forever, home made not so confident once its been in the fridge a while. I suppose that is maybe another reason to make your own.

You also use less when you make your own because you become acutely aware that it is almost entirely oil.

I just put the approximate amounts of egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice or cider vinegar and oil in the blender beaker, then blend keeping the blade right at the bottom of the beaker until everything has emulsified, if its too runny add more oil and go again

simondbarnes

Home made sounds tempting, any good recipes?

Couple of egg yolks, teaspoon of dijon, splash of vinegar, ~500 ml oil , bit of lemon juice and a pinch of salt.

binners

Salad cream is ace! It has to be Heinz though

Same as mayo must always be Hellmans

Own brand versions of either are shite!

I’ll buy own brand of most things but not condiments. They just can’t seem to get it right. Own brand Worcester sauce is a bloody travesty!

kormoran
    Free Member

Half a litre of oil!!

I’m **** having some of that! Sounds superb

chewkw
    Free Member

If you like mayonnaise then just get this from Tesco or B&M (under £2).

Winiary Mayonnaise 400Ml

kormoran
    Free Member

To be fair a cheese and salad cream sandwich is pretty good

dc1988

There was some tv program about mayonaise a year or so ago and it went through the different types that are typical in different European countries. Some more mustardy, some vinegary, some sweeter. I can’t remember which was which but it highlighted why it tastes different abroad.

oldnpastit

The trick is the emulsification. I found this really helpful. The video takes longer than actually making it once you know how.

ThePinkster

Aldi mayo (the stuff in the jar, not the squirty bottle) is excellent, far superior to Hellman’s, and especially Heinz, and much better value, too.

alpin
    Free Member

Both mayonnaise and salad cream are shite, imo.

Red or brown sauce.

Proper salad dressing.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I have to agree unfortunately.

Mainly because its now made with cheap sh*t palm/rapeseed oil, same with hundreds of previously nice items of food.

Robz
    Free Member

Those in the know use Kewpie Mayo from Japan.

chewkw
    Free Member

Those in the know use Kewpie Mayo from Japan.

Available at most Chinese supermarkets 🙂

binners

To be fair a cheese and salad cream sandwich is pretty good

@kormoran
    – It is indeed. This may sound a bit weird, but don’t knock it til you’ve tried it… a bit of salad cream on a crisp butty is a wonderful thing

winston
    Free Member

Heinz and hellmans are both inedible to me. Horrible stuff.

Stokes is the only UK brand we buy.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Thomas’s bakery, with outlets in the Furness peninsula, always ask, whatever the sandwich filling, “do you want salad cream?” The answer is always “Yes”. Cheese savoury, salad, egg and salad cream on a brown bun? Oooohhhh my word.

theotherjonv

salad cream is way better than mayonnaise. IMHO. Mayonnaise is too oily, and the only thing it’s good with is chips.

Grated cheese, onion and salad cream in a sandwich is fab. Add crisps to taste.

Robz
    Free Member

Danish Remoulade is superior to both mayo and salad cream.

woodster

I tend to go with Winiary these days, but i still miss Tesco organic which was really good.

I’m sure some artisan expensive stuff or making my own would be better, but there’s only so many hours in the day and pennies in the account.

Robz
    Free Member

It’s so true.. Mayonnaise only takes about 3 minutes and 4 ingredients to make in a food processor but I only do it about twice a year, usually when it’s a core component of something a bit fancy.

Houns

Mayonnaise is **** bland tasteless pap.

Salad Cream FTMFW!

kormoran
    Free Member

@kormoran – It is indeed. This may sound a bit weird, but don’t knock it til you’ve tried it… a bit of salad cream on a crisp butty is a wonderful thing

Noted

thols2

Try mixing ketchup with Caesar salad dressing. You’ll be amazed.

elray89
    Free Member

Gonna go against the grain here and offer the hipster opinion that the best mayo is the Japanese Kewpie stuff. Hard to find but it is a little different…it has MSG in it.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Real first world problem here . Mayo is easy to make but it’s worth considering how you store it and how long you store it for . Many hotel groups don’t allow chefs to make there own unless it’s made with pasteurised egg . The reason is that it’s made with raw egg yolks which are a high risk food poisoning ingredient.  FWIW I  don’t think Hellman’s or Tesco’s mayonnaise tastes anything like salad cream , which to be honest , I thought was dying out as most people favoued mayonnaise

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Sandwich Spread for the win 😉

misteralz
    Free Member

Third vote for Kewpie. And the second for Atora, from France. Everything else is vanilla shite in comparison.

Drac

You bought salad crème.

mattyfez

Hellmans, but it has to be put into a serving bowl, a “ramekin” if you will, and mixed with a hot chilli sauce of your choice.

johndoh
    Free Member

Couple of egg yolks, teaspoon of dijon, splash of vinegar, ~500 ml oil , bit of lemon juice and a pinch of salt.

surely you mean 50ml of oil?

simondbarnes

surely you mean 50ml of oil?

Err, no, I most definitely don’t.

(you may not need the whole 500ml but definitely way more than 50ml)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.