Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What waterproof camera?
  • RichT

I know nothing about cameras, but want a waterproof compact camera for taking on rides, holidays by the sea etc. I’ve seen the Fujifilm finepix xp70 and Nikon Coolpix aw120 or older aw110 as it is cheaper.
    Any others to consider under £200?
    Thanks

chrisdw
    Free Member

The Olympus one is good. Was about £200. Friend had the Panasonic Lumix one which does have more features. But pictures are of similar quality.

mau00149
    Free Member

have an FT1 panasonic lumix although there are now a few models since that one. Great little camera, had some cracking pics and video from it. I would certainly look at whatever the newer models are when it comes to replacing it (assuming it dies or just fancy an upgrade).

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve had Lumix FT5 for 18 months. Really good camera, it can be had for £200 of you shop around on line. Image quality is good and it copes well with action shots.

You have to be really sure you want waterproofness rather than just something which is weatherproof. If it’s very wet and horrible weather and you’re out biking chances are the pics won’t turn out great anyway, due to poor light and water on the lens. The cameras you mention above won’t offer great image quality and you would get a far nicer camera if you just got a standard camera and kept it in a dry bag.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Pretty happy with a Lumix FT20 here. Great for sticking in the jersey pocket and easy to use with gloves.

Did once breach the waterproof-ness, but that was after spending hours trying to bodyboard in the sea where it was repeatedly smashed into by some pretty large waves and sand whilst dangling off my wrist. It dried out and still works fine. I think if you’re going to do that sort of thing on a regular basis, a proper waterproof housing would better.

For normal swimming around and that its been fine, plus it was only 80 quid or so.

DrP

All cameras are completely waterproof.
    It’s just a marketing ploy to make you but thick plastic coated ones.
    Iphones are waterproof too…

DrP

jaymoid

I’ve got a Panasonic TS3 and have previously had a TS1. Don’t expect amazing pictures from these type of cameras, but they are very handy for what you described. The Nikon aw120 does look very good (130 is out too, but seems overpriced), you could also check out the olympus tough range, I’ve not really kept up to date with these though. Snapsort is good for comparing stat’s but that’s only half the picture.

Anyway my main tip is do not treat these like the waterproof cameras they are advertised to be, ie – I wouldn’t submerge them in water, especially for any long period of time. The slightest hair, spec of dust, or sub atomic particle on one of the seals will cause a leak. (Note – I’m on my 2nd waterproof camera), I treat these type of cameras as splash proof 🙂

I only submerge my gopro in water now as it has a proper external waterproof case which is a lot more resilliant.

beanum

I’ve got a Sony DSC-TX30 and it’s a good little camera. It isn’t ruggedized like most waterproof cameras but it’s a lot smaller as a result.

It’s a bit fiddly to use with cycling gloves and the interface is touchscreen only but I leave it in iA mode most of the time anyway..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bit over budget, but I’ve got a TG1. Main reason to mention it is that it’s super easy to use with gloves on. If they do a cheaper version with the same tap controls it would be well worth looking at.

nickjb
    Free Member

My pentax W something has been very waterproof. Happy to take it snorkelling and I’ve freedived a few metres down with it. That said the picture quality is pretty average and it really struggles in poor or variable light. These days I tend to take my better, non waterproof camera out for general biking and only take the waterproof one when I know it will get soaked. Might be worth considering one of these chinese Go Pros as well, eg SJ4000. The stills quality is pretty good and they are rugged, properly waterproof and only £40.

stumpy01

I’ve got a Nikon AW100 and it’s OK. Compared to a similar priced normal compact (I’ve got a similar priced Nikon compact) it is a bit laggy and the pics aren’t as good quality, but you have to accept some compromise at a given price point for the waterproofing.

I also considered the Olympus TG something or another, but John Lewis did me a great deal on the AW100 (it was their display one) so I ended up with that.

I considered a Panasonic, but it was really slippery – even when dry in the shop I almost dropped it, so ruled that one out. Probably worth going and trying some, if you can.

jaymoid – Member

Anyway my main tip is do not treat these like the waterproof cameras they are advertised to be, ie – I wouldn’t submerge them in water, especially for any long period of time. The slightest hair, spec of dust, or sub atomic particle on one of the seals will cause a leak. (Note – I’m on my 2nd waterproof camera), I treat these type of cameras as splash proof

Not in my experience. I used mine for extended periods of bobbing around in the water with a snorkel on while on my honeymoon, and for an hour long ‘try scuba’ session. It was fine, but yeah you need to make sure the seals are clean before closing it up.
    The Nikon does have a very secure two stage lock that means you’d be hard pressed to open it accidentally.

JAG

How about putting a standard camera in a waterproof bag?

I used a DiCAPac case during a recent snorkelling day out on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. It was fine – like this…

geoffj

If they do a cheaper version with the same tap controls it would be well worth looking at.

My Olympus TG-820 has the tap controls too.

Recommended.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’m happy with my Lumix FT20. I’ve not tried it underwater, but I’ve used it for plenty of running/walking/cycling in the rain, no problems.
    Easily fits in my pocket, and OK to use with gloves.

Its not great photo quality, but usually pretty good. Some nice photos on sunny days. Its not so good in poor light, with higher ISOs, but that’s the same as most other small/cheap compact cameras.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Do you have an ihone?

I got a Lifeproof case for it and have had my iPhone down to about 5m underwater with it. £70 online.

Now use a Sunco Dream2 “GroPro” (copy of GP2 I think) camera now for my underwater stuff as I wouldn’t go deeper than 5m with my mobile not tied to anything……

sweepy
    Free Member

I just got a lumix ft5 for £150 on ebay. Only used it a few times so dont listen to me on quality or reliability, listen to tomd for that, then listen to me on price.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My Olympus TG-820 has the tap controls too.

Recommended.

Good to hear!

Mine’s as tough as old boots, and takes some excellent pictures in most conditions. As with others, it has a double-catch on the latches. After submersion, I always (and I mean always!) dry the whole seal area as well as I can (bog roll works well!) and then leave it open to the elements to fully dry out before closing the seals again.

The tap controls are excellent, IMHO, especially when skiing or snorkelling.

Every time this thread comes up, I recommend what I have – as it’s the only waterproof camera I’ve tried – Olympus TG2

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fMK4Cv]Mask[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fN2U9U]Sunset3[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fdZEoF]Fishy[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And one from my TG1 for good measure!

jaymoid

Not in my experience. I used mine for extended periods of bobbing around in the water with a snorkel on while on my honeymoon, and for an hour long ‘try scuba’ session. It was fine, but yeah you need to make sure the seals are clean before closing it up.
    The Nikon does have a very secure two stage lock that means you’d be hard pressed to open it accidentally.

Yeah it wasn’t like the first dip, I’d used my TS1 for a surfing in Ireland and Fuertaventura, sailing, snowboarding, and snorkelling, but the snorkelling pictures are my last from that camera. It wasn’t that I accidentally opened the door or anything, it must have been a leaky seal (hair/dust/etc). It was however one of the first generation of waterproof cameras, it had two door/flaps (camera and battery) and no two stage locks, the TS3 has moved to one door for camera and battery and has the two phase lock as well. I still wouldn’t submerge it (once bitten twice shy!) I’d take the gopro instead, that’s proper waterproof. I’ve got a Sony Z2, that’s meant to be “waterproof” based on a flimsy push closable flap where the charger goes, I think you’d be mental to trust that mechanism!

Sometimes you don’t know when you are going to take a dip, waterpoofing can come in handy (I think this was on the TS1), me and a mate teaching a friend’s son how to sail – (or not as the case may be): video

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’ve had the Olympus Mju-tough for a while. Takes good pictures underwater, and OK pictures above water, especially if the light is good.

Can’t say I’ve ever worried about immersing it. Just chuck it to the kids when they’re in the pool or sea on holiday (always get a few odd looks).

I have the float strap as well, just in case I let go whilst we’re on a lake or similar.

geoffj

And one from my TG1 for good measure!

Stunning picture that – bet you don’t see many of those in the Solent 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, Geoff!

Won’t come as much of a surprise to hear it wasn’t in the Solent!

And, as mentioned in the photo thread, the scene with the turtles in Finding Nemo is documentary. Such awesomely chilled animals.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sweepy where on ebay did you get the FT5 for £150?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What waterproof camera?’ is closed to new replies.