Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What tyre to go with Ikon on rear? (29er)
  • Jungli
    Free Member

Hi all

So have been running Ikon Exo 2.2’s on Santa Cruz Tallboy and I’m considering something a bit more grippy for the front to run during autumn winter in the chilterns.. any recommendations? Still wanting a fast-ish tyre or should I just man up and run the Ikon’s throughout?

Thanks!

🙂

SirHC

Have a specialized ground control on the front (2.3) and a fastrak (2.2) on the rear. Very impressed with the grip from both, cheaper than maxxis as well (and made by the same people). No problem going tubeless either.

z1ppy

Have a ground control on my HT, but reckon the WTB Vigilante on my FS is grippier, could all be in my head though, but I’ve really taken to the WTB range.

welshfarmer

I run the Ikon rear and a Mountain King in black chilli on the front. Find it an excellent combo. In winter I will swap the Ikon for a Maxxis Beaver out back but only if it gets proper Welsh winter minging.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Ardent 2.4 front paired up with my Ikon 2.2 rear if I want some more grip than both Ikons.

chum3
    Free Member

The Ardent Race is worth a look. The love child of the Ikon and Ardent, and I think it’s great front tyre to an Ikon rear.

EDIT – you can also stick it on the rear, with something more grippy again up front, if you feel the need to go more ‘Enduro’

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I run Rocket Ron 2.25 with my Ikon rear.
    This is my summer race combo.
    Lighter than most and I am sure will do the job well right into Autumn.

bowglie

I’m running a ‘normal’ (60a? Compound) High Roller 2 on the front of my XC 29er, and find this gives a good balance of grip, plus a nice edge to lean the tyre onto. On my bigger bike (Tallbot LTc) I’m running an Ardent 2.2 rear, High Roller 3c front – there is a bit more grip on wet rock and roots, but the extra drag is noticeable.

One of my favourite tyres is the Minion DHF in the ordinary Maxxpro 60a compound – although I’ve never tried the 29er version. In the smaller wheel sizes, I found it gave a really good balance of rolling speed and grip – and I reckon it’s a bit less draggy than a high roller.

angeldust
    Free Member

I’ve been running Ardent Race up front with an Ikon the back. They have been great, but I won’t be using them once winter comes(also Chilterns).

batousan
    Free Member

I run Minion DHF up front and Ikon rear, great combo for my hardtail 😀

austen

More recently I’ve been running a Hans Dampf, but as the edges have gone I’m about to try a WTB Vigilante, which was excellent as a rear tyre on a recent Alps trip and is showing barely any wear.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What tyre to go with Ikon on rear? (29er)’ is closed to new replies.