Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • What the hell is it with The Welsh?
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The welsh can't pronounce their "language" propperly either

no more than the English can spell their hodge-podge of borrowed words 🙂

tazzymtb

hodge-podge! I'll have you know from my studies of the language it's a carefully chosen multi-cultural mix to reflect the key points of each tribe and country that invaded the sh*t out of england and in no way reflects the fact that we're crap at fighting and always get over-run by some cheese eating surrender monkeys or pickled herring munching nords, and the bloody saxons, and the romans or………

mansonsoul
    Free Member

But I think Wales is the best part of the UK… I live in Glasgow at the moment, but you mark my words, I'll live in Wales sooner or later.

IdleJon

tazzymtb – Member
    Idlejon- I think you'll find there's an "a" hiding at the end of Cwmbmrla

DOH! But I think you know what I mean?

rkk01
    Free Member

Ynysybwl

tazzymtb

"But I think Wales is the best part of the UK… I live in Glasgow at the moment" Compared to bits of Glasgow anywhere is a better bit of the uk, although the house market turnover rate is very good in glasgow due to all the premature drinking/smoking related deaths

zokes
    Free Member

Cwmystwyth

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I suppose you're not wrong tazzy… that might explain it eh!

Pigface
    Free Member

Bwlch

tony_m
    Free Member

[i]cliche alert[/i]

Some of my best friends are Welsh (well, one of them anyway), and although dw i ddim yn siarad Cymraeg myself, I do try to respect them and their heritage by pronouncing Welsh placenames and hillnames correctly.

But whenever I pass the takeaway in Bala advertising Byrgyrs, Cebabau, Pitsas, and the ATS in Mach offering Teiars, Batris, Egsosts, Siocs, I do wish they could come up with something completely different, rather than just changing a few letters so it sounds the same but is "spelt Welsh"!!! 😉

(And yes, I know they're all valid Welsh words, or at least most of them appear in my Oxford Modern Welsh Dictionary).

ahwiles
    Free Member

that's interesting Tony, i've been wondering about this for a while now,

no language is imune from imported words (there are no english words for orange, bungalow, or pyjamas), and it seems that welsh is mainly importing 'english' words.

how long before welsh becomes more like an english dialect with phonetic spelling, than a distinct language?

nuthin personal, just askin,

anyway, noswaith da!

etc.

IdleJon

What's the English for kebab or pizza?

How can anyone who speak one of the most bastardised languages in the world criticise another nation for importing foreign words into their language?

zokes
    Free Member

Cae di geg!

😉

rhys
    Free Member

One of the best place names is Ffroncysyllte. Quite literally it could be translated as Bra.

zokes
    Free Member

😀

So what about the village on the borders – 'Pant'?

rhys
    Free Member

dim "Cae di geg" ond "cae dy geg" neu "cae di dy geg", rwyn meddwyl?

IdleJon

Cae di geg!

Had to email my wife from work to ask her to translate that!

😳

slowmedown
    Free Member

Welsh is great, everyone hates the

Byrgyrs, Cebabau, Pitsas

, but some new welsh words are inspired…

… Microwave oven, not easy in welsh, oven is popty, so microwave oven becomes popty ping

westkipper
    Free Member

I think the Welsh flag is great.
    The Union flag is mess of home nations flags all being overpowered by the St georges cross,(accidental symbolism, perhaps?)
    Wales, not being considered important enough to be represented, outdo's all the other flags with the best design ever, and one that tells the story of its nations symbol, The red celtic dragon.
    The only really bad thing about Wales is its idiot prince 🙄

tony_m
    Free Member

How can anyone who speak one of the most bastardised languages in the world criticise another nation for importing foreign words into their language?

Apologies, didn't mean it to come across as critical, merely a comment on something that jars whenever I see it. FWIW, I love different languages – a friend of mine moved to the Outer Hebrides a while back, so I've also got the delights of Scots Gaelic to enjoy. 😕

but some new welsh words are inspired…

… Microwave oven, not easy in welsh, oven is popty, so microwave oven becomes popty ping
    I'd forgotten about popty ping – love that one! 🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

Crempog

IdleJon

No worries, tony.

I'm being a hypocrite anyway as I can barely speak a word of the language despite being born here and living here for 3/4s of my life.

My wife pretends to speak Welsh, but doesn't seem to understand when I speak to her in my pidgin Welsh.

a friend of mine moved to the Outer Hebrides a while back, so I've also got the delights of Scots Gaelic to enjoy.

I read somewhere that whisky and galore (from the book) were the only two words from Scots gaelic to make it into English. I've always wondered whether that is correct?

lister

Hwlffordd is known as Haverfordwest in english, cos Hwlffordd and Hereford were both destinations for cattle traders and used to get mixed up,so the english added West to the end to differentiate them.

(It translates as river crossing of the goats)

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

One for hairychested "twll dyn bob sais" 😯

Elmo
    Free Member

doctormickriviera………I'm not an arsehole,i won't bugger off!

Elmo
    Free Member

This Welsh……………its all Double Dutch to me……

Nico
    Free Member

Surely the English for pyjamas is jim-jams? And orange is Fanta.

me1onhead
    Free Member

FOCHRIW

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I lived in Ynysybwl when I was a student.

Heol-y-Mynach in old Bwl.

Happy Days!

iolo
    Free Member

Dwim yn dallt be ddiawl syn bod ar y penna defaid yma.
    Bechod ar y ffycars dwl.
    Im byd gwell i neud man siwr felly ma nwn licio meddwl fod nwn ddiawl o fois.
    Sw ni wth ym modd yn gwrando arno nwn siarad fel hyn mewn ty tafarn yng nghymru.
    Sa nwn codi dannadd i fynnu ar y ffor allan.

smiffy

I believe that Welsh is the only language to have their own spelling for taxi, I have certainly seen cabs in places where Chinese, Arabic, Greek, Finnish are the main language with TAXI on the roof.

colin@rush
    Free Member

Just because we have far superior riding to you, and you don't even get to ride the good stuff cause we chose not to show it to you lot… 🙂

Don't go taking the mick out the language, mind you been living here all my life cant speak a word of it 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

rhys – Member

dim "Cae di geg" ond "cae dy geg" neu "cae di dy geg", rwyn meddwyl?

To be perfectly honest, that's the first time I've ever had to write it out – it usually gets understood when hurled at chavs in Bangor, followed by that famous Caernarfon greeting 'cont' for good measure if required!

zokes
    Free Member

And sadly my welsh is nowhere near good enough to understand what Iolo's on about, but I do note with interest that it has something to do with sheep! 😉

(dafaid = sheep)

Surfr
    Free Member
    zokes
    Free Member

Well, being in Bangor-aye, and said with meaning, they definitely understand my intended definition of the word 'cont'

I like it this…

ahwiles
    Free Member

my apologies idlejon, it seems you missed my point entirely and went straight to offended and or angry.

you are right of course, english is a total mongrel of a language – perhaps more so than any other. it has absorbed words from languages from all over the world.

english is absorbing french words, french is absorbing english words. the process is slow, but it is happening, how long before they meet somewhere in the middle?

(or dutch, or spanish, or etc.)

why is is so offensive to suggest that a similar process is happening with english / welsh?

(i've 1 welsh granny – does that count?)

Pigface
    Free Member

Wenglish is spoken a lot in the valleys, "da iawn tidy" being a great example.

TheChunk
    Free Member

To tony_m,

I think part of the reason for the welshicised spellings is the simple fact that some of the letters in the English or international spelling of the words just don't exist in the Welsh alphabet, for example kebab, pizza, exhausts and shocks.

Dudie
    Free Member

I believe that Welsh is the only language to have their own spelling for taxi

Nah, a lot of places spell it TAKSI. Well, Macedonia does at least….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘What the hell is it with The Welsh?’ is closed to new replies.