Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What shoes for Tough Mudder
  • zilog6128

Looks like I’ll be doing one of these next year as part of a mate’s stag do. Anyone else contemplating it or done one already?

Not too worried about the fitness aspect (I will be working on my pullups though!) but I am slightly concerned about the water obstacles as I’m not that comfortable in the wet stuff. Hopefully the adrenaline/camaraderie on the day will make the difference!

piemonster

Any then wear Kahtoola KTS steels, that’ll sort it 👿

IanMunro
    Free Member

None. The tough don’t use them.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YErZ5GjOyas[/video]

dizcostix
    Free Member

any normal trainers you can still walk/run in – you will get wet straight away (they always design the courses like that)

Just suck it up. Its not a race so just enjoy it with your group together,

zilog6128

Sorry, the thread title was just a joke really based on all the what tyres? threads we get on here! Seems to have missed the mark a bit though! 🙂

Interested in hearing experiences from anyone who’s done it or hearing from others who have signed up! From what I understand though a big dose of MTFU is all that’s really required!

IanMunro
    Free Member

At least it’s spectator friendly 😀
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHZ16MD0WhI[/video]

somafunk

A friend did it back in January 2008, she did it in an extremely respectable time as well but it did look horrendous and that was just from spectating and wincing at some of the sights on the course as they dragged their limbs and broken bodies round the course, i really felt for some of the sights and especially for the girl who stumbled blind with mud in her eyes through the electrified hanging wire area, “Ouch!….Ouch….Ouch….Ouch!….Ouch!.

Tip – if your a quick runner then bolt out from the start as the queues for some of the obstacles can leave you standing around for ages and at that time of the year you will freeze and your muscles will never recover.

Inov8 shoes are pretty much derigour for this type of event i imagine, have a look online for recommendations, something very light, very grippy sole, very secure on the foot so you don’t lose them in the mud and don’t worry bout waterproofing or suchlike – it’s utterly pointless. Do wear a long tight if it’s cold as it will protect your legs from crawling through the tunnels, slides etc and also a long sleeved top, don’t bother with a hat (you’ll lose it) or a buff as it may get you caught up on the obstacles and don’t wear any baggy clothing for the same reason.

Good luck you fool 😀

zilog6128

Tip – if your a quick runner then bolt out from the start as the queues for some of the obstacles can leave you standing around for ages and at that time of the year you will freeze and your muscles will never recover.

Apparently they are better organised these days so there is less waiting around but that sounds like a very good idea regardless!

woffle
    Free Member

I’ve signed up for the Spartan 20K at Brands Hatch in November which is along the same lines.

I wouldn’t wear any shoes I was particularly attached to as I think unless they’re washable they’ll be fit for the bin once you’re done. I train in New Balance MT100. Also as mentioned ^^ not everyone finishes wearing two shoes 🙂

I’ve also been advised to get out quickly as the queue’s get hellish. I’m in the heat after the ‘elite’ runners so hopefully the course will be relatively clear…

hammerite
    Free Member

I’ve done Tough Guy a couple of times. XC shoes are probably the best thing for the job. They won’t be fit for binning when you’ve finished as they probably end up like that after every event you do.

Just get out and do a bit of running before hand. As you say you’re doing it for the laugh, but if you’re fit-ish you’ll have more of a laugh as you can laugh at your mates a bit more – and help them more.

tony24
    Free Member

Waffle I’ll see ya there as I signed up for that as well my legs are gonna hate because I had a knee injury my running has been very slack can still cover miles easy enough just not as fast as I would have liked. Hill sprints have helped.

I did the 5 k earlier this year that was fantastic hope this is the same think I’ll wear shorts again though as I wouldn’t want to run in wet tights :-/

richardk
    Free Member

If your shoes aren’t really tight, then use duct tape to attach them securely to your feet. Have done the Sodbury Slog in the past, and this was the only way that people had to prevent them from losing shoes in the boggy sections…

windydave13
    Free Member

I’m going to use these rascals!
    Tested them in the Tameside XL Triathlon the other week and worked quite well.

As above I have thought about gaffer taping them on.

supercyril
    Free Member

I did it a drumlanrig this year. It was ok, not worth the money though. Be aware those dangling electric shock thingies do pack quite a kick. I was convinced someone had kicked me in the face after one touched the back of my neck!

superfli
    Free Member

I’m signed up to Tough Mudder next year with a mate. He’s my usual running partner, so we are similar speed. I’ll just be wearing my usual XC running shoes, salomon GTX ultra something. Give em a wash after and they’ll be fine (they are filthy already anyway!).
    I’ve done a lot of adventure type racing, some with obstacles and did Hell Runner last year so have an idea of what to expect. Only thing I dont like is the cold. Hell Runner my hands were fkn frozen, but we have fire in this event dont we?!

zilog6128

Be aware those dangling electric shock thingies do pack quite a kick. I was convinced someone had kicked me in the face after one touched the back of my neck!

Ouch. Yeah, not looking forward to that. I guess it’s just a case of run through it quickly and then it’s done. How many times did you get shocked? Im assuming that not all of the wires are electrified, but obviously you don’t know which ones are and which aren’t!

Only thing I dont like is the cold. Hell Runner my hands were fkn frozen, but we have fire in this event dont we?!

I believe they have some kind of fire obstacle that you have to run through! Apparently it’s not too bad as long as you hold your breath (due to the smoke).

Most of the info I’ve found online refers to the US events. I read one report where they had refrigerated trucks and people shovelling ice into pools so they were literally only a few degrees above freezing! Doesn’t sound too pleasant! Can anyone who’s done a UK event comment on the state of the water?!

hammerite
    Free Member

No idea about Tough Mudder, but Tough Guy is in January so it’s naturally cold anyway.

First year I did it it was about 8C, but windy so when wet you just felt very cold for about 4 hours (I suffered from mild hypothermia). The following year they had to break the ice on the pools and ponds before we could go in, so the water was cold to say the least. I was a lot quicker though and there was less wind so I didn’t suffer as much – people were dropping like flies though.

I had to do the Sergeant Major routine on a mate who was getting so cold he shut off and just laid on the ground. Had to bawl at him to keep moving to try to get warm.

zilog6128

Well, went with Vivo Breatho Trails in the end as I picked some up cheap from Field & Trek. Don’t think it would’ve made much difference though, it hadn’t been raining and the mud was more sticky than slippery. Great fun though, enjoyed it immensely!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What shoes for Tough Mudder’ is closed to new replies.