Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what shock position?
  • moniex
    Free Member

building a kona stinky 24 and seem to be stuck at the first hurdle!

in what hole do I mount the shock and what is the difference?

there seems to be no difference in length (i did a rough measurement).

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks again!

Simone

GW
    Free Member

one position is slightly more progressive than the other

won’t make a whole load of difference TBH

JoeG
    Free Member

You know that it is a kids bike with 24″ wheels, I hope.

I think that yours is a 2007, based on this page from the Kona website. It shows the shock bolt in the front position, and I don’t see any mention of variable geometry or travel, so I don’t know why there are two mounting holes.

The 2008 frame looks the same, other than color here and here.

I looked at some of Kona’s Tech Stuff but didn’t see anything.

The 2010 and newer Stinky 2-4 appears to be a different frame design, with only one mounting hole.

I’d probably contact the appropriate person from their contacts page.

GW
    Free Member

Joe – not sure how you missed it but I’ve already answered the question correctly.

JoeG
    Free Member

GW – Member

one position is slightly more progressive than the other

won’t make a whole load of difference TBH

GW – Sorry; I didn’t know that it was a test! Congratulations on your correct answer; would you please show me where the OP and I should have looked in order to find this answer that you provided? I’m asking since I didn’t find anything about tuning the travel to be more or less progressive on Kona’s website.

And most manufacturers make a point of boasting about the tuning options of their bike, even if it is a small one like 10mm of travel. And this is a kid’s bike (though a pretty nice one) which makes me wonder whether the riders would be knowledgeable enough to understand whether they needed more or less progressive suspension, and then communicate that…

moniex
    Free Member

…mmmm so still not sure what i should use, may just stick with where it was originally!

This bike will be used in the alps by my 9 year old for some lift assisted riding. Bit over the top, but it was a bargain!

Rickos
    Free Member

Rear hole = more progressive so will ramp up and prevent bottom out on big hucks and gnarrr
    Front hole = more linear

For a 9 year old that probably weighs not very much, the front hole would be fine, I’d have thought.

moniex
    Free Member

Cheers rickos, my 9 year old is a wuss, so front hole it is!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what shock position?’ is closed to new replies.