Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What riding glasses
  • tonyd

It seems my eyes have deteriorated to the point where trail and road features are just a blurry mess now. I’ve ignored it so far as I generally ride the same trails and know where most of the obstacles are, and if I squint hard enough I can see cars coming at me on the road, but I’m starting to think riding glasses might be a good idea. Last week I had to ride to within about 6 inches of someone because I wasn’t sure if I knew them (turns out I didn’t, which made it weird).

I would rather spend more and buy something suitable than ruin/lose/break regular glasses. Ideally it’ll be something that can double up for running too. I’ve never tried contacts and not sure I can bring myself to put things in my eyes.

So recommendations please. I looked briefly and am thinking that Rudy Project Defenders or Cutline might do the job. Any others?

farmtrackofdoom
    Free Member

Hi

I’ve been using these for a number of years…..https://www.selectspecs.com/glasses/oakley/ox8136-crosslink-fit/ss601.78.html

The site also has other options as well.

jkomo

Just get a pair from Specsavers for £19.
    Then take your time over some posh ones. Sounds like you shouldn’t be driving, if you are.

tonyd

Cheap pair for now might be a good shout, I have a voucher from work that I can use.

To be clear, I do have regular glasses for day to day, including driving. Slightly tongue in cheek comment about seeing cars coming at me, but meant I have trouble reading signs or spotting potholes when riding on the road

GolfChick
    Free Member

I just use an older pair of normal prescription glasses on my road bike, my eyesight isn’t bad enough to need glasses on my MTB other than night rides. My current pair of everyday glasses only cost about £20 from an online glasses store so equally not fussed about them either.

jkomo

I use normal specs. Metal rimmed ones with nose pads sit away from the face and steam up less. Take your helmet into a proper shop and get them fitted properly.

BillOddie

At risk of coming across Oakley fanboi…

Normal Daytime Riding – Oakley Racing Jacket with Prizm Trail Lenses

Super Bright – Oakley Targetline with Prizm Grey Lenses – these are my normal sunglasses.

Night Riding – Oakley Marshal with standard clear Polycarbonate Lenses – these are my normal day to day glasses.

tonyd

Thanks Bill. I’m a big fan of Oakleys too, but am a bit annoyed at the cost of reglazing my two pairs of Oakley prescription sunglasses. I was thinking the Rudy Projects might be better as it looks like you can get interchangeable prescription lenses. I’d probably get a photochromatic for most stuff and then later perhaps something darker for bright sunny days.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Let me give you another suggestion and to show history I am as blind as a bat so have always needed riding glasses, now variofocal and more so lots of experience.

Started with Oakleys well known, great optics and matching price tag – had a few pairs.

Most recently went to Rad8 often found around these parts, couldn’t be nicer people (yes real people you can talk to not just your optician or a website) and bent over backwards to help and equally good optics, fabulous customer service and LOTS cheaper than Oakley.

Plus must be hones felt great to give money to a small UK business as opposed to global mega corp.

Hope that helps as another view and someone else to check out.

James

BillOddie

@tonyd if they are the ones with a insert that holds a mini prescription behind the main lens i would avoid.

In my experience they steam up loads and the inserts frame is just in the right spot to be in your peripheral vision.

Once you go direct glaze you never go back.  To be honest the cost of new oakley lenses is almost the same as whole new pair including the lenses.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What riding glasses’ is closed to new replies.