Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What happens next? Odds?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

BLM protestor statue replaces Colston

Statue defaced with ‘artistic flair’ to symbolise some kind of ‘comedy’ racism 1970s TV style: 10-1

Statue dragged from plinth and thrown into harbour by racist mob: 8-1

Statue defaced with vile unimaginative graffiti: 2-1

Death threats to the sculptor: 3-2

Death threats to the protestor: 2-1 on.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’ll be pretty transient. I think this is the 4th or 5th artwork to go there since Colston came down. It like an ad-hoc 4th plinth

eskay

Perhaps it could become a platform for temporary art exhibits?

Kryton57

And therein lies systemic racism, an influential black symbol reduced in 2 posts of a thread to a generic temporary replacement of minor concern rather than strongly supported for the message and culture it stands to represent.

trail_rat
    Free Member

reduced in 2 posts of a thread to a generic temporary replacement

You mean over and above the comments by the artist him self about this being a temporary install in the BBC report ?

nickjb
    Free Member

^ You may need to explain that one. Even the artist says it is transient: “But it is ultimately moveable,” he added. “This is not a permanent artwork.”

EDIT too slow 🙂

Kryton57

Sorry, maybe I should have said “referred by in two posts”.  My point being that the council / artists don’t seem to have stood up for its permanent inclusion.

twistedpencil

Krypton, the material used may only be temporary outside, who knows what happens next.

The piece is well made, but its street art at the moment, being installed in guerilla fashion, let’s be honest if Banksy had done this it would be protected but he’s one of very few artists to receive this treatment.

It would be great to see this stay, and maybe it will, hopefully the council and site owners can see the importance of this spot and commission a permanent statue to the, hopefully, historical turning point that we are living in.

dannyh
    Free Member

hopefully the council and site owners can see the importance of this spot and commission a permanent statue to the, hopefully, historical turning point that we are living in.

A late entry at 100-1.

twistedpencil

dannyh 🙂  only just realised who the artist is, that may sway the council and the odds might improve…

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe this statue should ultimately go into M-Shed, next to the graffiti covered Colston Statue, and help tell the story.

footflaps

reduced in 2 posts of a thread to a generic temporary replacement

I’m pretty sure the BLM movement are hoping for something more than just swapping out a few statues and then we all go back to normal.

Changing the statue doesn’t help anyone achieve anything, it’s the ultimate in pointless symbolic gestures.

johnx2
    Free Member

Changing the statue doesn’t help anyone achieve anything, it’s the ultimate in pointless symbolic gestures.

It’s taking the plinth…

JAG

eskay

Kryton57
    Subscriber
    And therein lies systemic racism, an influential black symbol reduced in 2 posts of a thread to a generic temporary replacement of minor concern rather than strongly supported for the message and culture it stands to represent.

Which 2 posts?

I am not sure if that includes my post, if it does I am pretty offended. My comment about it being a temporary platform for exhibits was based on what an incredibly powerful location it has now become and it is perfect for broadcasting anti-racist messages. Temporary pieces will allow many different messages to be conveyed and keep the discussion fresh.

Edit: I would like to add also that I am from Bristol and was happy to see what happened to the original statue.

nickjb
    Free Member

Well, that didn’t last very long. Seems they can take statues down pretty quickly when they want to

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Maybe this statue should ultimately go into M-Shed, next to the graffiti covered Colston Statue, and help tell the story.

Would be helpful in providing context. 👍

I’m pretty sure the BLM movement are hoping for something more than just swapping out a few statues and then we all go back to normal.

Indeed.

rhinofive

anyone have this?

statue removed by the Council

footflaps

anyone have this?

Makes sense, can’t really have people randomly pulling down statues and replacing them with whatever they want as a general rule…

reluctantjumper

Would be helpful in providing context. 👍

This is what needs to happen. It should be dealt with the same way that something like the Holocaust is, taught as a lesson in what was wrong with our history. All this talk of erasing the past (not on here, more generally) is the wrong approach. If we erase it then future generations cannot learn the lessons and are in danger of making the same mistakes.

dudeofdoom

Would have been nice if could have been left for the week, then to m-shed.

It was better than the Jimmy Saville one 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What happens next? Odds?’ is closed to new replies.