Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • What fat bike?
  • mucker

tomhoward

Just bought a Mukluk…..combination of half price and 0% was just too much

am I mad?

Certainly not! Or, at least, if you are then I am too

The Rigid one

takisawa2

20% off at Go Outdoors from 21st – 27th Nov.

£480 for a Calibre Dune has to be a bargain.

🙂

ivantate
    Free Member

Have just built some Hope Fatsno and Nextie 65mm rims for my 2015 Trek Farley.  Stuck with a 4” tyre with the frame so made sense to save some weight on the rim.

Along with a Trek Haru carbon fork off a later model it’s transformed the steering and eliminated any self steering which I got once below about 8psi.

Conditions aren’t good at the moment but expect it’s quite a bit faster too.  Atleast 1.5lb off rotating mass, and another lb from the fork

freddiest

Just a quick one…  Why are my pics not showing?  I’ve copied the BB code from Flickr and pasted it into the text box.  The preview is just showing the text from the BB code.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s the editor used by the new forum code, you have to use the “insert picture” tool at the RH end of the toolbar. Paste the Flikr BB code but then you have to remove the [ img ] & [ /img ] around the URI of the picture.

freddiest

Still doesn’t seem to be working.  Thanks anyway.  It’s not even a decent picture!

tomhoward

Or just copy/paste the url of the Flickr page in to the text box. This what I do. Don’t worry about what shows in the preview

freddiest

[url=https://flic.kr/p/R12dgs]New bike day![/url] by andyflaw, on Flickr

Success!

So this arrived today.  Sorry for the terrible pic.  First job is to have a go at tubeless.  I’m expecting to swap the mechanical brakes out but i’ll give them a chance first.

Dropper and bluto for the future maybe.

tomhoward

Dropper and bluto for the future maybe.

Definitely dropper, but I didn’t fit my bluto to my mukluk when I got it, and I really don’t miss it, so much that I sold the bluto.

freddiest

tomhoward

Tubeless and dropper first then.  I’ll give it some thought before I splash out on the Bluto.  Would be nice to keep it simple and save a bit of weight if I can.

AlasdairMc

Custom made out of 853 for its previous owner, who thankfully has the same taste in bikes and the same dimensions as me. It’s based on a Stooge but slightly higher up front, can run a Rohloff but I’ve not bothered with swapping it over yet. It’s my go-to exploration bike, good for everything although other bikes are faster on actual trails.

Ti truss fork from XACD, Salsa Salt Flat Ti bar and now sports a Kent Eriksen sweetpost from the classifieds. Very comfy

Northwind

I assumed I’d fit a bluto, it was one of the selling points for me with the dune. Never will, though.

winston
    Free Member

@andyflaw got mine today as well!

Deffo don’t rush for a Bluto the oem  carbon forks are a real plus on this bike from what mates in us have told me. But I’ve already ordered some new brakes….those hayes are comedy crap.

How is your 1 x11? If you back pedal when on the lowest gear (large sprocket) does the chain drop down the cassette to a smaller sprocket?

confused58

Hi,

Very interested in the Mukluk, can anyone give me feedback on how it sizes up. At 5″10″ is the medium a good fit?

Thanks

roverpig

I’ve got a Bluto in the shed if anyone is interested. I’ve fitted it to an ICT and a Dude. Even bought matching stickers for it each time (so currently orange) but found I actually preferred both bikes rigid.

freddiest

I’ve already ordered some new brakes

What did you go for?

freddiest

Very interested in the Mukluk, can anyone give me feedback on how it sizes up. At 5″10″ is the medium a good fit?

I’m 5’10” on a medium. According to the size guide 5’10” is bang in the middle of a medium. I’m sick of being in between sizes so I’m hoping that the mukluk will be a good fit. Not ridden mine yet so I can’t give you any more info other than it feels ok when riding it up my driveway.

winston
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and bought a large. Not ridden in anger but riding round my unit it feels perfect as I like a bike slightly sized up rather than down with quite a long effective tt at 636mm

@andyflaw SLX from Merlin

moorsey72
    Free Member

Behold! The pug is finished!

Pug

And the reason i ‘needed’ (i.e. justified to myself) her:

Pug life

Very pleased, loving the mukluks by the way.

winston
    Free Member

@tomhoward

Hi

Is that a large frame with a 150mm dropper?

Was it easy to fit internal cable?

tomhoward

Large with a 170mm reverb. I’m 6’ and a bit

Dunno, LBS did it 😉 there’s two ways of doing it, there’s a hole in the seat and downtube so you can route it that way, or you can go through the BB shell, which is what the LBS did, so no protruding hose 😊 they did mention it being a tough job though, and had no problems in the 10 months I’ve had it.

winston
    Free Member

Thanks. Was thinking bb shell for mine but wanted you to say – yeah piece of cake….

richardthird

On the other hand, having a rigid ss 29er I’d thought a Bluto would be a heavy waste on the fattie. Nope, with dropper it turns the fattie into a trail warrior.  So it stays on, except for long xc adventures where I put the carbon back on and it’s like having another bike.

tomhoward

*didn’t, too late to edit, didn’t say it was hard to do.

freddiest

How is your 1 x11? If you back pedal when on the lowest gear (large sprocket) does the chain drop down the cassette to a smaller sprocket?

Just tested this. Seems to change up and down the block smoothly but it does change when back pedalling. I can’t see it being too much of a problem and maybe won’t happen when the chain loosens off a bit?

roverpig

@richardthird Yes, I think it probably depends what else If anything) you ride. Sticking a bluto* on a fatbike does make it a much better trail bike. But I have a (full-suss) trail bike so quite like my fatbike to be something different. If it were my only bike, or my other bike was rigid I’d probably feel very different about the bluto.

*and dropper of course, but I wouldn’t (or rather can’t) ride anything without a dropper offroad these days.

@moorsey72
    Great looking bike. Did you actually enjoy the beach ride though. I’ve tried a few times, but just can’t seem to feel the love. I know some folk love it though so I guess I’m just not trying hard enough.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Had a Mukluk for 9 months now. Got mine from Merlin when they were reduced. Got the medium (5’10) and it fits perfectly. First to go were the brakes. Just terrible. Fitted hope x2’s.

Mastodons up front. Far better than Bluto’s. Dropped post. Jumbo Jim’s 4.8. Amazing bike. Love riding it.

winston
    Free Member

First outing today. Local trails (friston woods) were not unexpectedly a swamp.

Really positive first impressions. Seems to be the ideal bike for winter with almost unlimited grip but not a pig to handle. Climbs better than I thought it would and while its not fast it is faster than I would have been on my normal hardtail as it didn’t keep spinning out.

Downhill its faster in these conditions too as it just doesn’t care about muddy roots or deep rutted sections – rides over everything!

Got some self steering issues which can probably be cured by fiddling with pressures and clearly the brakes were put on as a joke and it needs a dropper AND mudguards….but wow how much fun on a wet rubbush day when I woyldn’t have bothered normally

moorsey72
    Free Member

Roverpig – thanks mate. Yes loving the beach thing, its quite varied on the wirral coastline though, sandy, pebbles, then goes to marshland towards the end of the estuary.  Stunning sunsets and sunrises if you time it right, can also just hop off onto the Wirral way (bridleway) if it gets heavy going. I also spend a bit of time on the road bike so its a nice alternative.  Looking forward to taking it over to north wales for some trails though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whilst all the fatties are here, does anyone have a set of forks going spare?

I’ve been short of a set to finish a build for ages!

150×15, and as tall as possible to match a 120mm bluto.

Ta.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I love my Ice Cream Truck, it’s a tank, but you can pretty much do whatever you like on it.

restlessshawn
    Free Member

That beargrease on Merlin…

According to Salsa you want to be 175cm for a medium, I’m only about 173.5ish, so it’d be too big yeah…though it does come with a 70mm stem which is quite long nowdays? Not sure if I want talking in or out of it.

richardthird

@Winston I’m a Friston local too. There’s only a couple of us fatties I see in there. JJs are terrible in the slop though so I’m on the rigid SS until it’s either frozen or dry.

Enjoy!

accu
    Free Member

another truck…love it, its my second one,
    the first was an M..this is L, im 6 and a bit
    M was fine but seatpost extension was ..mmhh..”impressive”..(long legs)
    just changed to ednas for the winter…

ict

epicyclo

It all depends what you want a fatbike for.

If you are going to use it around your trail centre just look for a fat version of your trail centre style bike (although plus sizes make more sense than fat for that IMO).

If you are going to use it for going into places where other bikes can’t go, or find it hard to go, eg snow or bogs or deep sand or icy ruts, then it’s all about the characteristics that make it handle well in those situations. I prefer the early models of fatbikes because they were built for that with little concession for other uses (eg steeper HAs because no need to provide for suspension). I have several fatbikes, and I still pick the early versions, ie Pugsley or 1st model 907 for what I call proper fatbike riding.

That said, first consideration on a fatbike should be the tyres and wheels. Tyres should be as supple as possible for ease of pedalling.

NormalMan

I prefer the early models of fatbikes because they were built for that with little concession for other uses (eg steeper HAs because no need to provide for suspension).

That is certainly where I am at with my fat bike. Kind of reminds me of the freedom my very first MTB (ATB) gave me.

scotroutes

According to Salsa you want to be 175cm for a medium, I’m only about 173.5ish, so it’d be too big yeah…though it does come with a 70mm stem which is quite long nowdays? Not sure if I want talking in or out of it.

If I was buying that frame I’d buy a medium and I’m 172cm. That’s based on my current fatbike having an ETT of 602mm, only 3mm shorter than the Beargrease.

swavis

Mk1 Mukluk, brilliant bike

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘What fat bike?’ is closed to new replies.