Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What chair for home office?
  • geomickb
    Free Member

I think it’s time for a new chair.

I work from home, so it needs to be good for 8 hours per day. Ideally < £100.

Cheers,

Mick

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is there a place near you that sells second hand office furniture?

For £100  a new chair is likely to be not very good. You might pick up a second hand bargain though.

I’ve bought loads of used furniture for site offices from here in Glasgow….

https://ofcg.co.uk/product-category/used-office-furniture/used-office-chairs/

mj27
    Free Member

Got a Herman Miller for £200 a few years ago from a second hand dealer and was suffering from a bad back injury at the time.

It’s better than you can imagine, so much better than a £40 one, has made such a difference.

Take your time, find one, buy it and you will be better off in the long run.

davea37

IKEA Markus? At £150 it’s a bit over your budget but not by much. Had mine over 6 years and it’s still comfortable.

Cougar

Ikea? They have loads that you can actually sit in.

Take a mate, grab a couple of curtain poles and tea trays, you can get in a spot of jousting while you’re there.

geomickb
    Free Member

I don’t want arms. They stop you getting close enough to the desk, or restrict the height. Prevents you relaxing shoulders.

toby

+1 on Ikea Markus, the arms are removable easily.

If your budget is firm, look on ebay for any within driving distance? There are usually a few offices having a revamp and they’re a pretty popular char.

tonyg2003

Second hand Herman Miller here too. Not cheap but I never have back issues now.

Murray

Another secondhand Herman Miller Aeron here. Arms come off if you want. It’s lasted 7 years so far whereas the cheapies only last a year or two.

geomickb
    Free Member

Budget isn’t fixed, just don’t want to break the bank.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

I’ve got at Kirby jumbo from officefurnitureonline.com
    linky

Starts at 94 quid. Price just depends on what you want… Arms or not, how much adjustment, fancy Chrome base or simple black base

Had one I used at the office for 3 years, and then took home when I changed job 3 years ago. Bought a new one earlier this year for the new office.

CaptainSlow

I’ve got a second hand Herman Miller and a second hand human scale. They were both a few hundred but given the thousands of hours a year spent in them, worth every penny.

Got mine from here I think – https://www.2ndhnd.com/collections/herman-miller

ji
    Free Member

If you are looking for something even cheaper from Ikea, I have had a Milberget (£60) for a year now and love it.

piha
    Free Member

If you have carpet on your home office then it would be advisable to get a chair without rollers. Rollers destroy carpet underlay (and then the carpet itself), therefore you will end up forking out many more dollars for a new carpet and underlay.

An underlay suitable for commercial premises will withstand a chair with rollers much better than ordinary residential underlay.

ElShalimo

If you’ve got a nice/decent carpet, you can buy plastic mats to protect it… like this one

geomickb
    Free Member

Dunner worry about the floor, it’s chipboard, covered in bike lube.

mrmoofo

Took a punt on a Herman Miller on EBay. 300 quid. It is the most uncomfortable chair I have ever sat in.
    Now replaced with an IKEA Markus

ElShalimo

mrmoofo’s tale of woe is why you really should try before you buy (if you can)

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve been sitting in a Humanscale Liberty every working day for 11 years now (just dug out the mail, I bought it in September 2008). I’m serious when I say it’s as good as new still. Even the cloth seat pad is obviously actually some poly weave because it is in immaculate condition still.

Looks like you can get refurbished ones for <£200:
    https://www.2ndhnd.com/products/humanscale-liberty-task-chair-in-new-grey-fabric is the same model as mine.

If it’s a chair for constant use I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

brant
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these for 17 years. It’s brilliant.

https://www.posture-chair.co.uk/

dogbone

Vitra AC4 Hi-Back Aluminium Frame in Red Fabric

My one arrived last week. Took 3 weeks to arrive. Minimal wear and tear. Bum aches after 8 hours but wife says that’s because it’s too boney.

mrmoofo

The odd thing about a Herman Miller is that initially it feels comfortable.
    But after an hour it is definitely not ….
    But yes, try before you buy and learn from my mistakes …

ElVino

Electric Chair if current incumbent of Home Office has her way

nicko74

Ikea for the win – they have a bunch in your price range and you can try them out in-store.

Ikea Langfjall for me. It’s not v exciting, but has bends in the right areas, and just the right amount of support without being too padded.

geomickb
    Free Member
    cheers_drive

Had Herman miller at work for 5 years, liked the mesh but didn’t find them comfortable at all. Have the Ikea Markus mentioned above, can’t fault it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What chair for home office?’ is closed to new replies.