Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What bike for the WHW?
  • sherry
    Free Member

I’m biking the West Highland Way in the summer. I have the option of using a full sus Commencal meta 6 or a hardtail Cove HJ with 140mm RS revaltions. Which bike would be better suited over 2 days? I’m thinking the Cove. I read doing it on a HT was like riding with square wheels once though!

13thfloormonk

Nah, big soft tyres on any bike would be fine, lots of wee rocks etc but nothing so prolonged and bumpy that it NEEDS a full sus.

I’ve ridden it either on a 100mm hardtail with fat tubeless tyres (great fun) or a 140mm hardtail, with fat tubeless tyres (slightly more fun).

sherry
    Free Member

Was thinking of Maxxis high rollers, 2.35 or 2.5? I think the FS would become tiresome on the climbs at about 34lb!

13thfloormonk

Well, bigger would be more fun on the rocky bits, and less punctures on the water bars, would be a bigger, draggier tyre than I’d want to pull around for 75km though, but I’ve never ridden HRs.

sherry
    Free Member

2.5 HR come up around a normal beefy 2.3 That said I have a good condition 2.35 HR and I would only need to buy one new one! Hmmm 2.35 it is I think. Cheers.

druidh
    Free Member

Err, get a CX bike

bri-72

I’m having same dilemma doing it end may. Erring towards FS. Not ridden WHW before

thegman67

I done it last summer over two days on a Kona Abracadabra and found that perfect.

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Hardtail with slighty larger volume tyres. 2.25 crossmmarks come up pretty big. Fast rolling also, should be good for the summer conditions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What bike for the WHW?’ is closed to new replies.