Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What bike bits should I get my wife to bring me back from the States?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Mrs P is over in NYC for the week with work, I don't really need anything brought back, but it's a good opportunity (I think?) to pick up some bits at US prices… which should work out cheaper than here right?

So, what would you suggest I consider? And are there any particularily good websites I should be browsing for closeout/bargain stuff? I've been looking at Jenson, any others?

cheers 🙂

Rivett
    Free Member

Get her to visit Gotham bikes.
    112 WEST BROADWAY
    NEW YORK, NY 10013
    A cool shop with a cat.

ken_shields
    Free Member

See if she could get me one of these and bring it back as hand luggage 😆

lagerfanny
    Free Member

good choice of motorcycle! very hardcore 8)………………………..

go on then i'll have one too, if they build it around a 2L S&S lump.

Bream
    Free Member

Well, unless there is a really good/cheap shop in NYC I think you'll struggle to find any real bargains as such 🙁

I was out in the US in July and visited several bike shops during my tour round and ended up buying nothing because the prices were no better than CRC 😐 And in a couple of cases actually more expensive, like the green XO cassette I was after!!!

I think for the best deal you have to look at the US versions of CRC and Wiggle, then have it delivered to your hotel or something.

Strange how you expect cheap kit when being abroad, I do it all the time, went to Japan and Korea 4 weeks ago and wanted to hunt down some good bike shops etc. Found a couple and they were much more expensive than CRC 😥

I think there are some good deals to be had in the US but it's not easy to find, good luck.

Bream
    Free Member

Yep, just checked and it's still the same for the SRAM PG990, $103 from Beyond Bikes = £63, CRC are selling them for £60 delivered 😯

Go figure 😕

TooTall
    Free Member

Get her to fill up on 'consumables' for you. Clif bars etc are sold in Walmart there. I was getting Nuun tablets for $3.89 a tube in a LBS rather than the £5.99 they are over here. Some things like DeFeet merino winter riding socks were $13 a pair as well.

psychle
    Free Member

Good idea Too Tall, shall do 🙂

I think for the best deal you have to look at the US versions of CRC and Wiggle

Does anyone know what these would be?

cheers 🙂

juan
    Free Member

speedgoat cycle is your friend 😉

Adders69
    Free Member

I'm in NYC in January for a few days, and I'm planning to get some Notubes wheels … although getting them back safely could be interesting.

Looking at American Classic hubs and the new Alpine rims – seem to be cheaper than UK!?

zinger
    Free Member

Cambria Bikes
    Speedgoat
    Beyond bikes

have shipped to a hotel for me on previous visits to the states

FOX Shocks & Fork are better value stateside, along with chris king stuff

higthepig
    Free Member

Crank Brothers and Exposure stuff was cheaper last month when I was in Tampa, however, make sure you do a good internet search beforehand. Also, think if something goes wrong, how do you get it back for warranty returns. Some clothing was cheaper, but again you have to check around to make sure.

sillyoldman

You'd never need to use a warranty on a Crank Bros product though eh 😉

dogmatix

If you do DH and dont have one… a TLD fullface… much cheaper in US

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What bike bits should I get my wife to bring me back from the States?’ is closed to new replies.